Anyone like any of the newer bands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone like any of the newer bands?

"Chuck, if it's too "teenage-angst-ridden"....then you're too old!....LOL!!!!"

Yup, that's very true!
    I'm OK with that, too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuck, if you're looking for less gloomy stuff, I've recently discovered some decent "artsy" metal bands....

(These are not necessarily new bands, just new to me)

Avantasia
      Edguy
      Nightwish
      Lacuna Coil
      Sonata Arctica

Between the listening pages at Amazon and Century Media, its not hard to discover new metal bands these days.

Comment

Nightwish
        Chimaira
        Lamb Of God
        Shadows Fall
        Children Of Bodom
        Rusty Cooley

Their not really NEW bands. But they've recently got a bit more popularity
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Thanks G...yeah check out my list...it's just started to be honest...but it will all be there enetually...I have it all..Power metal , Metal core , grind core , Black Metal , Death ..old thrash...yada yada...if it's good ...I got it....or getting it...got nearly 5000 cds of stuff that I really like ...I probably sold or traded twice that ...that was crap.

BUT it is wayyyyyyyyyy too much like work to post all of it...but I attemepted it just before the holidays...I'll get back to it eventually..but I'm pretty busy right now with my own music and I'm also recording with the old band Attaxe..and I'm with the family unit...that leave me minutes to check in here ....give people the finger and that's about it..

I like to take one genre at at time...most people here love "powermetal"...I've been PM's mostly on this stuff...so I first concentrated on that genre...then I'll move to the next genre...so I won't miss anything..well that was the plan.

There is good and bad in every genre of metal...there are black metal bands that are equally good as the best powermetal bands...but fans of one seem to not like the other...I want to expose good metal to all...and break down some walls of the prejudice ...

as far as the newer "popular" stuff that's being played on MTV...it's Emo cor and Metal core...some of the bands are great...but most really suck...But I'll GLADLY take the worst metalcore over the "best" rap metal anyday...at least that BS is finally over...and for good reason ...because rap metal will and always will suck loads of goo..it was packaged , coporate cheeze wiz that the sheep swallowed so willingly and steralized the entire 90's mainstream into the worst music ever created ..even worse than disco IMO.

Hey Rappers can have their fukkin' Rap ...but leave MY metal the hell alone...they mix like oil and water...like Polka and classical...or worse.

But bands that are a required listen to fans of bands like this metal core stuff...is Himsa , All that remains , Beyond the embrace , Byzantine , the black daliah murder , mastodon , Shadows Fall , watch them die , lamb of god ..these bands all took from the heavyweights like swedish acts like At the Gates and mixed it with slayer or pantera...it's an Amercanized..In flames , soilwork , Darkane...and so on..so to speak.

there is so many cookie cutter BS bands that quickly jumped on the metal-core band wagaon...once again crap slinging panderers like Guitar World and MTV and the sheeple who love it put image before talent..wow what a surprise..

If you paint your finger nails and hair black and down tune your crap to B then whine very gay that your boyfriend left and then rage about it....you know it's sceam , scream ...sing gay ...then scream...song over...next band...same thing..I can't tell any of this crap apart from the next..but right now this image sells.

but to be fair you have a "formula" in EVERY genre of metal or any music ...how many Powermetal bands sound like helloween or blind guardian...and like each other...same goes for death and black metal...it's just that the mainstream beats a dead horse into a bloody pulp..and milks the bejesus out of a formula that make $$$ ...but this sure in the hell beats white kids emulating black kids..now at least they have their own identity ..instaed of looking and acting and talking like phony retards.

lets face it there is nothing common between a ghetto resident and a suburbanite..nothing at all...two completely different cultures and mindsets...it was like pounding a square peg into a round hole...but with with a decade worth of relentless promotion , the media was able to sell snowballs to eskimos..BIG TIME!!

The popularity of Eminem and ICP is proof that you can sell a pile of Sh!t ..if you promote it enough....even alot of you people bought into it....shame on you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey Horns666 do you know much about an older band called "Mundane"?
            I'm not even sure how to categorize it or describe them , but they have(had?) an interesting sound. A touch of tribalistic drums in a few songs. Cant seem to find any cds from them, just have a ripped cd-r from a friend of mine.

Comment

No , the only band that comes to mind is Mundanus Imperium...which is a power metal band w / vocal god Jorne Lande...that's it...Sorry.

I'll keep a look out for that..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Lamb of God just rocks!! Unearth is SEVERELY overlooked IMO..Suffocation is my new "love" but they are death metal. The new stuff is great. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

Comment

Miker, are they from Portugal?
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Kick-ass bands I've gotten into in the past couple years:

Opeth.
                    The Haunted.
                    Lamb of God.
                    Shadows Fall.
                    The Black Dahlia Murder.
                    Dillinger Escape Plan.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Hey Horns666 do you know much about an older band called "Mundane"?
                      I'm not even sure how to categorize it or describe them , but they have(had?) an interesting sound. A touch of tribalistic drums in a few songs. Cant seem to find any cds from them, just have a ripped cd-r from a friend of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Mundane are from my neck of the woods. I have the drummers phone number around here somewhere. They are, or were awesome. I haven't talked to any of the guys for a long time, and I don't even know if they are still playing. The tribal sound you're talking about is due to the singer. He has a small drum kit at the front of the stage when they play live, and he is a madman on them pounding out some TWISTED beats. He breaks about 10-12 drumsticks every show!!!

As far as I know, they have only one CD out, called SEED. I just happen to have an extra copy. You can have it for free, if you pay for postage.

I can't believe you've heard of them. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

By the way, the singer, and the drummer I think, are brothers originally from Portugal. Alex and Vitor are their names if I remember right.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Miker, are they from Portugal?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you know that Ron? You're very close. See my above post.

Comment

They also have another release Feeding On A Lower Spine (1997)

http://www.rockdetector.com/artist,6140.sm
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Therion.........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              They also have another release Feeding On A Lower Spine (1997)

http://www.rockdetector.com/artist,6140.sm

[/ QUOTE ]

****, I gotta get that.

Comment

You want me to name a few awesome things...OK

The Forasken...awesome!
                                Callenish Circle
                                Hatesphere
                                Gardenian
                                Terror 2000...w /spped of Soilwork awesome!
                                Darkane...I like them even better than Soilwork
                                The Crown
                                Disharmonia Mundi...w/ speed of soilwork
                                Enforsaken
                                Painmuseum...Metal mike's new band....not bad!
                                Symbyosis...very technical...one of my faves
                                Arsis...very technical death
                                Theory In Practice...tecj death
                                Gory Blister....tech death
                                Alarum
                                Cipher System
                                Fission...swede death
                                The Armenta
                                Necrophagist...technical
                                Winds
                                Opeth
                                Therion
                                Node
                                Skyfire
                                Imperanon...like COB
                                Throne Of Chaos
                                In Thy Dreams
                                Mystic Prophesy...Gud G best band
                                NightRage...Gus G's melodic death band..
                                Armegeddon...Chris Amott band..awesome!
                                Capharnaum
                                Carnal Forge
                                Hearse...Liva's new band..ex Arch Enemy
                                The Wake
                                Into Eternity...prog death...
                                Within Y
                                Eidolon
                                Zero Hour
                                Wintersun
                                Mercenary...awesome band.
                                Jag Panzer...their new casting the stone is their best!
                                Compus Menti..swedish death
                                Demonoid...therion mems doin' death..
                                Witchery...jens is a riff meister
                                The Haunted...jens at it again
                                Time Requiem...prog power..shred
                                Space oddessy...prog power..big time shred
                                Omnium Gatherum
                                Embraced
                                Evergrey...great band.
                                Blind Colony
                                Reclusion
                                Eucharist
                                Sacriledge

some old faves and MUST haves

Apocrypha
                                psychotic Waltz
                                Wrathchild America
                                Spastic Ink
                                Helstar...didstant thunder / nosferatu
                                Forbidden
                                Nocturnus
                                Watchtower
                                Atheist
                                Coroner....they rule!
                                Hexenhouse
                                Momento Mori
                                Tad Narose
                                Morgana Lefay
                                Heathen
                                Last Crack
                                Defiance

one of my very favorite bands and guitarist...Is Jeff Loomis and Nevermore...you can never go wrong with Nevermore in my book.

and everything else that was mentioned so far except for as I lay dying and Unearth...they are very generic ....compared to antthing I just mentioned IMO

especially as I lay dying...no solos...no hooks ....and lots of "generic" screaming ..then sing very poorly clean...that is on the verge of whining..like a lot of Metal core crap.

I don't think Metal was intended to have whining...and no solos..I understand that everything does not require a solo....but I rather have the solos ...than the whining....very gay...gayyyyyyy whining....like as I lay dying does...but they are not as bad as a lot of other bands...that sound the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X