Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Camera advice / recomendations

Folks,
    My old digital camera was stolen a week or so ago and I need to get another: the thing is, what I know about cameras can be written on the back of a postage stamp with an aerosol...
    Some of the pics posted here seem to be pretty damn good quality, and I'd like some pointers as to what to look for in a digital camera, but I can't afford to spend a fortune as I'd rather have a guitar than take pictures of it!
    Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Digital Camera advice / recomendations

What's yer budget? We'll start there...

Pat

Comment

Ian
      I am a Fuji dealer so I may be able to help you . As Pat says , what's your budget . I am in the UK and could do you a good deal but the postage to you may not make it worthwhile .
      There are many excellent camera companies out there and Fuji is one of them.

Mark
      Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

I just bought a cheap Kodak that takes great pics at Best Buy for $150. I had to get an additional memory card for another $39 but it takes great pics and was one of the cheapest I found.
        I don't remember the model number but it was the cheapest of the Kodak line and is simple to use.
        Very good for the money.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

i have a canon powershot s50 and i love it. it takes super clear pictures. it's nice and solid too. made out of metal instead of plastic.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Budget is everything. I got the new Fuji E550 6.3 mega pixel, and the 256mb card as a Christmas present for my wife. I let her have it early and it takes great pics. We are upgrading from a Fuji 2600 Zoom 2.0 megapixel. The picture quality is great.

Comment

Get an education on digital cameras, read in-depth reviews, and compare any models by feature, picture quality, or overal specs side-by-side. Check out their reccomendations for price range, megapixel ratings, or use their selection helper. The best digital camera resource on the net (and they're not afraid to tell you if Brand Name products suck):

www.imaging-resource.com

Or you can just go through their detailed poll questions, and they'll suggest the cameras that would suit you the best:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cgi-bin/m/pl.cgi?cajs
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I bought a Minolta Dimage G500 5MP, and one thing I hate about all digi cams is the slow time between shots. I bought this one because of the fast recovery time from the review sites, but even with the feature turned on that allows continuous shooting, results are not what I'd hoped. The Sony 5MP (can't remember the model, something like PDP10?)was faster, but I can't do memory stick for some reason I have a moral objection to it.
                Two things I like, SD memory, and the size and speed to which the camera is ready for action.
                Don't like: recovery time between shots, have to open the battery compartment to get the memory card out or charge the battery - no hot dock, or plug in charger.
                Other than that, the Minolta is the best I've had, but I like the sony too.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Imaging Resource said the G500 would have been a editors choice if it weren't for the "sluggish shutter response"... I wasn't impressed by the review, it doesn't do what I like a camera needs to do well, but they state it's really good at taking night shots, and has an abnormally bright LCD viewfinder, which is good for using in direct sunlight.

Check out how far they go into their reviews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G500/G50A.HTM

(this is called a quick review... it isn't even nearly as compreshensive as full review either)
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

My Sony Cyber-shot is pretty darn good. It's only 3.2 mega pixels but most of the Cyber-shot cameras now have 4.0 or 5.0, mine came out just before these did. The quality is very good on photos and you can also record short movies on it too. The sound quality is cool too. Their only about £190 i think
                    93 USA Soloist EDS
                    USA HT6 Juggernaut
                    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Folks,
                      Thanks for that - I'll follow up on those links later on....
                      In response, my budget is up to around 300 pounds (a bit less than $600 US at the moment) and really I just want to take holiday / social pic, along with Guitar photos!
                      Cheers
                      Ian
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ian
                        A budget of £300 will get you an excellent camera . Even £150 will get you a very good camera and it will do all that you need .

Mark
                        Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

I've got a Sony Cybershot 5.0. All of the pics I took at NAMM last year were taken with that camera, but as 442 pointed out, the refresh/recovery sux!!! I went to the circus a month ago or whatever and the thing was unreal with nightshots/nightframing, but.... I could take one picture every 2 minutes or so, and that makes for a lot of missed pics!

Having your pic taken with stars or what have you, where you really only have 10 seconds or so to get a pic without slowing anyone down? Man, that sucked to and missed some real good shots with it overall. Im going to buy a new one for the family today and I was looking at a 7.0 something or another ( wife found it, so I haven't seen it yet )

I had a Fuji, (Cleve's got it now) and I didn't care for the quality, but that was most likely my fault as John takes some awesome pics with it. Still got it John? I think that one was like $350 or $450 ( a yr ago or more )

Anyway, good luck with what you choose and thanx for the links Xeno, going there now...

Merry Christmas all!

Pat

Comment

Mega Pixels are a marketing gimmick. My 2.1 Minolta DIMAGE X is excellent. The new 3.2 is a great value. The Optical Zoom to Digital zoom ratio bears more importance to me.

Plus the memory card capacity and battery life. Dont have too few batteries. When the juice is gone your smile will be gone also. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I just got the new Panasonic DMC-FZ20 and really dig it.

Talk the TheUntalentedOne, he'll sort you.

Comment

Working...
                              X