Cable TV Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable TV Rant

I got sick of paying $50 a month for cable TV a while back and have been without a few months. To me, TV is only worth about $20 a month - actually with the # of commercials it should be free, but whatever.
    So here's the deal. I'd be willing to go back to cable if I could find it in the neghborhood of $20. Are there any options for people like me?
    It must have Discovery channel, History Channel, USA/TNT, Boomerang, Disney, some music channels, Sci-fi and FX are cool too.
    i don't care about premium movie channels (HBO, skinemax, Starz, Showtime)
    I looked at Voom,DirecTV,Time Warner, and that's about it and I'm looking at $40/month for really lame programming. If you get 'basic' cable, you end up with local channels, infomercials, and cable access - not worth it.

I have an HD set, but I doubt you can find a deal with HD programming for that.
    In this 'age of multimedia and internet' I really find it hard to believe we are getting screwed for $125 a month for phone, internet, and TV.

Any ideas?
    </end of rant>
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Cable TV Rant

Here's the solution I've employed:

Don't watch TV. Ever.

It's the biggest waste of time, the only thing that comes close is the internet. But the internet actually has some useful things on it, while TV has no utility at all.

Comment

When you sit down in front of a computer, you turn your mind on.
      When you sit down in front of the TV, you turn your mind off.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        When you sit down in front of a computer, you turn your mind on.
        When you sit down in front of the TV, you turn your mind off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Unless you're a teenage girl and just sit on KaZaA and have 938046534876548756 AIM windows going at once like my younger sister! Even in that case I guess it's better than TV though.

Comment

Computer has become the new TV, in that you can find yourself wasting countless hours in front of it, except that you can engage your mind.

You can even watch TV on your computer, so might as well stick to the computer... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In this age of "age of multimedia and internet", you will also find that postal prices (at least here) have gone up a little bit too. It costs 49 cents and a few days transit to send a damn letter to someone on the other side of the country when I can whip up the same text in instant messenger and send it over in thirty seconds and have them respond within a minute. So easy is it to send digital photos everyday of your newborn or digital home movies of baby's first steps all the way to grandma and grandpa in Romania via e-mail that snail mail has taken a hit.

No real point to my little rant either, but I kinda like the information age, haha. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, it was a fine rant though.

Comment

I agree that TV is a big waste, but my wife & I are both huge sports fans. Whenever we debate getting rid of cable, it always boils down to the sports. The cable companies will never let us just pay ala carte for the few channels we want, so we grumble & send them $45 a month for regular (non-digital) service. I think digital starts at around $56/mo here for maybe one or two more channels we would want to watch.

Comment

Working...
              X