Home Audio guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Audio guys...

Since my trusty old Dolby Pro-Logic has obviously gone the way of the dinosaur, I'm wonder where to go in the home theater BS.

I used to be into it as I sold the equipment. But, Haven't researched it much lately at all, but I'll ask here first.

I'd like to get the surround sound in the living room back working with the current technology that the movies etc are using.

I guess I may have learned a lesson with a dedicated prologic decoding receiver/amp and wonder what I should do.

I am actually contemplating building a small PC for the living room, and getting the latest surround card for it and using that as the decoder for surround. That way when the technology changes, I swap out the card for the new tech, and I don't have a 400 dollar junk receiver sitting there that doesn't do what I need anymore and is delegated to the garage etc.

Whatchyall think?

Receiver again? Build a PC for the front room? Something else?

Thanks!

Re: Home Audio guys...

Receiver...

THX certified at minimum.

HK AVR8000 ( What I use and love it )

A good person for this might be Wulfe... He should know the latest and greatest...

Good luck! IM me over the weekend, I'm out for X-Mas shopping. Woohoo! FUN FUN the day after Thansgiving...

Pat

Comment

Build a PC using Windows Media Edition and your favorite sound card (with at least THX/dolby digital).
      Mate that with good digital 6.1 or 7.1 speakers rated at least 300 watts.
      That would RULE. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Em

P.S. We have an Audigy2 ZS Platinum soundcard and love it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool input.

Bear in mind, I'm not out for major explosive sound, just medium/low volume surround to enjoy movies a bit more.

I have four 301 series Bose Direct reflector speakers, and a fairly good quality center speaker. Just need (maybe) a sub and the decoder/amp.

Also, not looking to blow a ton. Just something that functions acceptably and gives me the surround.

Comment

Okay, then how about a Kenwood THX 6.1 surround receiver?
          All you would need with that is a subwoofer and three bi-directional Bose speakers or satellites.

Kenwood THX

This is the one the Sarge has been looking at. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

My girlfriend gave me one of THESE a couple years ago and it rattles my windows sufficiently. Not expensive and sounds great. HERE is another.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'd go with a receiver than through the PC, just because I hate PC's and don't find them too reliable. You'll be watching Star Wars when all of a sudden you'll get some spyware popup and Darth Vader will start stuttering. A receiver will probably give you better sound quality too, and for someone who has a CAE/VHT, I know you've got to be concerned about sound quality [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyways, Yamaha makes great receivers in every price range. I've had my Yamaha A/V receiver for 5-6 years now as part of my stereo (not home theater) and I'll probably be using it for another 10, great build and sound quality. I assume their home theater equipment is built similarly. A lot of college students get the RCA and JVC stuff, they're cheap and work well. You definitely do get what you pay for though... I got my dads old Sony receiver for home theater, and it pretty much blows away all those cheaper receivers in terms of dynamics, less noise, etc.

Comment

I use a Paradigm thingy. I also dont like using a computer. Its supposed to be a theatre not a computer room. Im more into the visuals anyway, so I spent my money on the visual aspect and only $1,000 for the receiver and speakers. My friend on the other hand did the opposite, and spent $15,000 on the speakers alone, but his visuals suck..........

Comment

Working...
                X