insuring guitars w/ FedEx Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insuring guitars w/ FedEx Ground

My local FedEx-staffed FedEx location doe not let me insure guitars for over $100. According to the FedEx website, it says I should be able to insure them. Have any of you guys had success in insuring? Just want some input before I call management and inquire.

Re: insuring guitars w/ FedEx Ground

Somebody mentioned that a while back, but I thought the amount was $1000? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Never heard of it, I guess you need to use UPS or the "new" DHL. I wouldn't send any guitar without +25% of the value, we've all seen the pics... CYA bro.

Pat

Comment

I use FedEx all the time for shipping guitars and regularly insure them for $1000, $1200, whatever.
        Sounds like you need to straighten them out on a local level. Someone there is very mis-informed.

Comment

Whatever you use, insure it for what you can easily prove the vale to be. It isn't like if they destroy the item that they cut a check for the insured sum with no questions asked. They will want to see real values; a receipt, and maybe even a couple of quotes from music stores on official letterhead. If you have a couple of music stores that will 'fudge' the paperwork for you, go for it and insure it for more.

Comment

Jim,

Correct, but I've always insured for a bit more, not to cheat the system, but to take care of all the crap that goes along with it, i.e shipping back and forth, time spent, etc etc. Going through the claim process is just a headache and you're out of pocket with either merchandise or cash for several weeks. It certainly wasn't intended to cheat or make a buck, but I could see where someone could see that.

But I'm with Chuck, I "always" use FedEx and have never had an issue with insuring at any cost, up to $3k I think I've done anyway.

Pat

Comment

I had fedex tell me that once, as well. I was shipping a Gibson Nighthawk, insured for $700. Regardless of what the 'real' policy is, I couldn't let fedex take it after she told me that even though I had paid for the extra insurance, they wouldn't honor claims over $100. I took it to UPS.

This is the only official word I can find on the issue: Fedex limits their liability on guitars that are more than 20 years old to $500.

+++
              Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$500:

1. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture, collectors' items, and customized or personalized musical instruments.
              2. Film, photographic images (including photographic negatives), photographic chromes and photographic slides.
              3. Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain.
              4. Antiques, or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware and glassware.
              5. Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass, plasma screens/flat-panel display screens, and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities.
              6. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal.
              7. Furs, including, but not limited to, fur clothing, fur-trimmed clothing and fur pelts.
              8. Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates, or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).
              9. Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents, including, but not limited to, food stamps, postage stamps (not collectible), traveler's checks, lottery tickets, money orders, gift cards and gift certificates, prepaid calling cards (excluding those that require a code for activation), bond coupons and bearer bonds.
              10. Ostrich and emu eggs.
              11. Collector's items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia. (Collector's coins and stamps may not be shipped. See "Prohibited Items" section.)
              12. Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old.
              +++

The Nighthawk wasn't more than 20 years old, but it didn't matter, she didn't say $500 anyway.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents...
              Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I understand, but my point is if you insure the guitar for $1500 but you paid $1100, you have a receipt for $1100, you will not get $1500. You will get $1100.

Comment

Also, your local FedEx may only insure up to $100 without any additional costs, is that possible or did they just tell flat out?

Pat

Comment

I thought that limit was if you don't box it according to their standards. For electric guitars, that means double boxing with a certain amount of packing between the boxes. When I shipped my Charvel 475, I brought everything into the store and packed it step by step right in front of them, taking digital pics at each step.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

This is all using FedEx ground, mind you ...I think you won't have any problems insuring w/ FedEx Express. 2 years ago I shipped all the time using Ground and had no problems insuring, but then one day I went in and filled out the form, put "guitar" in the description and insured amount for $800, and when I took it up to the counter, they said they would not insure guitars over $500.

Comment

This person is mis-informed. I ship FedEx ground all the time and regularly insure for the full amount.

Comment

I think $100 insurance is something that is already included when you ship stuff out.
                          The person at Fedex you are dealing with doesn't probably know you could add more insurance by paying extra money.

Comment

wait a sec, someone explain this to me. if you insure something worth 800 bucks, you Pay them 800 bucks insurance?? how does this work?

Comment

You don't pay them $800. You pay them a small extra fee as insurance in case anything should happen. I've shipped three guitars in September/October of 2004 with FedEx Ground and they let me declare the value of the guitars their full price and it was just a couple of bucks more for that insurance. Well worth it. But the people behind the counter even admitted that they don't know much just let me do whatever I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X