Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIP Dime

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe that Phil feels really bad right now. You have to remember that Phil is an active heroin addict, and that because of that he might not be "available" for comment right now. Also he might first want to get his grieving done in private, whatver that might entail. Maybe he's talking to Vinne on the phone right now, he just hasn't made an official statement because he hasn't composed himself, or is still looking for the right words. Who knows? I don't hold Phil accountable. He shot his mouth off, but who doesn't sometimes? He knows what he said, and he'll have to live with that for the rest of his life. I wish him strength right now.

[/ QUOTE ]Active heroin addict? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] But he said in the same Metal Hammer interview that he's been sober for years now! Now poor Phil wouldn't lie about that, would he?I find it ironic that Phil is totally forgiven for wishing harm and death on Darrell a week before he was killed - maybe even siccing that rabid dog on him in a sense - yet Dave gets crap for putting himself on Darrell's level as a guitarist. Kinda funny, that dichotomy.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Dave pretty much said that Darrell was one of the few people who was as good as he is. Big head. Phil IS an active heroin addict last I heard, which was from someone pretty close to Phil, fairly recently. Phil said stupid things, yes. But I don't know, and I'm pretty sure you don't either, whether or not that kid even READ the article. Even if he did, that was just trash talking, it didn't make me want to go kill anyone. Phil was just fuckked up and running his mouth. What Dave said is just sorta lame. Who knows, maybe the article did tip that kid over the edge, but it sounds like he was dancing there for years. Now it's coming out that the kid was drunk and he was pissed that he couldn't party with the bad. I'd believe that sooner than Phil I'd believe Phil called a hit on Dime.

Comment

• Re: Sad day...Dimebag Darrell killed

This sucks. Not a big fan myself but this just absolutely sucks. Condolences to all who loved him.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Dave pretty much said that Darrell was one of the few people who was as good as he is. Big head. Phil IS an active heroin addict last I heard, which was from someone pretty close to Phil, fairly recently. Phil said stupid things, yes. But I don't know, and I'm pretty sure you don't either, whether or not that kid even READ the article. Even if he did, that was just trash talking, it didn't make me want to go kill anyone. Phil was just fuckked up and running his mouth. What Dave said is just sorta lame. Who knows, maybe the article did tip that kid over the edge, but it sounds like he was dancing there for years. Now it's coming out that the kid was drunk and he was pissed that he couldn't party with the bad. I'd believe that sooner than Phil I'd believe Phil called a hit on Dime.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, what Dave said was sorta lame - and what Phil did was wish harm and death on Darrell, which came about in a week's time. Maybe the guy read it, maybe not, but this guy as you said, was nuts for years - what triggered him now? Just that he couldn't party with the band? Maybe, or maybe Phil already sent him his mission, in his mind, and he'd have shot Dime on the bus instead.I just don't think Phil deserves instant absolution as a friend or brother of Dime's; that relationship was over years ago and Phil's done nothing but talk shit since, always getting worse. He destroyed the band by walking out and never coming back, and in that interview turns it around like it was Darrell's fault. Gage IS quoted as blaming Darrell for that as he shot him.I was obviously joking by questioning Phil still being on H, of course I figured he was even without your "inside" information. I just figured he lied about that, same as he lied about Darrell killing Pantera. I say if he feels bad about this he deserves too, because if his mouth didn't trigger this it may as well have. I really do wonder if it does mae him feel bad though. Right now figure he'sholed up with an armful of dope, either grieving or celebrating. We'll probably never know which is true, because if he came out crying and made a statement of grief, why should it be believed? It would be self-serving to get him off the moral hook.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

BTW, what's with the "kid" thing? The guy was 25, that's not a "kid". It's just one step from "kid" to "poor kid" you know; it almost sounds sympathetic. Kids are people under 18.
            Then you are an adult, whether your brain came along for the ride or not. This guy does not
            deserve the implied excuse of being called a "kid".
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

good point, Rich.

If some 18 year old breaks into a retirement village and kills one of the occupants, it is reported that "an 18 year old man" committed a terrible crime.

But calling this fukk a kid, implies that maybe he was lead to doing it by forces outside his control? That as a young, impressionable heavy metal fan (at 25 years of age), maybe he didn't have the advantages that an adult would, to separate the escapism of the music from the realities of everyday life, to resist the urge to kill? So the (poor) "kid" becomes another victim, and the music is to blame again.

Geez, that heavy metal is evil sh!t - looks like it's lead to another music-related tragedy. Only this time, one of its practicioners was killed by one of the "kids" he was apparently corrupting. Gotta love the mainstream press. Even when they're appearing sympathetic, they take a backhand swipe at the music
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I must say that I've been absolutely impressed by local coverage here that has not once cast a bad light on Dime or his fans in any way.

On the contrary, they refer to Dime as a genious on the guitar, a music legend, a good neighbor and friend, a man who helps people and is liked by everyone who knows him, a major loss to the music world and to guitar fans. Etc etc...

I was truly pleased they didn't make him out to be a scumbag metalhead killed by one of his cronies even though the pics they have often used were well, unflattering.. I was really waiting for that to happen. Thety haven't even brought up gun control issues yet...

The way they have handled and reported the whole thing is really odd... Very odd and not what I expected them to do at all. Refreshing, I must say.

Comment

I don't think news people use decent photos of ANYONE...every summer when Ozzfest rolls around, the paper here puts a photo of Ozzy in from The Ultimate Sin days!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I must say that I've been absolutely impressed by local coverage here that has not once cast a bad light on Dime or his fans in any way.

On the contrary, they refer to Dime as a genious on the guitar, a music legend, a good neighbor and friend, a man who helps people and is liked by everyone who knows him, a major loss to the music world and to guitar fans. Etc etc...

I was truly pleased they didn't make him out to be a scumbag metalhead killed by one of his cronies even though the pics they have often used were well, unflattering.. I was really waiting for that to happen. Thety haven't even brought up gun control issues yet...

The way they have handled and reported the whole thing is really odd... Very odd and not what I expected them to do at all. Refreshing, I must say.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is refreshing to hear actually... At least they are taking this seriously... and respectfully
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

When you get to the level of guitar playing that I'm at and that he was at, the air is pretty thin up there . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

That may sound a bit arrogant, but Hell, its true. For Dave, that is being humble.

Comment

Well boys it's Saturday night and that means it's "Dime Drinking Night!" Go out there wearing the colors to your local bar, order a Blacktooth and a Coores for Dime. Remember, tonight should be a celebration of Dime's life with all the metal brothers. Lets show those pop music fans what real unity is!
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Well boys it's Saturday night and that means it's "Dime Drinking Night!" Go out there wearing the colors to your local bar, order a Blacktooth and a Coores for Dime. Remember, tonight should be a celebration of Dime's life with all the metal brothers. Lets show those pop music fans what real unity is!

[/ QUOTE ]

We did this last night after work, Ordered a bunch of coore's and put $20 worth of Pantera and Damage Plan in the Juke Box and rocked for 2+ hours for Dime, Will be doing it agian tonight. All of us are still in shock, We we all remembering all the Pantera shows we've seen in the past 12 years, the Damage plan show we saw earlier this year, Or the time we did a whole set od Pantera for a talent show in high school, This still just sucks
                          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Yeah, what Dave said was sorta lame - and what Phil did was wish harm and death on Darrell, which came about in a week's time. Maybe the guy read it, maybe not, but this guy as you said, was nuts for years - what triggered him now? Just that he couldn't party with the band? Maybe, or maybe Phil already sent him his mission, in his mind, and he'd have shot Dime on the bus instead.I just don't think Phil deserves instant absolution as a friend or brother of Dime's; that relationship was over years ago and Phil's done nothing but talk shit since, always getting worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know I just can't pin Phil down for venting on the subject. IF he gave directives to Kill Dime then yes but this saying that Gale was interpeting it and it triggered him is kinda like Blaming Ozzy for a suicide. Maybe. then again maybe the kid was just listening to walk and that sent him over the edge? Hell any of the Pantera lyrics are agressive and well the Damage plan lyrics are pretty agressive and sure seem to be directed at a bad relationship... I really just can't get into this blame though because that opens the whole can of worms that would include any message wrongly interpeted through media or music etc....
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

My newspaper today had an interesting article on Dime and Lennon and talked about the psychology of the fanatics who do things like this, from simple "celebrity crushes" to obsession to having your identity the exact same as the celebrity. Creepy stuff. Definitely Nathan Gale was at the extreme end of fanaticism to the point where he thought his own identity was threatened by Dime and the breakup of Pantera. Deranged lunatic!!!

Comment

My band started our third set last night with two Pantera tunes played in tribute to Dime. Our singer told the crowd, "We come here every other weekend and play what you wanna hear but tonight, for two songs, it's our turn. Dime these are for you, our fallen brother." We played "Mouth For War" and "I'm Broken". It was a very humbling experience to pay tribute, in such a small way, to a man who died doing what he loved most.

Needless to say, the dancing stopped immediately after I lit up Mouth For War. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dime would have been proud at the look of utter disgust on all the chicks faces.
                                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                                X