What kind of vehicle should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of vehicle should I get?

Well, my car has been in for repairs that have cost more this year than reasonable payments on another car. So the time has come for me to get something different. Unfortunately I am at a point where I have to buy based on need rather than want. Help a bro out and offer some suggestions on the right vehicle for me. And if you have any thoughts on dependability, maintenance costs, etc. don't hesitate to list them. Here's what I need:

Enough space for me, the wife and the dog (he's a puppy now but he's going to be big - 70lbs minimum)

Decent gas mileage - with the price of gas, I can't afford a Suburban or the like

Relatively low miles - I need something that is going to be dependable and trouble free for at least 3-4 years

Moderately priced - I figure we can afford monthly payments somewhere in the $200-$300 range

I'm not in a position to be too picky about much else. I can drive stick or auto, 4 cyl or 6 (v8 would just suck up too much gas). I would prefer not to have another coupe. The wife has a Grand Am sedan and that is about the smallest we can have with the dog if we ever plan on driving anywhere.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Re: What kind of vehicle should I get?

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, my car has been in for repairs that have cost more this year than reasonable payments on another car. So the time has come for me to get something different. Unfortunately I am at a point where I have to buy based on need rather than want. Help a bro out and offer some suggestions on the right vehicle for me. And if you have any thoughts on dependability, maintenance costs, etc. don't hesitate to list them. Here's what I need:

Enough space for me, the wife and the dog (he's a puppy now but he's going to be big - 70lbs minimum)

Decent gas mileage - with the price of gas, I can't afford a Suburban or the like

Relatively low miles - I need something that is going to be dependable and trouble free for at least 3-4 years

Moderately priced - I figure we can afford monthly payments somewhere in the $200-$300 range

I'm not in a position to be too picky about much else. I can drive stick or auto, 4 cyl or 6 (v8 would just suck up too much gas). I would prefer not to have another coupe. The wife has a Grand Am sedan and that is about the smallest we can have with the dog if we ever plan on driving anywhere.

Any thoughts? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about how much you're into driving (ie: just view a car as a way to get from point A to point B), but we have a Subaru WRX and love it. Great performace, 26 mpg, all-wheel-drive, very comfy. Ours is a sedan, but they also have a wagon version that would be ideal for the dog. You could get a recent used model for 200-300 per month, easy.

Comment

Used Nissan Maxima would be in the price range, though I don't don't if that's big enough for you. I have a 96 and I'm going to run it into the ground. bose sound system and very reliable. the newer ones have smaller interiors but anything prior to 2000 may have a big enough interior. I never liked Maximas before I got this one, it's turned out to be a pretty good car.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Ild suggjust like a subaru forester
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines as the Subaru wagon suggestions.

Comment

My girl has a 2001 Ford Escape V6 auto. Has auto 4WD. It is good looking, accelerates nicely. Decent on gas and pretty roomy inside even though it appears small from the outside. A 70 pound dog would sleep nicely across the back seat.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

If you're going to do a wagon, get the Dodge Magnum. And, you can even put a mini Marshall stack in the back, just like in the commercial! hehe.
              Just kidding, wagons, yuck!
              If you like your other Pontiac, go for a Vibe. My friend's wife has one and loves it. Pontiac sistered up with Toyota (Matrix) for this one, so it's very dependable compared to other Pontiacs.

Brian

Comment

As far as the Escape goes, I had a friend whose wife had one of those and they had nothing but problems with it. They got rid of it fast. I emailed another buddy of mine who has an Outback to see what his long term impressions of it were. I drove it from central Illinois to Wisconsin one time. It did drive nicely, but man were those seats uncomfortable.

If I had the money, I would get the Magnum. Hemi powered wagon, ooorahhhh!

Comment

Every house should have a truck in the driveway. Good for dump runs, hardware store pick ups and most importantly hauling guitar and band related equipment. Chevy and GMC make four door models with shorter beds (my father bought one and loves it). I own a '96 chevy S10 with a cap and it is great to have a covered storage area and a place to put my muddy lab after a hike. Think truck!!!!
                  "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

I had an S10 when I was in high school/undergrad. I loved it but it just didn't have enough room.

Comment

get that weird scion van looking thing. great gas mileage, a lot of room and they are fairly inexpensive. you can get them at toyota dealers.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I think that's the Scion xb, could be wrong. But, yeah, or the Honda Element (baby hummer, or bummer they're calling it).
                        I'm thinking about getting the Element. The only thing I don't like is how the shifter is on the dash in a weird spot.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Every house should have a truck in the driveway. Good for dump runs, hardware store pick ups and most importantly hauling guitar and band related equipment. Chevy and GMC make four door models with shorter beds (my father bought one and loves it). I own a '96 chevy S10 with a cap and it is great to have a covered storage area and a place to put my muddy lab after a hike. Think truck!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. We bought a GMC Canyon with the extended cab. It's big enough for the dog (he can have the back seat) gets 22 mpg, and can haul stuff!! Truck. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Well whatever you do buy, just don't buy from Jack Schmitt or Mungenast anything, trust me... Save yourself some grief!

Pat

Comment

An older Explorer would be great for haulin dog...........

Comment

Working...
                              X