Calling all parts fabricators, both pros and hacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all parts fabricators, both pros and hacks

My franken-Media-Center-2005 PC is nearing completion, and has been in daily service for about a week now. I'm already addicted to the onscreen TV guide and recording.

Big MCE Picture

As you can see, this is just a mid tower case that I put pretty rubber feet on the right side, and turned it on that side. I didn't want to use the DVD and cd burner vertically, so I Dremeled a two-drive cage horizontally from another PC inside the three-drive cage already in this case.

Functional, but of course the hole won't be staying like this.

So Dave, Mark, et al.: I need to make a cover. It should have some curve top to bottom (because the front of the case curves) and not overtly stick out as being homemade. And it would be neat if it matched, either the beige (yawn) or the blue.

I have a couple of ideas knocking around, but none that have inspired me to start moving.

The floor is open: comments, tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Calling all parts fabricators, both pros and hacks

BUDMAN!?!?!?

Comment

Re: Calling all parts fabricators, both pros and h

He'd need pretty detailed specs to make that cover fit and match the radius and color of the tower. Just my .02

Comment

Hows the ventilation on that?
        Doesn't look like it has very much [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          He'd need pretty detailed specs to make that cover fit and match the radius and color of the tower. Just my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought, too. I'll bet he can offer some suggestions, but without being able to see it (or having CAD files or something) Dave's talents would be wasted on the franken-MPC.

Of course, whatever I do, it won't be (and doesn't need to be) perfect, just passable. And it isn't a structural piece or anything, just a cover.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Hows the ventilation on that?
            Doesn't look like it has very much [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not because of the gaping hole in the front, but even covered it moves air just fine. 80mm intake at the front (sucks to the left of what is visible in the pic), 80mm exhaust. Core idles at 40-43c.

You can't tell in the pic, but it sits on it's rubber feet a good 1/2" off the base of the entertainment center. I'm going to move the intake to the bottom of the case near the front (sort of an inverse-blowhole), so the incoming air has a clear shot at the hard drives before moving on.

Comment

You should get a kegerator and keep it in there!! Or just pump Freon through it!!

Comment

<font color="aqua">Keith, do you have any of the blank Panels that came out of there? Are you able to use a "good" tape measure with 1/16th graduations? 1/32nd graduations would be better or if you can read a dial caliper that would be even better. The actual drive componenets are fairly standard sized so that wouldn't be a problem but it's exactly where they are located in your modded box that makes it interesting. Shoot me an email if you'd like ok?
                </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Why not just get a desktop case. ?

Matt

Comment

Yes, Dave, I have all four covers that came out (it is a two-drive cage within a four-drive cage, not three like I said above). As to measurements, well, let's just say that I have a neighbor with reasonably good calipers who can help with that. But you're dead on: the size of the opening is 'standard' as is the size of the two drives, it's a matter of putting the opening for the two drives in the right spot. That Keith-i-fied two drive cage is adjustable horizontally, and to a lesser extent vertically, so that will help: the space to the left and right can be symmetrical.

Now Matt, what kind of question is that? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I mean, why do we do any of the things we do? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ya, you have a point, there is some satisfaction with building something yourself...

You are watching too much American Chopper.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Ya, you have a point, there is some satisfaction with building something yourself...

You are watching too much American Chopper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the gaming / recording rig:

I did the case the end of 1999 / start of 2000, when only hardcore nerds were cutting windows and rounding cables (and before everybody and their dog were selling the stuff off the shelf). The guts are newer, but the case has remained the same.

Comment

I like it man.. throw a woofer speaker in front of the port and hook up some sound activated lighting on the side.. a mirrored ball on the ceiling and you're good to go 'n DISCO!

Comment

Working...
                          X