Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what kind of degree do you have?

[ QUOTE ]
    and even if I've not displayed them here, I've got excellent people skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Deneb - I don't want to hijack the thread but what I was referring to isn't reality, it's the perception of reality (interviews deal in the perception of reality, not reality). You're fine now and that's good to hear but the moment you discuss missing most of 2 years of high school with a recruiter you create the perception that you're sickly and will be a detriment rather than a benefit to the business that's interviewing you. Once you create that perception you’re finished. Don't EVER admit to a liability or allow a prospective employer to infer one against you in an interview, the moment you do you go straight to the bottom of the pile of resumes.

On a resume I’d handle your situation like this: under the education section list “Attended X High School, GED score 299/300, SAT 1275 (XX percentile).” That paints you as a very bright guy without putting forth any info that allows the reader to draw a negative inference against you. If they ask about the GED, tell a good but unverifiable story (e.g., backpacking around Europe, riding a motorcycle to Alaska, band going on tour your senior year, etc.) but whatever you do don’t tell the truth and don’t ever mention your past medical problems. No good can possibly come of that, particularly since they’re past and no longer a concern. FWIW I would view someone with a 299/300 GED & a 1275 SAT in a far better light than the average high school graduate but I’d never hire someone who told the story you outlined in your previous post. Better to hire a healthy dumbass than a potential liability with brains.

It’s absolutely true that a (probably) small percentage of potential employers will hold the GED against you but would you really want to work for someone who’d judge you that way? I wouldn’t. And it’s not true that the GED will kill your prospects in the future. E.g., I know someone who immigrated to the US, quit school before their freshman year in HS, took the GED, was refused admission to a Pac-10 school due to their age, instead got a community college degree, attended said Pac-10 school graduating with two BS degrees at the age of 18, and was admitted to and matriculated from an Ivy League law school before the age of 22. Obviously the GED isn’t a deal-breaker at all.

I hope a few others who occasionally read resumes will PM you with some thoughts on this as I think you're weighting things incorrectly. We may disagree on politics (you're a **** idiot where politics are concerned) but I still wish you the best & will help if possible.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I am working on my M.S. in Engineering Physics. Hopefully I will, someday, end up with a Ph.D. in AI, Complex Systems or Robotics.

Comment

Law school.

Might actually switch to bio-engineering to go into Medicine. I am rated 90% likely to become a Surgeon. And cutting people open and earning a couple of K for doing it is something that does appeal to me.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Right now I'm a civil servant [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That said, I've got quite a few other friends that are C.S's as well, and with that said, we know LOTS of people.

My buddy Ryan knows a woman who writes professional resumes, and she said, with my job history, and my references, I can potentially leave my education out of it.

She also said something along the lines of what you said, "say you were out of the country, or something along those lines." She also said to do research on it, like if I was biking, where did I bike at? That way, IF he asks, I can say, but if he never asks, I don't have to say.

It does bother me, because every class I took in school, I had A.P. classes. I would always place in a high percentile in everything, (those national placement tests, I was always in the 97-99 percentile.) So I've got great education, even though I didn't finish.

Here is the best part, in high school you can take A.P. classes, those classes count as college credits when you go to college, since I signed out, well you get the idea.

My political views are my own, and that's that. It's not something, I'm getting into.

I do appreciate your replies to my situation, however, I don't like being a liar. Being a good boss, also means being a good judge of people. If he couldn't tell, what's in the past, is in the past, then I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Comment

Associate in Computer Information Systems Information Systems and a Diploma in Network and Security Management.
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I'm studying Sociology at the University of Tilburg (:
                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Ramapo College BA in Communication/Arts. Graphic Design Adobe Certified from Montclair State University. And also a BS in BS... And I am a practicing gynecologist...often... lol

Comment

I slid out of HS by the skin of my teeth some 25 years ago convinced I was gonna be a rockstar.
                    Here I am at the ripe old age of 43 with major health issues and not a lot to show for my years but lots of way cool memories.

...and I wouldn't change a thing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

getting a lot closer to my Ir (something like master of science) in technical business administration. will take like 1 year or something like that before getting my degree

Harrald

Comment

I have a B.A. in Economics and, after a ten year hiatus, am currently in grad school for my MBA. Scheduled to be done in the spring of '06/ [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

1 week away from getting my bachelor's in Music Education

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            and even if I've not displayed them here, I've got excellent people skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"GODDAMNIT WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! I WORK WITH THE CUSTOMERS, I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS! " [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Double majoring in Philosophy and Biology. From there, who knows, maybe law school.

Comment

College is for individuals who lack entrepreneurial skills. Just remember, some of the wealthiest folks in history didn't even graduate high school. I have many good friends who went on to college after high school, and they are still punching a clock making money for other people. They make decent money, but they have no freedom (and lots of stress). I know there are exceptions to this rule, but not many.
                                Me?... I work as many or as few hours as I want. I don't have to go to work tommorow if I don't want to. I can take 3 hours off for lunch and there's nobody to answer to. I make my own schedule but I'm solely responsible for my income, so I can't get too lazy! Truth is sometimes I work 7 days a week, 14 hours a day, but that's because I'm having fun, and I can do that when and if I want to. If I choose not to, I have that choice. When I do work, I'm making money for me, not my "boss".
                                And yes, I have two degrees, both of which were a huge waste of my time and money!
                                This post isn't knocking a college education, just offering an alternative way of thinking which has paid off for me.
                                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X