Computer gurus, I need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer gurus, I need help...

I can't get my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 to work again. In Control Center->Audio/Multimedia, or whatever it's called in English Windows versions, XP just **** REFUSES to accept the M-Audio as the "standard audio device". I reinstalled it completely several times, put it in another PCI slot, had XP recognize it and it just won't work. I'm short of throwing the goddamn computer out the window... all help is appreciated...
    Also, in the hardware manager it says "Drivers have been activated but not started", whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

Re: Computer gurus, I need help...

Never used it, but that clue about not starting, maybe you ned to start them? Services maybe?

Dunno, like I said, I've never used one, typically, it's not that difficult and you've tried the obvious.

Pat

Comment

Well, I didn't find any drivers (.inf f.e.) that I could "start"...
      I just put in an old soundblaster of mine, and I get the same problem. WinXP's sound section is obviously **** up big time - I feel like destroying something.

Comment

I have my windows xp book right here... I will look up something and get back to you in a few minutes
        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I have read on many audio fourms that XP SP2 does not play nice with audio devices. Just a thought.

Comment

hey baum.. Have you configured the DIP switches or jumpers on the hardware? I believe the soundcard is considered plug and play, but windows will not run everything properly if the switches/ jumpers have not been configured, and the proper software has been installed (for the audio card, I am not sure if there is any software that comes with it)Otherwise consult the device manager for your computer. It will show the configuration of your computer's current settings that windows xp uses for hardware. It may or may not tell you why the new card was not functioning, though I admit the old card not working is kind of odd. If all else fails, call windows tech support. Good Luck.
            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Thanks for looking it up in your book, but there are no jumpers, and I'm still using XP1, and it worked on there before... that's why I'm so mad at it...
              In the audio/multimedia tab, it tells me that there's no sound card available that could be used as "preferred device" but it just found and configured that goddamned thing itself...
              I'll try and repair it now, it's 11pm here and I won't get any help on the phone. Suckers.

Comment

Also,make sure if your MB had onboard sound that it is disabled in bios,otherwise it COULD cause a conflict.

Comment

I have the same card and XP SP2 and I don't have any issues.

You should look in the device manager and see if there is a conflict with intergrated soundcard (if there is one on you mother board) and uninstall it.

Look at the drver version that you have as I know I downloaded at least one upgrade from M-audio's site. Download the driver, uninstall the curren M-Audio drive and install the new one.

What has changed recently in on you system? Have you added any new audio software or tried anything demos?
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Onboard-soundcard was disabled all the time.
                    I installed a PCI Soundblaster for gaming purposes (as the MAudio doesn't have a gameport), didn't find any explicit gameport drivers (WinXP autodetected the audio drivers so I figured it would do no harm) so I uninstalled it from the system and then the fun began. It wouldn't accept either card anymore, neither with both cards in nor with only one of them, no matter if I installed Creative Drivers from CD, the Windows ones or the newest MAudio ones.
                    Also, there were no IRQ or resource conflicts at any point of time, save for the missing gameport drivers.
                    I always cleaned up afterwards, and I don't understand how it won't accept *any* kind of soundcard now anymore. Guess I'm in for a reinstall...

Comment

Working...
                    X