Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BILL Z BUB'S ESSENTIAL METAL!

What's up JCMFrs...yes it is I.

This thread will be solely dedicated to exposing the best underground metal and players of ALL metal genres and it's players.

I don't want to discus such bands such as Metallica , Anthrax , Cradle Of Filth , Exodus , Testament , and the like ...I will use them as "benchmarks" and or "references"...because how many are not already aware of these bands.

This is STRICTLY "underground" metal....bands that should and must be heard by ALL.

This is NOT going to be another psycho babble thread..No Sex , Relgion , Politics or any other dribble will be posted here...I have a thread for that.

This is Stricty a METAL thread for the METAL AFICIONADOS here.

I attempted to compile a list before at my thread...but I tried to name every metal band in the world...NEVER happen...too many great bands imerging almost on a daily basis to keep up with . But we can always keep up as we move along...that will be much easier.

So let's focus on only greatest Metal that nobody will ever waste their hard earned dollars on again...because I have wasted too much money on crap ...like a lot of you have.

I will tell you that I do not know ALL metal bands ...nobody does....but I do know alot. Only because it is my main true personal joy and devotion. So I may need some help from some of you as we move along..

I want this to be the most complete "Metal" thread to ever grace the JCF or anywhere for that matter and it will be if we all work at it.

It will cover ALL metal genres from the begining to the very present. Every band that is essential WILL be posted here in time.

It will cover classic , thrash , speed , power , power-prog , prog , new wave of Swedish thrash , NWOBHM , death , black , grindcore , metalcore , very technical , very obscure and very rare....EVERYTHING.

I want to have some sort of uniform to this thread. I really want to avoid just throwing bands out there at random...I want to select the actual genre catagory and approach it like that due to most people having their favorite genre..and ONLY their favorite genre...we may change that a bit doing this....that is my bottom line intention.

This is only the introduction to this thread and I will be posting bands continously and with the help of others we can cover some serious ground....underground!

This will be for ALL of us to enjoy and please I'm very open to suggestions on how to execute this properly.

Most folks request and PM me about Power Metal ..so I will concentrate on this first I suppose.

I may assign others to work on other specialized genres...I know Ace and others are very seasoned in the world of grindcore and the like ...so this can happen.

Now lets have some fun and discuss ALL THINGS METAL!!!

Your JCF Brother in Metal [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Bill Z Bub
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Re: BILL Z BUB\'S ESSENTIAL METAL!

First band to check out.

Biomechanical

www.biomechanical.co.uk

Kind of a mixture of Judas Priest, Metallica and Dream Theater. a very cool band, you're missing out if you don't listen to them!!
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

You see the first post and already yours truly was turned onto a great band...thanks Steve. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Carnival In Coal

http://www.carnivalincoal.com/

It can get brutal and it can get pretty funky, but very melancholy and strange at times. Some songs are very slow and soft, others are not. Wide range of influences, from Jazz, Metal, Funk, Grind, Elevator, Electronic, etc... Very talented and off the wall musicians. The only way I can really describe them... It's like a Mr. Bungle that gets brutal a little bit. I would highly recommend them, but they're not for everyone. They're on their third album (two independents) and recently got signed to Earache.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Woah, that is one fu**ed up band
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Ok here is my first stab at this.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

ABRAXAS - Tomorrow's world - This is on LMB records and they are a mixture between Helloween and Dream Theatre...very polished German Power-Prog from 1993. This is very good but not exactly reqired....not a waste of money.

ABSTRAKT ALGEBRA - one of my personal faves ..Mats Levin (vox) and Mike Wead (guitars) ..this is dark progressive power metal that is a required listen IMO.(Wead) is of Hexenhouse , Momento Mori and Kind Diamond fame and would be appreciated by any fan of those bands...ESSENTIAL!

ADAGIO - Santus Ignis / Underworld...Very polished Dark , Neo Classical shred Power Prog...very dynamic from ballads to power...any fan of this genre would love this band...I recommend their first "Santus Ignis" over "Underworld"...a must hear.

AFTER FOREVER - well there has been a lot of buzz about this female fronted "Epic" power prog band. Yes there is some great moments thru their career but they seem to loose momentum often when they do get a rollin'..a lighter Nightwish if you will...I like Nightwish a lot better..but if you LOVE Nightwish...you should investigate this if you haven't already.

AFTERWORLD - Connecting Animals / Dark side of Mind - (Noise) German Power metal that should appeal to such fans of Gamma Ray and Helloween..definitley worth an investigation for true power metal fans....Good but not extremley essential.

ANGEL DUST - Very good Dynamic Dark Power Prog band ...these guys started out as more of a thrash band with the rare cult classic "Into the dark past"..which used to go for $150 on E Bay before it's re-issue..Now they are a very polished band that is worth having IMO..on Century Media.

AGENT STEEL - I love these guys back then and I love these guys now ...total kick ass power metal ...if your into Priest and the like this is essential stuff..their last effort "Order of the Illuminati" is friggin' killer!

ANGRA - these power metallers from Brazil kick ass..Top notch musicianship of the highest calibre...great songs and production ...every bit as essential as Gamma Ray or Helloween...a must for power metal fans.

ANNIHILATOR - Jeff Waters is awesome ..there is only One Jeff Waters ..he's incredible..all of their back catlogue to me is essential ..classics like "Alice in Hell" and Never never land...unfortunately their last effort.."Just for you" reaks Of POD using and the songs are just lame for Annihilator...yeah , there is some great moments (very few)...but it's a weak effort for Jeff IMO.

APOCRYPHA - HOLY CRAP...This is a true MUST HAVE for anyone into Freidman / Becker Cacophony stuff..I like this even better. Get this, Tony Fredianelli (Third Eye Blind????) SMOKED!!!! ..."The forgotten scroll" used to go for $100 to $200 on Ebay until it was re-issued...Yeas I bought the re-issued..to me this is a true MUST have shred classic...hunt it down and get this..the other two are called "Area 54" and "The eyes of Time"!!!!

ANVIL - Anvil anyone?? ..to me these guys always ran hot and cold ..they put out a few metal gems like Forged in fire and Metal on Metal...TRUE CLASSICS!! They have put out some good stuff through the years ...but to me it's just seems a bit boring..I have all of their stuff..but it collects dust mostly...I give then credit for still "forging the fire".

Comment

I remember seeing Agent Steel with Exodus in 1985 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They were good back then [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

After Forever, Annihilator, Anvil, Angel Dust and Angra aren't very underground, IMO.

Comment

and they are even BETTER NOW Xenophobe!!!!!!

Well to most those bands are "underground"...they definitely don't have the status of mainstream...boy that's for sure..

But I see that this is going to take some time on my part ...so instead of just going down my list of decent to awesome metal bands...I'm going to focus on the awesome..and only the awesome..

like Apocrypha , Abstract Algebra , Adagio , Angra...

I'm still feeling this out...I'll get it tweaked.

That Carnival in Coal reminds me of a weird band called Canvas...only better.

Comment

When you list a band, there should be a link to a website, otherwise recommending stuff without a quick link to hear them kinda sucks. (I'm listening to Throneaeon right now \m/)

I thought enough of Carnival in Coal to purchase their stuff. I have 2 of their CDs... 3 of them are downloaded.

Have you heard of Asmegin? They're incredible... for Viking/Black/Weird metal... Female and Male vocals... Really hard to describe. It was my favorite band for like at least a few months. Check them out too. I just checked and they don't have mp3s available. Bummer.

http://www.asmegin.com/

Comment

Xeno...I use my own collection and my opinions as a reference ...I'm computerly gay..I'm going "Old school" on this ...it's like a magazine review type thing.

Alot of the bands I will mention probably don't even have links...well not with samples anywhoo..

But please I encourage anyone throwing up a link ..I love it ..I just got turned onto "Biomechanical"..so that's cool....so if you see a band posted that you love without a link ...by all means do it ...that would be a great help.

I barely have time to attempt cover some major ground here.....it's alot of ground..a lot of ground!

Comment

ARACHNES - This is an Italian Neo Classical Power Prog that is well worth a listen. Definitely worth having if you love this Genre..a major polished shredder along the ranks of guys like Gus G and Petrossi , Lenk (Scarlet)..Very Good!

ARK - Burnt by the Sun / S/T...This is AWESOME power Prog from the minds of vocal GOD Jorn Lande and awesome shredder Tore Otsby (Conception) ..I remember when I first put this on I thought it sounded like David Coverdale fronting Dream Theatre with Ronnie LeTekro (TNT) on guitar...This is ESSENTIAL for any power prog fan.

ARK STORM - Beginning Of The Legend -(NTS) Import..I just picked this by a recomendation of a credible source and it's very very good..This neo classical power metal band is from Japan and the guitarist smokes with the very best of them ..including Joe Stump , Gus G and the like...great production and song writing...but it's a costly import for the time being.

ASTRAL DOORS - Beginning of the legend - (Locomotive) excellent straight foward Power metal very that calls the days of early Dio...and the dude sounds like Dio...great stuff...I would say Essential enough to investigate immediately.

AXENSTAR - great polished Power metal band from Sweden they have two releases out ..I'm partial to "Perpetual Twilight"..I much prefer this band over Sonata Artica..even though I like them too.

THE ARMADA - Rage of The Armada , (LMB) This German band is fronted by ex Stormwitch master shredder Damir Uzunovic...damn is this dude is firey!! He'll hang with the likes of Mike Romeo on his best day ...anyone into AMAZING shred ala Romeo , YJM , Uli Roth , ...needs to hear this dude...clasical power at it's finest..ESSENTIAL..especially for fans of Firewind and Kenziner.

ARMAGGEDON - Cris Amott of Arch Enemy fame fronting this kick ass , CLEAN vocal aggressive metal band..If you like Chris in Arch Enemy ..you'll love him hear ...it's his best work IMO..They have three discs out ..I have only Two.."Embrace the misery" (awesome) and "Three"..He plays with great feel and fire and the aggression and the songwriting , packaging , and production is stellar (Toy's factory)...ESSENTIAL!!!!!

Comment

BALANCE OF POWER - This band is fronted by the great singer Lance King ..he's really making a name for himself because he's good. But he just left this band to form his Pyramaze which is another grteat band ....BOP has five releases to their credit...they are ALL good...a class act of a band that caught my attention the moment I heard them ..They have a new singer that actually kicked them in the ass even more..he's on "Heathen Machine"..They are a very unique , very melodic and polished dark power prog band of very high calibre...I highly recommend them...they are on Nightmare records ..the same label my singer was signed to.

BEYOND TWILIGHT - The Devils hall of fame (Massacre) ..Jorne Lande gets around and for good reason because he is one of THE best singers in Metal PERIOD. This time he is fronting a great dark power prog band that is just freakin' great to listen to...man this guy gives me chills when he sings...like Russel Allen...Mats Levin..it's a bit "different" but I love it...Please check this out.

BLACKSMITH - Once upon a Star , (Massacre) ..This is out of print and came out in '95 ..it is one hell of a great guitar oriented straight forward , melodic metal release..Great song writing and one hell of a talented guitarist...makes this a cool listen..there probably is not link to this ...some of this stuff you have to take my word for it.

BLAZE - (SPV) ...Blaze Bailey of his lack lustre Iron Maiden fame..what he lacked in maiden he redeemed on his own...his three studio releases are extremely good and he put out a live one as well..of course before fronting Maiden ..he was in Wolfbane ...people either loved or hated that band ...I loved em..The band Blaze kicks ass!

Comment

I recommend most of these bands....

http://home.comcast.net/~bartelt1508/metal1.jpg
                          http://home.comcast.net/~bartelt1508/metal2.jpg

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep some of those bands will be on this thread ..certainly not all (because some of them are not worthy)....there will be 1000 more bands here than on that list by the time this is done.

Guys the Goal of this thread is to post the best of the best of all genres...

not just saying ..I think these guys are kinda neat ...whachathink.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You see ...I posted at least 20 MUST HAVES in the power metal genre and I just got to the B's..

when I say "Must Haves" I mean it...meaning I guarantee you will like it and thank me for the heads up...

Right now I'm concentrating on POWER metal...most people ask me about that ...so I'll get this one out of the way...I'm not going to list ALL power metal bands...that's NOT the agenda here...ONLY the very ESSENTIAL ...that's the deal!!!

Comment

Annihilator - Never, Neverland kicks ass too - Welcome to the Fun Palace - I've got a cover they did of Hell Bent for Leather that's pretty cool
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X