Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about a few guitar related things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about a few guitar related things...

I have 3 guitar related questions. First off, can anyone suggest a new kind of pick for me? I used to use the really sharp tortex picks, but they are not working out anymore. I find the smaller the pick, the better. Secondly, can anyone point me in the direction of classical music similar to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor? I am nearly done learning it on guitar and I am wondering what else is out there that is similar. By similar, I mean compositions that I can play with a pick, or even some begining fingerpicking songs. I find playing Toccata really helps my technique and it is a cool tune to play! Finally, have any of you been to guitartricks.com lately? I used to go there all the time. Some of the lessons are pretty cool. Problem is now you have to pay to listen to the audio files. Being somewhat of an auditory learner, I found being able to listen to the music as well as see how it was played was very helpful. I am wondering if there are similar sites out there
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: question about a few guitar related things...

1: Dunlop Jazz III picks. Very popular around here & have been my favorite for many years. I think they make the same shape in Ultex, but I've never tried them.

2: Some Bach that I like & is available in Powertab:

Brandenburg Concerto 33. It's arranged for 3 guitars. Pickable single note lines, pretty fast & challenging.

Bourree in E Minor. Relatively easy fingerstyle.

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. Simple fingerstyle. I like the melody. It's fun to play at a higher tempo.

3: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/ has lots of lessons with audio. Some midi, some mp3.

Comment

Mojo picks, they're about the size of a Jazz III but the mass really evens out your playing. Ignore the cheesy web page and AOL address, this guy is really onto something here. I've got an extra, if you want it PM me your mailing address - it'd be nice if at least one person here didn't think I was insane for liking these things. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I use the red Jazz III's, and very rarely either the black Jazz III or the Stubby Jazz 3.0mm. For other classical type stuff that you can play with a pick, go to a real music store (meaning NOT Guitar Center) and pick up pretty much any violin/viola/cello etude book. The standard thing everyone seems to do is Paganini, but I'd say grab something else as that's been done to death.

Comment

I thought the red Jazz IIIs were the same as the black Jazz IIIs. At least I couldn't tell a difference. I've been using the same black one ever since I got my Shannon! I am quite surprised at their durability, considering they're nylon (I think) like some of Dunlop's other nylon picks that I was unsatisfied with due to the picks tearing and wearing away quickly.

YetAnotherOne, mind if I PMed you about that Mojo pick? Yeah, that website was pretty damn cheesy... I only briefly skimmed it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The black ones have a rough texture to them, while the red ones are smooth. They're both 1.38mm nylon picks though, and feel pretty similar. I just prefer the smoother feel of the red ones myself.

I also have been using the same 3 picks (1 of each type mentioned in my first post) for almost 7 months and they look pretty much new.

Comment

Working...
            X