No announcement yet.

where did head banging originate from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: where did head banging originate from?

hmmmmm. so it wasn't Kevin Dubrow. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

No his rug would fall off..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

As someone above mentioned, people bob their heads to music. Metal's speed just lends itself to faster bobbing of said head. I remember 2 semesters ago I was in my jazz class and we were watching a silent movie about jazz performers in New Orleans (silent movie about jazz, I get the irony) but yah the members of the "Dixiland Jass Band" were headbanging in that really weird old guy with a horn kinda way.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          No his rug would fall off..

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, man I just spit out my soda on that one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Gene Simmons is shown with the "horns" gesture on the cover of 1977's Love Gun album. Did Dio do this gesture before that?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Also IIRC in his book, Gene claims to have "invented" the gesture.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                it was first introduced after the first married couple who had ever been married on this planet were together for a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for headbanging in "rock" music, I remember seeing Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad and Ted Nugent swinging their long haired noggins back in the very early 1970s. I highly doubt they applied for a patent. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I remember reading a passage in Gene's book where he stated he came up with the idea of the "devil horns." Who the phuck knows, but whoever started it should be de-nutted. Nothing goofier than a drunk fan, sticking their tongue out and throwing horns. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                "POOP"

Comment

oh hell yeah..all Italians were doing that for centuries...it's an ancient sign..it involves the "evil eye"..

it's a very widespread tradition/superstition with Italians..

I know my whole family swears by it...there is a prayer to say that removes the evil eye...that is done with the sign of the cross on the forehead with olive oil...sounds silly...but it's very serious stuff.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

IIRC Headbanging was actually "started" by Blue Cheer back in ´67/´68 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I think Pygmies of Borneo was headbangin' back in 40 AD...well they had nothing better to do...they're pygmies.. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Of course the act of actually nodding ones head was developed many years ago. I think orthodox jews do it at the wailing wall.

However, the terms "headbanging" and "headbanger" are definitely modern terms. I personally believe the Lemmy story.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Lemmy has two coa coa puffs stuck to his face..

he's a bobblehead! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, I do think Angus Young started it and his fans imitated him. Maybe Blue Cheer did it but nobody remembers them, at least not compared to Angus Young they don't. At the time AC/DC came out, Lemmy was still in Hawkwind playing acid rock, and had not switched to speed or founded Motorhead yet.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

lerx,
                              what about humble pie? remember them?
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I've seen footage of Jack Bruce throwin' his noggin around in the Cream days. Man, he had a killer voice.
                                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                                X