Your style? What defines you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your style? What defines you?

I am a bizarre cross between Alex Lifeson, Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Uli Roth
    and Edward Van Halen. Growing up in the Deep South though, I can play convincing Southern blues and slide guitar in standard, open G and open D tunings. That's not my main thing, but it is in the blood and people like it, so I guess it's worthwhile. I have a very basic grasp of fingerstyle from about 12 classical lessons, and a basic grasp of the neoclassical
    sweep arpeggios, string-skipping and the basic scales and modes. I like and dabble in most types of metal, though I like clean vocals so don't get into much death or black, though the instrumentation is cool.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My style? bad in my mind and really bad in others minds...lol
      Well EVH is a huge influance (the reason I play guitar) Although i suck i do it for enjoyment and do come up with some cooll stuff everynow and then. I would say my style is EVH, Edge, Vito Bratta, Robbin and Warren, and lately some of Big Wreck style, and other riffy stlyes of 80s metal, and alot of me thrown in for uniqueness. I tend to have a somewhat celtic style lately not quite as much as Gary Moore but im not the player Gary Moore is either. I just kinda mix all my infuences together
      and pretty much just have fun.
      Gil

Comment

my style is like john petrucci, yngwie malmsteen and randy rhoads mixed together with a little kirk hammett pentatonic stuff thrown in (after all, metallica and kirk's playing made me pick up the guitar in the first place [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

...but obviously, i'm not a machine, so my playing isn't as awesome as JP's or Yngwie's [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but well...nobody i've played with has complained so far, so it seems like i don't REALLY suck [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

My style falls somewhere between Jason Becker and Kurt Cobain

Comment

I mostly play melodic thrash/death metal...poorly.
            sigpic

Comment

My style definitely falls to the blues-based end. I do tinker with some classical scales, and even some jazz based riffs...but I have a real heavy (what I call "percussive") right hand...a lot of chopping rhythms.
              I've been called an awesome blues guitarist by some very high-ups (even a celeb blues guy I know)...although I don't consider myself a "blues guitarist" per-se.

Comment

I just play recycled rock licks. I always wanted to sound kind of like Gary Moore Corridors of Power era, but it really didn't turn out that way. I don't have a recognizable style
                I like to write sort of Rush/Fates Warning type riffs and parts for some reason (thats what it sounds like to me) even though I listen to much heavier stuff in general.

Comment

Melodic metal. My influence are Rhoads and Malmsteen. I love classical music as well.

I dab in various styles but melody is the key for me, even while improvising off the cuff over other peoples tracks.

http://shawnlutz.com/Lutz_JCF_2.mp3

http://shawnlutz.com/JCF3.mp3
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

My friends say I have a recognizable style, that they can pick my playing out from others....I dont know. I guess if I had to put it into words I play similar to Richard Williams of Kansas. His more recent stuff. While I dont consider myself a "progressive rock" guitarist, I do have to say thats who I think I fit closest to. Not only in style, but my tone is similar to his live tone. Mine may be a bit brighter, but not much and mine is drier. While I never set out to sound like Richard, I just kind of stumbled on that discovery when I saw Kansas live this year. I was never a big Kansas fan until a few years ago so I never drew any influence from him at all. He is a much more aggresive player than I ever knew until seeing him live. He is very intense, and detailed. I grew up during the Van Halen, Lynch, Bratta, Zakk generation and was fueled by those guys. I do carry alot of Lynch's early playing in my style too. Its definetly there. So there you have it... I sound like Lynch by influence, Williams by accident.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

My friends can pick my playing out too. I've got this thing for harmonics like I learned at the feet of John Sykes and Zakk Wylde. I'm talking pings even when I'm playing chords thrown in to spice up some notes. Only I always palm the wammy bar so many of those crazy bends they would normally do I also do but with the bar. Yeah, that's it, way too much wammy bar in my playing.
                      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

slippery fingered flash guitar.
                        i don't know, ask people who have heard me.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I would say I sound like Lynch, but after a severe hand injury! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I love his style!

Comment

my style is a cross between old michael schenker and adrian smith. i play bluesy pentatonics like schenker on his first UFO album. but i work out ALL my leads and try to play melodically like adrian smith. i am rather static on stage, like adrian, as well.

i focus my guitar playing more on song writing and making my leads something memorable rather than masturbatory examples of techinque, speed, and flash.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Honestly, i never really tried to own a style. I don't think when i get into solos, and i jam to everything from josh Groban and various classical-based movie soundtracks, to something like Queensryche or G N' R. i play to anything that moves me.

Friends who've heard me evolve into the player i am say i have a signature sound and style. Though i dunno, i'm pretty bad at the self-esteem, i just play what i feel.

froma punk rock background with some Def leppard (i loved Clark and Collen to death), my solos always sounded bluesy and classical even though i never played them, so i evolved from there.

Description using other guys to get the idea across:
                              Slash (good feel guy), Chris Degarmo(almost everything i want to be), Collen, and maybe Lynch and Van Halen (for the intensity and flash, i guess). And some blues players, i guess.

My Style? I sound and play like none other than Kory Che'.

Comment

I know one lick, and I'm sick to death of hearing it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I guess I'm defined by my complete lack of style, finesse, feel, speed, definition, direction. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X