Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: insuring guitars w/ FedEx Ground

[ QUOTE ]
    wait a sec, someone explain this to me. if you insure something worth 800 bucks, you Pay them 800 bucks insurance?? how does this work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is how it works.
    The basic shipping does already include $100 insurance that will cover up to $100.
    Then if you the item you are sending is worth more, then you pay for teh additional insurance.
    It works like $1 for an extra $100.
    So if you want to cover your $1000 worth itme, you just pay $9 more as additional cost.

Not sure how much but that is how it works.
    You just can't add additional insurance over $100 without paying an extra charge.

Comment

Did any of you guys happen to know that most (or all?) of the fedex routes are individually contracted? Those guys aren't really Fed-Ex employees, just subcontractors who bid on routes (or an employee thereof). It's just like a rural mail route. Those delivery drivers could give a fukk less whether you receive your pkg or not. The owners of the routes are also on a contract and have nobody to answer to when the sh!t gets thick.
      Stick with UPS and all is well.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Since when?

Not in my neck of the woods and I would have to say it's not like that in almost every major city.

Maybe out in the sticks, but certainly not around here.

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          This person is mis-informed. I ship FedEx ground all the time and regularly insure for the full amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll take the insurance money, but according to their site (see my post) if the guitar is more than 20 years old and the insured value is over $500, they ain't paying you more than $500 if it gets blowed up.
          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Mark, not in my sticks. When something is coming to me via FedEx, a FedEx truck shows up at my door. Driven buy a guy in a FedEx uniform. And I sign a FedEx electronic thingy when I recieve it.
            I could care less what the truck says on it that tows the FedEx trailer from, say, California to New York. Just because it may not say FedEx on the door does not mean the driver doesn't give a shit about the load he's hauling.

ATG, that's still a far cry from what we were talking about with the $100 dollar limit on any guitar. The 20 year old thing dosen't really apply to me anyway. I know, we can start splitting hairs and saying, well, San Dimas Guitars are twenty years old now...whatever. It's been a long time since I was worried about that.
            Besides, I pack bomb-proof, and I'm really not worried about it. As far as I'm concerned, 90% of the broken guitars I've seen posted here and elsewhere were the packagers fault. I can look at the broken headstocks and see where someone screwed up. But that's a different post, too!

Comment

Agreed Chuck, I have the same FedEx guy every day and when it's a guitar, he sits and waits for me to open it... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] He's into that sort of thing, so it's cool. He's always amazed at what I open.

Pat

Comment

True words, Chuck. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Really?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I thought I was just being an argumentative blow-hard as usual...

Comment

Well, maybe that too, but you're dead on: what happened to me with the Nighthawk I shipped (and wanted insured for $700) and the $500 cap +20 years doesn't have anything to do really with L's post, or the fact that the putz I talked to with the 'hawk told me $100, too. But after she told me that, I couldn't leave it with them. But I've shipped lots of non 20+ year old guitars via fedex ground since then.

Sometimes (lots?) I read a post and it reminds me of something SORT OF like the post, but not really, and before you know it, I chime in. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

So yeah, you're dead right, what I'm blabbing about is a far cry from the $100 discussion...

Now, about this 'blowing hard' issue, I won't make any inappropriate wise cracks about those two words! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      My local FedEx-staffed FedEx location doe not let me insure guitars for over $100. According to the FedEx website, it says I should be able to insure them. Have any of you guys had success in insuring? Just want some input before I call management and inquire.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd contact management, and get their policy in writing from them on Fedex letterhead, so you can show it to the person you deal with face-to-face. It'd be frustrating to go back and tell them you talked to the Fedex brass and they still refuse to let you insure properly.On the other hand, if they know you squealed to their bosses on them, they might have an "accident" with your stuff anyway. Maybe find another Fedex location, or another shipper, if it's a personality disorder you're facing on the other end.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X