Pearl Harbor Dec. 7,1941 lets not forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Harbor Dec. 7,1941 lets not forget

I was fortunate enough to have been stationed at N.A.S Barbers Point just a few miles away from Pearl harbor. I made sure that I went to the Arizona memorial while I was in Hawaii. It is something I will never forget. I have posted some pics for you. The list of names that you see are only from the Arizona. It is shocking when you see how many men went down with that one ship.
    Arizona Memorial

Gun turret 3

The Honored

Godspeed gentlemen

Re: Pearl Harbor Dec. 7,1941 lets not forget

There's a wall on the side of a warehouse that's right off the Kennedy Expressway here in Chicago, it has a big American flag painted in the middle of it. On one side it reads "Dec. 7, 1941". On the other side it reads "Sept. 11, 2001". Just below all of it, it reads "Never Forget".
    Occupy JCF

Comment

To all previous and present military personnel, THANK YOU!!!
      "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I was fortunate enough to have been stationed at N.A.S Barbers Point just a few miles away from Pearl harbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go out there frequently since I still work as a Navy Instructor after I retired. I make sure I always stop by the Arizona when I'm there. There are way too many people's names on that plaque. That movie they show before you go out there is chilling. Sometimes I just stand there looking around in the sky and picture those sailors that may have been standing in the same place 63 years ago watching it happening.
        Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

A trip to the Arizona Memorial is a very solemn event. I'll never forget my first time visiting the monument, it was humbling to see all of the names on the wall and to be looking down on the ship.

mudkicker, when were you at Barbers Point? I lived in Aiea from 1988-1991 and loved the place. My apartment overlooked Pearl Harbor, from the hood.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Mudkicker,

Thank you for the pix! Never forget our country's history, and the sacrifices that were made!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Adrian
            All hail the 'King'
            R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Jimmy I was there from 92-94 after N.A.S Moffett field became a victem of Base closures. Now Barbers Point is gone also. My wife and I had a blast in Hawaii. We lived in the Coral Rose housing, the WW 2 era dumps. But it was free.

Comment

DonF what do you do for the Navy?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  DonF what do you do for the Navy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a GMG1, now I go out to sea with the Navy, as a civilian instuctor and train them. Barber's Point, were you an airdale? [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Barber's Point, were you an airdale?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. AO3(AC). Spent 6 years flying in P-3s looking for subs. Although I did spend a 2 days training on the USS BlueJacket in Orlando. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (It's not really a ship, just a mock of one in the middle of a drill field at the old Orlando bootcamp.) Also my entire crew sent 90 minutes trying to find our way off of the USS Nimitz. We had to go on board and get a load of sonobuoys. The ship going Navy was so helpful. Finally a civilian employee showed us how to read the markers on ship, and we soon found our way out. You would think one of us would have remembered how to read one of those bulkhead markers from the BMR but none of us did.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yep. AO3(AC).

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a lot of AO friends [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I keep in touch with since we're both ordnance family. Sonobuoys [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] have always been a nightmare, and I still deal with them. Nice pictures of the Arizona!

Comment

Stashed away somewhere I have a great shot of her from above. We were doing one of those squadron PR flights. We flew over Ford Island so that our plane could be photographed with the Arizona in foreground. While we did the fly over I got some great shots of the Arizona.
                        How does the tour work now with big MO at Pearl? Gunners Mate you rarely see any, they were slowly being phased out while I was in along with the BTs. If I remember one of my CCs in bootcamp was a gunners mate the other was a Seabee. I was supposed to be an AW but after I joined there was a shortage of AOs so I was forced into the rate. I hated it at first until I found out I would be land based my entire enlistment. I never complained again.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          How does the tour work now with big MO at Pearl? Gunners Mate you rarely see any, they were slowly being phased out while I was in along with the BTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

BT's are gone, but gunner's are still around. They're called GM's instead of GMG,GMM or GMT now. When I was in Puerto Rico, our Weapons Dept was made up of GMGs , AO's and TM's. It seemed to me the AO's were always the tightest group. We'd bust our ass at bomb build-up then hit the bar afterwards. A friend of mine named Bushong and me used to sit out on our balcony with guitars, on base trying to figure out the latest Skynrd song. He was straight out of Alabama and I was straight out of the Bronx. It took a while for both of us to be able to communicate without saying 'huh ,what the hell was that word' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Big MO is just a do-yourself tour. They have place you can go, can't go. They do have tour guides if you want, but I never did. I still get teary eyed looking at the guns onboard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] since I was a gun captain on two of my ships.

Comment

Inflight AOs are just about gone also. When I left the Navy in 94 they were phasing us out on P3s. That left us flying the mail on CODs or door gunner in UH-1 hueys. There are a few who qualifed as flight engineers on P3s.
                            You know its fitting to have the Arizona the first casualty of the Pacific theatre and the Missouri the ship the Japanese surrendered on together as bookends of WW 2. My wife and I want to go back to see the Missouri, and to see how different Oahu is 10 years later.

Comment

WW2 vets will always have my respect as do all the military personell who have served. REgardless of whether or not I agree with why.

Comment

Working...
                              X