Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips on marketing music.

[ QUOTE ]

What about college radio's, internet radio's, metal radios, etc. You worked for a metal radio station didn't you, Ace? How did you guys want bands to approach you (if at all) about playing some of their stuff on the air?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I didn't work for a metal radio station, I hosted a metal TV show. We had a P.O. Box where we would(and still do) receive all sorts of promotional materials from bands and labels. Put together a press packet. It should include:

1 copy of your CD - Don't be stingy and ask them to buy your album, give them the whole thing. It shouldn't be too long, and ALWAYS put your best song first, chances are it won't make it past the 20 second mark if it's boring. Unless it is so silly it becomes an inside joke, there are some BAD demos/CD's out there, don't let yours be one of them. Packaging and recording quality should be the best you can get out there, but the MUSIC is the most important thing.

1 Press release. Write a one-page sheet about who you/your band is, a brief(BRIEF) biography, previous bands you've been in, bands you've played with. List some influences, but not too many. Talk yourself up, but be specific and don't sound outright silly, saying stuff like "quite possibly the best music ever written", it's not hard to find musicians with high self esteem. Include a picture of yourself, and try not to look to silly/ugly/dumb/immature. Send copies of your CD with whatever press packet you have to every 'zine you can find an address for asking them to review it. When you get a positive review, add that to your press release.

Whatever else you might have from your band, stickers, T-Shirts, anything that has your band's name on it. A&R guys, 'zine guys and whoever else opens your press release will dig the free stuff. Even if they just stick your sticker on their friend's bumper as a joke, your name will be out there and people will talk about you.

Also, if you DID play live, let the person who receives your packet know when you are playing next, and try and squeeze them in your guestlist if you can. Industry people HATE paying for shows when they are "working".

Another thing you should do is make stickers, LOTS of them. Be a jerk and hand them to groups of high school kids. They will find they're way all over town. Notebooks, STOP signs, school lockers, anywhere people see your band name it will spark their curiosity. High school and college age kids buy the most music, so anyway you can get your name spread around a school, you're doing good.

One last thing, I would leave the skanks out of the picture. Guys have different tastes in women, and women usually have NO taste in women. If you have a girl looking slutty on your materials it will make it look like you are trying to hide your music behind a set of tits. Having chicks handing out your stuff at shows though is a good thing.

Comment

Ah that's right, tv show.

I need some clarification. For the CD, do you think it should just have 3 songs like a demo, or everything on my actual release?

Stickers, eh? What's the best way to go about getting those made? I know practically nothing about such merchandising stuff. What about patches, posters, and similar stuff?

Comment

You can print some pretty decent stickers on your home printer with sticker paper, OR, use www.cafepress.com to create stickers and other merch, buy them yourself at wholesale prices, and then sell 'em or give 'em away. Your choice! If you go to the top of the JCF, you will see the Store... the JCF uses CafePress as well.

Comment

Working...
        X