Re: Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001)

RIP Chuck

Do you remember when
    Things seemed so eternal?
    Heroes were so real...
    Their magic frozen in time

Comment

I've never heard of Chuck before. Great stuff on that web site - sounds like a good dude. I'd heard of the band Death before but never heard any tunes. Any recommended listening?
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

http://www.emptywords.org/PAST.htm

Well the early albums are kinda rough. Maybe start with Spiritual Healing and work your way up to current works. I have many fave tracks but surely Pull The Plug and The Philosopher are must-listens.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Death was one of those bands that progressed with every disc so...Although it may be a bit rough, (like Ron said) you want to go back a bit and listen in sequence. Human is where they separate from the pack IMO. "Lack of Comprehension" of Human, then as Ron suggested "The Philosopher" off the "Individual Thought Pattern" disc (Any song will do actually) The title track off "Symbolic" is the perfect song to sum up that album but, you need to listen to the whole disc. The production made a huge step here. "The Sound of Perseverance" is a hard one...It pretty complex so it takes a few listens however "Story to Tell" has some instantly catchy riffs.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Let us not forget Control Denied.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Let us not forget Control Denied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call RattleHead!

I forgot to mention...If you appreciate lyrics, this guy was the master. The first albums were nothing but blood n guts/slasher movie inspired lyrics but, he got deeper as time went on and became a master of lyrics regarding...LIFE!
              [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
              You must remember when listening to the real old stuff that he was 16-18 years old when he penned the lyrics. I also think the loss of his big brother in an accident may have been his way of dealing with the whole death thing too. Could have very well been the seed that started Death Metal.
              [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Chuck truly kicked ass. I'm blasting Live in L.A. as I type this. His lyrics were definitely something to inspire as well as his guitar prowess.

Comment

Individual Thought Patterns is one of the greatest albums ever to be released. Death was a progression, and with every album you would hear different elements. Chuck was always trying to better himself and make the music the best it could be. He loved to explore, and would have hated the idea of being characterized as one kind of metal. If you listen to the albums from Human on to The Sound of Persiverance (sp), you will always get different flavors... it is always Death though my friend! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Listen to the entire Individual Thought Patterns album and enjoy yourself. It makes you a better person!
                  Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                  The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

My heart ached for Chuck's passing today. It in itself is sad but so close to Dime made it really hard today.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

RIP Chuck. At least he left us all with one incredible body of work. I was listening to Zombie Ritual today.

Comment

Working...
                      X