Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Logic Surround Question...

Question for home audio types.

K, Before I forget about using these two receivers, I wanna make sure their useless for my surround sound needs. They were $400 or so at the time of purchase I guess, so probably short of worthless now.

They're about 10-12 years old, and have "Dolby Pro-Logic surround". Rarely been used and brand newish, so a bummer to not be able to use one of them.

It appears to not be recognizing any programming from cable or DVDs and the satellite speakers are mute. I am assuming that they are silent as the current Dolby encoding on DVDs etc is of a different technology? Hence useless?

Re: Pro Logic Surround Question...

Hook up a 2 channel source, just the red and white for stereo. Do you get anything at all? If not then they are either fukked or you need to keep hitting buttons... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you get sound from the 2 fronts and nothing else, you probably have them in the wrong modes. If you get some sound from various speakers you could have blown amps... Honestly if you can get them to work, throw them on eBay, see how much you get for them and use the money to upgrade to either a Denon or Yamaha 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 receiver. You cant beat Yamaha or Denon on sound quality or build quality! I sell Harman Kardon and Onkyo too, but both have really gone down hill in the last couple of years.... I'm getting a Denon AVR 3805 in a few weeks hopefully and it absolutely kicks ass! Denon stuff rocks and now that they bought out Marantz you have 2 High End companies in one! Good luck... If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me!

Comment

Thanks for the input. After looking at what changes have been made in the dolby surround world, this is really archaic stuff I see, haha...

I may have to plug it all back in and check some things as the system is complex with multiple two CDs, EQ, cassette deck, DVD, Cable box, Playstation and nintendo all going into a AV switcher with many S-Video and audio cables every friggin where. I am replacing the floor in the living room and have it all apart. I should calmly assemble it with some neatness, haha...

I used to manage AV stores and have a very good grip on the wiring/connection of all that crap, I have just purposefully stayed away from the industry as I was sick of the stuff. I didn't wanna see a VCR or cable for years after I quit that 7 year nightmare, haha... So, I'm clueless to the new AV surround stuff. Just took a crash course though on a few sites, haha..

It just seemed to not be getting anything when used as a decoder for a DVD or cable, I can get them to come on on in an artifical mode, but when left to decode a program material, they stay silent. I'll assume there is nothing for them to decode on tyhe new stuff.

7.1, true 5 way, here I come I guess... Cha-ching! $$

Ehh, it's only money... heh [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Again, thank you for taking time to answer this! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Glad I could help, and yeah, it's time for some new equipment... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just remember that the Pro logic stuff didn't use optical or digital coax connections to decode Dolby Digital... Thats what all DVD players use now, hell anything 5.1 uses it... Plus now you have Component Video switching and Component Video Upconversion for your Video connections. Make sure you get a Receiver that won't be outdated for another 10 years... ie... HiDef pass through.... Good luck...

Comment

Working...
        X