• Show
Clear All

• Re: RIP Dime

thanks. that was good
    Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Linda Moore, 42, of Columbus, attended the concert with her 21-year-old son. She said she was about 10 feet to the side of the stage when Gale began shooting.She said few people had a good view of what happened immediately after the shootings because towers of loudspeakers obscured the people onstage. She also was trying to get herself and her son out of the club.She took issue with those who said they heard Gale yell at Abbott about the breakup of PANTERA, his old band. She said the music was so loud, no one could hear anything else."You don't need anything to tell you that except what the science is of decibels," Moore said.

[/ QUOTE ]She was also 10 feet off to the side of the stage and the science of decibels tells you that someone closer might have heard it. Maybe a mic picked it up and she was justly more concerned with getting her son out than listening to just what the loon with a gun was saying.She had nothing substantive to say, but to get interviewed she disclaimed what someone who did said they heard. But she probably got some face time on TV somewhere, so for her, all good.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

yeah, that tribute vid was nice. We'll probably be seeing alot of those over the next few months-which is fine by me.
        I wonder how his wife is holding up. This reminds me of Stu, but in a different way of course..but I couldn't help but think of him as well.

As far as this woman.. man, if you are down in the pit, right up in front..you could catch something being yelled onstage and not have it drowned out by the mains/fronts.
        It might have even bled into a stage mic but hey, she was there, I wasn't. I just think different vantage points would have differing advantages or disadvantages.

I think about that fan who got up there to administer CPR and got killed and those others who got killed trying to deal with this crazy nutcase-they were heros too.

Comment

I very much doubt that anybody could hear anything that was said, unless as mentioned, the mic picked something up.

This has been a VERY sad time for me. I've spent a lot of time just staring into nothing, thinking about this. I am touched by seeing all of our brothers of metal unite in such a tragic time. Thankyou.

Comment

Fu(king cool dude,saw him and his band(Pantera)at the monsters of rock Donnington..i nearly lost my fn hearing,there fn LOUD!!!lol
            Where ever he is i hope he turns the amps up so we can still hear him

Comment

I was out of town until today and only heard about this horrible fukking thing on TV on Friday.

No one is supposed to die playing fukking rock'n'roll! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

RIP everyone who died at that club, except for the shooter. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Darrell will be missed by a lot of people...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

....we mourn harder for our hero than we do for the others. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Zeegler

[/ QUOTE ]

so true..

Comment

That was awesome Toru, thanx for posting!

Pat

Comment

Looks like an update on www.damageplan.com

No mention of a fund or donation info yet tho, we'll hash it all out at the appropriate time.

Pat

Comment

nice tribute page on launch.com

http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/dimebag/
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

From the Seymour Duncan website:

When I woke up this morning, for a moment I thought the shooting in Ohio on Wednesday night was all a bad dream. How could such a senseless act of violence take five people immediately away from their families, friends and fans? Of course, it wasn't a dream. It really happened and all of us are left to somehow come to grip with our losses. I'll do my best by remembering the strong energy Dime exuded and his "life is a party" behavior. In my mind, I can see him walk through the convention hall at the NAMM Show in fuzzy slippers and hear his signature sign-off, which would sound like a jet buzzing right overhead, that he'd do at the end of every phone conversation. He's gone too early from this world but his presence will always be felt in our hearts.

So we look ahead. How can we eliminate the possibility of a tragedy like this from happening ever again? My personal opinion is that the shooter was mentally unstable and probably needed help he either couldn't get or wouldn't accept. Unfortunately, instead of help he had a handgun. It is time to look at supporting foundations that research mental illness and give assistance to those in need. And speaking of assistance, donations are needed for the other Damageplan members who were injured or killed to pay for medical and funeral expenses.

Make checks out to Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund and send them to:
                        National Noise
                        c/o Sabrina Gunaca
                        3100 Main Street, #105
                        Dallas, TX 75226

Cherish your loved ones.
                        Cherish today.

SD Link

Comment

Here is audio of one eyewitnesses account.

http://www.myspace.com/theclassicmetalshow

Comment

That sounds like the same guy they showed being interviewed on TV after this happened.

Comment

An article I was sent...
                              __________________________________________________ __________

Band's bodyguard 'Mayhem' mourned

'He would take a bullet for any one of us,' friend says of victim

09:39 PM CST on Friday, December 10, 2004

By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

As "Mayhem MacGregor," Jeff Thompson was a fictional Scottish protector of the king and queen each spring at the Scarborough Faire Renaissance festival.

As just plain Mayhem, the 40-year-old Deep Ellum fixture was more recently the bodyguard for heavy metal royalty "Dimebag" Darrell and Vinnie Paul Abbott. In that last, real-life role, Mr. Thompson was fatally shot at a Columbus, Ohio, club Wednesday night by a man who had just killed Darrell Abbott and was targeting others on stage and in the audience.

While rock fans worldwide mourn for Mr. Abbott, the 38-year-old Dalworthington Gardens resident and guitar hero, others said they want people to remember Mr. Thompson, too. He wasn't known worldwide, but friends said that Mr. Thompson shared the same outgoing, generous spirit that made the Abbott brothers fan favorites.

Jeff Thompson was familiar to visitors at Scarborough Faire and the Highland Games. It wasn't clear from police accounts whether Mr. Thompson died trying to protect members of the band Damageplan, but friends suspect that the "gentle giant" stepped in to save his friends.

"He would take a bullet for any one of us," said Randy Wothke, who played with Mr. Thompson in a Celtic band.

He and others who knew Mr. Thompson described him as a selfless, fun-loving man who was protective of his friends. If he sacrificed himself to save others at the Alrosa Villa club, it wouldn't be a shock to them.

In a statement on the Atlantic Records Web site, a letter from the "Damageplan family" said that Mr. Thompson "lived and died for his friends." It credited him with sacrificing his life to save the rest of the band. Funeral services for Mr. Thompson were pending.

According to the letter, Mr. Thompson would tell band members: "I'd take a bullet for ya."

Ann Ellis, a Scarborough Faire performer, said she was startled when she first saw Mr. Thompson more than a dozen years ago. He stood about 6 feet, 7 inches tall and weighed about 375 pounds at the time.

"The first reaction was: 'Oh my God. I don't want to have anything to do with him,' " she said, laughing.

Once she spoke to him, Ms. Ellis said she immediately recognized his kind spirit, and they quickly became friends.

When she was down on her luck and couldn't afford car repairs, Mr. Thompson would stop by after his night shift and work on her car while she slept. Another time when she had relationship troubles, he left her a white rose and note of encouragement urging her not to give up on all men.

"He was a sweetheart," she said.

Coy Sevier, general manager of Scarborough Faire, said that Mr. Thompson's gruff exterior didn't fool everyone. Parents would freeze and their eyes would widen when they saw Mr. Thompson, he said, but "the kids would always run up to him."

Mr. Sevier said young children knew immediately that the man called "Mayhem" was just a big teddy bear.

Friends said that Mr. Thompson never settled down with one job too long. He loved show business, and his name and face were known throughout North Texas.

He played a Celtic-style drum with the bagpipe-based band The Rogues and toured as a security guard and jack-of-all-trades with the Abbotts' former band Pantera.

Keith Carlson of Dallas paid his respects Friday at a memorial for Darrell Abbott in Dalworthington Gardens. Mr. Thompson was also a bouncer for various Deep Ellum clubs and worked security and odd jobs for local rock radio stations. He also spent about a dozen years performing and working backstage at the Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie and organized the Highland Games there.

Anthony Schnurr, an engineer for the Clear Channel radio chain, said that Mr. Thompson wasn't trying to break into show business for the money. He just loved music and friends he made.

"He didn't even care if he was paid," Mr. Schnurr said.

Ms. Ellis said that her mountain of a friend was just as content in the spotlight or backstage. He was happy hamming it up on stage with The Rogues or distributing water to festival performers.

"He loved being with people," Ms. Ellis said, "but he didn't need to be the center of attention."

Richardson Patterson, the king at Scarborough Faire, said that Mr. Thompson would even step away from the spotlight if he thought he was detracting from others. Although he introduced the Highland Games, which features traditional Scottish feats of strength, to Scarborough Faire, he quit participating after a few years since few could compete with him.

"He stepped back so other people could shine and feel better about their accomplishments," Mr. Patterson said. Band's bodyguard 'Mayhem' mourned

Comment

Thank you for sharing that, John.

In Memory of Mayhem and Dime:

Comment

Working...
                                X