Korg Keyboards and Synths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg Keyboards and Synths

Anyone here have any experience with Korg Keyboards? Specifically the Triton LE and Karma boards. I have been looking at buying a keyboard as my next guitar purchase and have some knowledge of piano playing, not a lot. I was looking for something that had a built in sequencer and started looking at the Le boards. I noticed the Karma is basically a Triton with their Karma software that looks very powerful. I was wondering how easy are they to use and can you just turn off all the extra stuff if I just wanted a keyboard with a piano sound?

I have a friend back in Virginia who has a Full Triton workstation and I liked what I heard when I listened to it. I just never had any time working with it at all.

Thanks
    Mark
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Re: Korg Keyboards and Synths

I used to know a little about em when I worked at the music store, but not really enough to help ya make a real decision. The Triton's used to sell like crazy there. I loved em myself, the LE version is very cool in itself too. It has a lotta great features to it and an insane amount of sounds to tweak. I also remember they are kinda pricey, so if you wanna keep it simple, there might be others out there for ya. But on the other hand you can expand em to do so many awsome things with that it would also be a really good investment. I don't have any experience with the Karma, but I can tell ya I liked the LE a lot. That might actually be my next buy in a few months, but I'm sure by the time I actually get around to buying it (gotta stop with the guitars first), they'll introduce a new model. But good luck in your search.

- Irfaan -

Comment

The Karma looks insane. Tuomas of Nightwish uses one now, though that doesn't add much to your thread.

Comment

The Triton is good stuff, but the best keyboard out there is the Yamaha Motif.

Comment

Thanks all. Tough choices to make. I guess I need to hit a few places and actually try a few out. Damn, I have to shopping.

Comment

Long as it ain't the shopping where you end up holdin 5 pairs of shoes and a mountain of clothes, it's good shoppin [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I second the Yamaha Motif vote. The Triton was great when it was introduced, but Korg hasn't kept up Yamaha in the "synth wars" since then. The downside of the Motif, however, is that it is more difficult to use than the Triton, from what I've heard. But the sounds in the Motif are awesome.

Korg does sequencers very well, and I think that part of the Triton is probably golden, but the sounds and polyphony on the Triton aren't up to par anymore. The good side of it is that you can get used Tritons more cheaply, since they aren't the "flavor of the month" anymore.

Comment

Ya know, I got one of those Alesis QS6.2 keyboards and for the money that little baby kicks ass!! Its not in the league of the Triton or Motif by anymeans as far as features but it has kick ass sounds, right out of hte box too. I have a friend that has a Korg Triton and he was amazed with the Alesis I have, in fact he says the Alesis synth tones actaully top the Tritons. He means actual synth tones like the cars, Journey, Styx, that type of stuff. He said his trition really lacks in that department. I am really intersted in that ALesis ION synth, but I have heard it has reliability issues.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I have been doing a bit of research over the last few days sparked from some of the responses and the Motif series looks awesome. For what I wanted to spend I wouldn't get an ES series and it appears you can only get a Motif6 now, new anyway. The Karma and the Motif may be way more than what I really need. I am currently still looking at the Triton Le and now the Yamaha S08. Those looks like they will do what I want and more actually. I just need to go test them some day.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X