Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions for guys with band experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for guys with band experience...

Honestly guys, I knew before I posted this that I was done playing with the guy. I was just sort of passing the news. The real questions are, what are your experiences with placing ads for musicians, and how much do you hink it will cost my soon-to-be-ex-guitar player to get his Kelly removed from his anus? Seriously, should I just let him go, or beat him like I own him?

Comment

Tough situation. First you need to do two things.

1) Find out what your drummer thinks of you kicking him out. Is that okay with him? Is he tired of the same shit you are?

2) Find another member, try people out ect... it can be hard to figure out who is a good fit or not from just one audition. Commitment, dedication, talent, job, money, transportation, talent.

From what you're describing, you don't even need to kick out the guitarist. Find someone else to bring in, and if they're on time, the three of you can look at him funny and say "don't turn your amp on till we're done"... and rehearse without him.

Then politely tell him that he's free to jam in the studio while you're not rehearsing, and that he's no longer in the band.

That way you can keep the rent covered until you find someone, but you don't have to give him the bad news. You can let him see it. If he asks if you're trying out other guitarists and bassists, tell him a simple "yes".

I could go on and write a book for you, but that kind of shit that your other guitarist is pulling wouldn't last in my studio for more than a couple of rehersal days.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Hey, Xeno, great points there. Just a few I might add. First of all, we jam at my drummer's house, so there's no worry about rent. Secondly, if we let the dude go, or I quit depending on how things turn out, I wasn't going to look for a second guitar player. I am quite happy playing guitar myself. That is NOT why I want him out of the band though...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Good point Hollywood. You don't happen to actually own a rehersal studio in Hollywood, do you?

[/ QUOTE ] Man I wish. Sort of.... haha. It's a lot more crowded out there than in Indianoplace, but I have been to a couple there. Yo! Rehearsals, and Mates. When we first started getting ideas for starting one here, we got some advice from a couple of the studios out there. We basically have 1 studio here, and I think there are about 177 or 331 there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Okay, so I'll assume that your drummer wants him out too but doesn't have the heart to tell him. Get the drummer's opinion/decision. Provided he wants something positive to happen with a band, as opposed to just being able to say "I'm in a band". Then get permission and just tell him that he needs to get with the program or find a new one. It might be harsh, but sometimes you just gotta say the truth.

Onto your questions... how to tell if someone is right? Wow... trial and error. I know of no definitive way to tell if someone would be good or bad for the part just by meeting them or what not.

Find the age range you want, that he has the same relative influences that you or your band have, that the "comfortable" factor is there... you can chill and get along, and that he's got a stable job and stable transportation, and is willing to dedicate themselves. Prior experience in a similar project, or the ability to show enough technical skill, or can pick up some of your more difficult riffs at the first tryout are good indicators as well.

If there were any easy way to do this, so many bands would make it a lot farther than they do... and I know this cause I've seen stuff like laziness, incompatibilities, or just lack of dedication from one person destroy a whole band on a number of occassions.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Here's my situtation. I met up with the lead guitar player several months ago, we spent a couple of months jammin about once a week and getting to know each other, we decided it works. We started looking for a bassist and drummer. He runs into a drummer and bassist he jammed with a year ago or so...he told me up front, they aren't very good, but they want to play (desire/drive)..so we all hook up. And they are brothers...anyway, the drummer has SERIOUSLY improved, he practices..he writes music with us, he rocks. But his brother..SUCKS. So we start telling him he needs to spend a little more time playing bass and less time with soccer, drinking, etc. After a few months, the guy still sucks. But, we are practicing in his space, no one wants to put thier foot down. To me that is BS..I am not going to keep hanging with a bass player that refuses to improve. That is just ignorant. So, if we can't toss him..I am leaving. I would rather start over than waste my time.
              I'm no help with the ad thing.. I put out several and either got wingnuts, or no one..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                Good point Hollywood. You don't happen to actually own a rehersal studio in Hollywood, do you?

[/ QUOTE ] Man I wish. Sort of.... haha. It's a lot more crowded out there than in Indianoplace, but I have been to a couple there. Yo! Rehearsals, and Mates. When we first started getting ideas for starting one here, we got some advice from a couple of the studios out there. We basically have 1 studio here, and I think there are about 177 or 331 there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                Mates is the shit. The band on Capitol I was working for was rehearsing there. On one side of us we had Drowning Pool, on the other the Foo Fighters wre writing their new album. My buddy Brandon works there.

Comment

Yes, don't waste any time, then regret it later. If you can do the guitar parts w/o another guitarist, then do it. It will be one less person to deal with, less equipment to haul, and more money at shows. Either way, just tell your drummer something needs to change quick, or this will drag out longer. Most people doing what the other guitarist is doing, probably won't do a 180 and start doing things right. At least very quick. Might do what xeno said and give him one more chance to turn it around, but do it now before you lose more time. I don't know that I would tell him he has until a certain time. Have a time frame in mind, but tell him he needs to shape up now, or you're moving on.

There is a band that practices at the studio right now who finally found a vocalist, and it seemed like it was going to work out great....then their 1st show was a few days away, and the guy totally flaked on them. No where to be found. 1 example out of many that I've seen happen to bands trying to get going. Just shows you that you can never be too sure of a person. Bottomline, don't spend too much time on anyone who isn't working out. Sometimes it might cost you a rehearsal place, or a guitar player who has a full PA and truck, but it will eventually cost you the right person, and playing a show on Saturday night.
                  www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Dedication and desire to be in a band are the two most important things to look for in new members. The most successful band I have been in actually had a drummer that had never been in a band or played the style of music we did. The guy had been playing for years but never found an opportunity to play with people that wanted the same thing he did. He came from a classic rock background(AC/DC, Led etc) and we were doing covers of Slayer Sepultura MOD The Misfits and originals. Fortunately he had talent and worked his a$$ off to learn the nuiances of what we were doing. His personality fit perfect and his desire to be in a band allowed him broaden his scope of influences. He became one the most accomplished drummers I have ever seen or played with.
                    The point is, that it is not always necessary to find someone with the exact same musical direction as you. Wanting to work as hard and dedicate the same time and energy along with having a compatible personality are probably more important. It will be trial and error but do not limit yourself to too narrow of criteria. Diversity in musical backgrounds tends to be innovative.
                    "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Talk to the drummer when you're calm. It may be you're more serious about this than he is and your musical infatuation is keeping you from seeing it. You can leave if he doesn't want to toss the guy, but whether you get your goal could depend on how you talk to the drummer. They're buds, and you said the drummer was surprised that you're upset. Ask him if he's serious, and if he is, then ask him if he thinks you'll get anywhere with a guitarist that's barely there. If you come off like you're making a power play, the drummer could tell you to take of. If you discuss the subject of the band rationally, he may well come to see your point, or he may say hejust likes jamming. If that's so, bow out but don't burn your bridge; things may be different at another time.

I am positive that shoving his buddy's Kelly up his burro will not endear you to the drummer, no mater what.

AS for a bass player, I'd put out a wide net.
                      You never know who'll be a good fit, and the more people you audition the more word spreads that you're looking for someone.

Anyway, good luck dealing with your stuation.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. You guys have all pretty much echoed my thoughts, that was what I was looking for. I'll let you know how it all goes!!

Comment

don't forget ace, the greats don't need a smoke break, they can do it while they're playing already.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Fortunately he had talent and worked his a$$ off to learn the nuiances of what we were doing. His personality fit perfect and his desire to be in a band allowed him broaden his scope of influences. He became one the most accomplished drummers I have ever seen or played with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was expecting a "zinger" sentence at the end like "That man's name? Nick Barker"
                            or something similar! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                            X