Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping a 1x12 combo amp to Canada from USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shipping a 1x12 combo amp to Canada from USA?

Even if an 8x10 size envelope, people in U.S. have to fill up a custom form with how much value it is.
    So probably when you received your pedal by USPS, the shipper signed it as product(not gift) and put the real value of it.
    So you ended up paying the tax.

I really think whatever you import, they will usually ask % of how much it costs.
    So if Jgcable puts only $100 on it, then you just pay let's say 20% of it as import fee.

Again, why not to go to UPS website in Canada.
    Also postal service website in yoru country and find out about importing goods from U.S.?
    [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

APO is millitary address. I think.

Comment

Yeah.
        APO = Army Post Office
        FPO = Fleet Post Office

"APO/FPO Mail - domestic mail and international mail that bears a U.S. military delivery address or return address and that, in some stage of its transmission, is in the possession of the DOD. This is mail that is being sent to or received from military installations located outside the Continental United States (CONUS). This mail may be official or personal in nature. This mail is centralized at certain locations such as San Francisco and New York for transport overseas. When mail is received in the CONUS from these facilities, letter mail is normally received in sleeved half trays, flats are received in sleeved plastic flat tubs, and parcels are received in #1 sacks. "
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

AFunnyThingHappenedToMeOnTheWayToCanadaYesterday..

I got screwed yesterday shipping to Canada, filled out the label and customs form, waited 45 minutes in line at the USPS, and then was told that the label had to be printed in all caps according to some new Canadian law!!

I said BS, and the postal worker waved a paper with some lines hilighted in my face and said it's right here. I didn't call his bluff and read it, just said "you've got to be kidding" he straight faced told me "No".

Of course I did not have another label, or a marker and the dude wouldn't hold my place so I left.

I went home, made a new label last night and happened to be heading the other direction today.

I stopped at another PO this morning, and the dude laughed and said, that's bullshit, there's no American or Canadian law like that. He said it's nice if the word CANADA is real bold so it can be seen when going to sorting, but that's it.
          F- Canadians!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding, Canadians are cool, but postal workers, well I guess it's a rough job?
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Re: AFunnyThingHappenedToMeOnTheWayToCanadaYesterday..

I am sure the people you dealt with at the first post office are fukking losers.
            There are some postal workers like that that I have seen and dealt with.
            I simply avoid post office liek that and go to another one.
            I used to go to LAX post office at night after 12(they open 24hrs) and these people were the nicest people while the people daytime sukked and just wanted to make everything difficult for everyone.

Comment

Re: AFunnyThingHappenedToMeOnTheWayToCanadaYesterd

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Damn, that definitely sounds like bull. But just to be on the safe side, there's no harm in writing in all capital letters.

Damn, the UPS Canada website and Canada Post website are both useless and don't tell me about brokerage or customs in detail, and the rates for doing so. I'll give the major courier companies a call this weekend.

Comment

You may want to search threads, but it seems to me that with regard to guitars, I've read that UPS and Fedex charged brokerage fees going into Canada, wheras USPS did not.

My guess would be that they are all SUPPOSED to charge brokerage fees, but the USPS handling such a higher volume may just let a lot of them by. I'd imagine if you brought attention to yourself and your case, then they would be sure to inspect and charge your package the fees. Otherwise their laziness MAY save you money.

So:

UPS - Fees for sure
                Fedex - Fees for sure
                USPS - Fees, maybe - maybe not

I'd go USPS and cross my fingers, but be ready to pay the fees if they hit you with them. If you declare the value low, Murphy's Law dictates the amp will be damaged in shipping.
                I'd declare the full value, or close, and cross my fingers.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I always insist on declaring the full value, so no argument there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Gotta be 100% totally safe and cover anything that might go wrong.

Thanks for the quick input dudes. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I just recently bought a boogie f30 and had it shipped to canada.WhatI did was figured out the most it could possibly cost and added in a few extra bucks just in case.Ifigured it was worth it so I went for it.

Comment

Shipping an amp from USA to Canada

NOTP, you will be charged tax on the declared value of the goods. The declared value in US funds will be converted to CDN funds and that is your taxable amount. Here in NS the amount is 15% of insured value.

You wil also be charged at least $50 CDN by UPS or Fed Ex as a brokerage fee. This fee is theirs alone and is for handling the customs transaction for you, which amounts to some dikwad looking at the box and determining that it is leaving the USA and entering Canada. DHL charges anywhere from $5 to $50, depending on their mood.

How close are you to a border crossing?
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Re: Shipping an amp from USA to Canada

I'm in the national capital region.

Comment

Soooo are you buying the amp?
                          [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Perhaps. I've sent jgcable another PM requesting how much extra money it will cost (on top of the price he listed in the Classifieds) to ship. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Good luck!
                              [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I'm in the national capital region.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you afraid to say, "near Ottawa"? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No one is coming looking for you dude...yet.
                                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                                X