Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the pro's use the amps you see on stage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do the pro\'s use the amps you see on stage?

I am just posing the question with alot of rumours that I have heard. I do know that Lifeson used the ML250 because I was backstage and saw it. He even joked on how small it was. I have read several articles mentioning that recently EVH isn't using 5150's live. I heard that Dimebag was using RG100's in his backline. The Warheads were not used. It is an interesting topic that I have often wondered about.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Do you think Dimebag ever actually used Warheads or those X2 heads? I

[/ QUOTE ]
      Dime did use them.
      I have pics of his gears from the tour and he used one X2 for lead,2 Titan heads for rhythm(one for dry and another one for wet) and RH100 for clean stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I am just posing the question with alot of rumours that I have heard. I do know that Lifeson used the ML250 because I was backstage and saw it. He even joked on how small it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a different situation, though, because Alex openly admitted using GK amps at the time--in fact, wasn't he an endorser?

His tone in the Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows era made me think about getting a GK amp--he was my main influence during that period.

On the other hand, I was under the impression back then that he used GK amps mostly in the studio, and that he brought out the old Marshalls when it came time to tour. Given Rush's hard work on recreating studio sounds on stage, it's possible that used each setup on stage during different songs.

Comment

I think Metallica is like that with Mesa. They use them sometimes but Ive seen a lot of pictures of their stuff and they have like VHT, Diezel, and modded Marshalls. Just like guitars, ESP but are using Gibson mroe and more. Same with Slayer, Jeff had the ESP one but seemed to use his Jacksons more. I got in an argument with a friend of mine about this picture of dimebag playing infront of like a 2 story wall of Warheads. You could see that only like 4 cabs were miced and there wasnt even cables running from the amps. But he was so sure that Dimbag was using them all.

Comment

The GK 250ML MK2 is a great little amp, I used one for years. I just thought the cleans were a little lacking from sharing the same 4 band EQ.

Comment

Ace, couple questions. I was always curious, how can bands get good tone from 50 watt and 100 watt amp in small clubs and bars? I'm talking metal/hard rock. It seems like way too much amp for small to medium size venues.

Any tips for players?
              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

A power attenuator is one way; get your output distortion and bring the volume down. Also running your signal into fewer speakers, say 1 or 2 active 12" speakers, will get speaker breakup at a lower level than driving a full stack of 8 12"s. Also, some amps just have a good interaction between the preamp and output sections that you don't have to totally crank
                the amp. Then there are THD Yellowjackets, which convert EL34s or 6L6s to EL84s and drop the wattage. Some amps like Carvins have 1/2 power switches to shut off a pair of tubes and lower the output. You could take a 100-watt Carvin head, flip the 1/2-power switch, put a pair of Yellowjackets in the active tube sockets, and you've got a 20-watt club terror
                now. There are probably another dozen ways I haven't thought of to mention.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Ace, couple questions. I was always curious, how can bands get good tone from 50 watt and 100 watt amp in small clubs and bars? I'm talking metal/hard rock. It seems like way too much amp for small to medium size venues.

Any tips for players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace may have a different answer, but when you play death metal and the like, most want to get their tone before break up. It's not like a hard rock band where you would want to crank the power section. For me I like a 100 watt thru a 4x12 with the master at about 5-7 and the pre amp about the same, then I hope they can run it thru a PA.

I had to stop using my YCV 80 watt because it broke up too soon, but if I was doing AC/DC covers it would have been perfect.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                  X