Gilas Hatching 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilas Hatching 2004

Not to take anything at all away from Dime (RIP DBD), but I had something cool happen today and thought I'd post a picture. Heloderma Suspectum hatching out...

Re: Gilas Hatching 2004

Awsome! I think we all need something positive to think about and admire Brett. How long do these guys take to fully mature?

Thanks for posting.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

MMMMMMMM BOOTS [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...Very cool Brett I know you have been waiting for that.

Comment

thats freakin' cool!

Comment

That is so cool!
          How big are they in the ones in the pic?

Comment

Very cool, welcome to the world little guys (?)...I'd like to learn some more about these guys. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Brett you should name the one on the left Dimebag. It almost looks like a confederate flag on the top of his head. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Brett aren't those venomous? How toxic is the venom? And have you ever been bitten by one?

Comment

Wow awesome! Are those the infamous 'Gila Monsters'?

I heard their beak is so filthy and infected that it's virtually the same as having a poisonous bite.

Awxesome man.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Congrats man on the new batch of offspring there!

I used to breed semi-rare African Cichlids and Rift Lake catfish (really hard to do)a long time ago and know its definitely a cool feeling when these things happen and you were a part of making it so.

Good work!

Comment

Gilas are venomous, but not to the extent of say...a rattlesnake or coral snake. Their venom compares more to a really severe wasp sting, and the pain feels like lighting your hand on fire...for a day or two. Yes, I was bitten once by the first baby I ever hatched. It was a defense response and totally my fault. She got me on the back of the finger and it ruined my day. The pain was not that bad, but the burning sensation was a mother. I kept my hand in a cooler full of ice for a day until the swelling subsided.

As adults, they can weigh up to 2 pounds and are about 21" long (males are bigger than females). Hopefully, this will be my best year ever for hatchlings since I've been refining my technique for a while. I upgraded to $3K incubators and it looks like the money was worth it - I have lots of eggs left that look viable.

Brett

Comment

Nice Brett. Congrats on the new arrivals. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Congratulations Brett! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

My daughter (age 7) absolutely adores reptiles, so I had to show her the picture. She flipped. So I showed her your site with all the gilas, she thinks they're cute.
                          We're both very impressed!!

Good news! Thanks for sharing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

I used to breed corn snakes and leopard geckos-and for those of you who are not "reptile" people, let me tell you-it is a very cool experience to watch your breeders go through the mating, egg-laying, and incubation process. Gilas are one of only two venomous lizard species in the world (the other being the beaded lizard-also a Heloderma species, right?) and from what I remember reading, are quite a challenge to breed. SO, congratulations! Seeing stuff like this gets me all hyped up and intot he reptile thing again. My incubator consisted of an Omaha steak shipping box, an aquarium heater, and some rubbermaid containers....more like 30 dollars than 3000!

Comment

Working...
                            X