No announcement yet.

How have your musicial tastes changed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have your musicial tastes changed??

Ok, over the years I have been "evolving" to where I am now. I first heard Ozzy when I was 14, and thought he was the coolest. Got lost in 80's metal for years, Maiden, Scorpions, etc...hated grunge. Loved Slayer, Pantera, old Metallica, Megadeth etc.. (please don't kill me if my genres are incorrect)..Then...the nu (?) metal came out....So I started listening to Godsmack (they were ok..) which led me to COC (I like them) which led me to Hatebreed (used to like them, but they just are way overrated)..which led me to a whole NEW can of worms...Unearth, Lamb of God, Black Daliah Murder, Children of Bodom...that line of stuff...which somehow led to Death, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation. If you had asked me 2 years ago if I liked "Death Metal"..I would have said, no, just a bit to heavy for me...but..things change. So, what I am asking, is has your tastes changed/evolved like this??

Re: How have your musicial tastes changed??

So you went from classic metal to hair metal to nu metal to hardcore metal to death metal. LoL, I thought you were going to say you went from metal to jazz or something. I'm really not a bastard, lol, my sense of humor is just really rough. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    But being serious, my tastes have changed numerous times. As a kid I was into country and oldies. As I grew older it went to classical and opera. Then went to rap and reggae, then to nu metal then to Thrash/Death/Melodic stuff that I listen to now. Still love classical and metal and I'm now getting into blues. I'm all over the place [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

- Irfaan -

Comment

Well, I started listening to Sweet, Kiss, and ABBA when I was in third grade. I listened to them pretty much through grade school and Jr. High, and I still listen to them. I started getting into AC/DC in Jr. High. Then, in high school, I started listening to Rush, and from then on I became a huge prog rock fan; Rush, Yes, Queensryche, Dream Theater, etc.

Along the way a few artists have snuck in, with musical styles that don't fit into the rock/metal genre: Tori Amos, The Corrs, The Chieftans, Seal, and others.

The thing I find interesting is that I still listen to stuff I liked 25 years ago. Heck, Kiss is still touring, and ABBA, love them or not, have had a huge revival as of late with the play Mamma Mia and so on. So obviously, there is still a place in today's society for some of the older music I liked, so it must now be considered "classic".

I wonder how many kids listening to Ashlee Simpson and Brittney Spears will be able to say the same thing two decades from now?

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Oh yeah, I am a HUGE Johnny Cash fan, Bee Gees and Temptations..but the music I listen to MOST is metal, so that was what I was using for this "evolution"..

Comment

ya, first it was junk numetal, then punk, then Hardcore Metalcore, and now its softer stuff, but i love hardcore metal stuff still.

Comment

Radio pop/rock in my pre-teen years ----> pop-punk in my teen years ----> heavy metal in my late teens ----> most sub-genres of metal, instrumental guitar (Satriani), movie soundtracks, rock (Pink Floyd, Goo Goo Dolls), generally widening my tastes and keeping an open mind in my early twenties in order to keep my guitar playing varied and versatile.

Occasionally I will listen to the classical music radio station here too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Oh yeah, I am a HUGE Johnny Cash fan, Bee Gees and Temptations..but the music I listen to MOST is metal, so that was what I was using for this "evolution"..

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go, lol. Those are some cool dudes also. My mom used to listen to em a lot too. Wish I could remember some of it. I remember the Temptations, 1 Bee Gees song (the most famous one, dosen't count) and a few Jonny Cash songs. Gonna go dig up some old records now, lol

Comment

I used to listen to both kinds of music, Country and Western. But actually I could have lived in the 80s and still be happy today. I really didn't need all of the new progressive music.

However, I find myself looking into older music that I have never been into in order to discover the roots of the newer stuff.

Comment

I grew up listening to a lot of the oldies music my parents liked, The Beatles, Elvis, all of that other stuff that was played on the radio throughout the early '70s. Then when the '80s hit, I got into the harder and heavier stuff, even some punk, hardcore. I liked most of the "hair" stuff in the '80s (never really cared for the gay glam image, but there were a lot of cool bands), but I always gravitated to the heavier bands more, like Ozzy, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Testament, Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Accept, WASP, Warrior Soul. I had some friends that were into death metal and started listening to Death, Celtic Frost, then later got into Obituary, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, etc. I also listened to some prog bands such as Yes, King Crimson, Rush, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, King's X, even a little blues here and there. I still like to listen to a lot of the old-school stuff, but I really like some of the newer bands, too, such as Lamb of God, The Black Dahlia Murder, The Haunted, Sinergy, Children of Bodom. Never cared too much for the nu-metal or grunge scene, but there were some pretty good bands to come out of each genre. I even like some classical and jazz once in awhile, or softer rock and pop stuff like Tori Amos, some older Green Day, but I primarily still listen to the heavier stuff and seem to prefer it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When I was younger I listened to AC/DC, Van Halen, Metallica, GNR, Motley Crue, basically all of the popular 80's rock and metal. Eventually I started getting into the less popular stuff from those genres and discovered Yngwie. After hearing him, I totally got into all of the old and new instrumental guitar stuff along with power metal and classical music. Through some of the intrumental and power metal stuff I managed to discover prog metal and jazz/fusion stuff. Now I listen to a mix of everything I just listed here, there is nothing right now that I used to like but don't anymore so I don't know that my tastes have changed. It's more like they've expanded as I've learned about more music.

Oh I also listen to a little bit of blues because I like to jam with some friends of mine and all they know is blues so that's what I have to play with them!

Comment

Early on it was my parents records. Sam & Dave, The Supremes, Tom Jones, The Association, Jefferson airplane, The Beatles, Johnny Rivers, 3 Dog Night. As I started looking for something that was mine and not my parents I got into the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean they hated the surfer music, so I loved it. Then in 82/83 I heard Runaway (Bon Jovi) and Too young to fall in love (Motley) and I was hooked. Dokken soon became my favorite and still is out of the 80s. During that time no other music could hold a candle to what those L.A based bands were doing. I liked some of the Seattle bands but hated grunge. As rap and metal began to mix I turned to blues and started get more into SRV, Hendrix, Clapton. With the current vocal growlings of metal I'm getting back into the 70s rock Jefferson airplane, Mountain, Free, Sweet, Traffic, early Journey, Boston even stuff like Ozark Mountain Dare Devils, Pure Prairie League. Actually I have opened up my once closed ears to all kinds of music; Country, Jazz, Rock, Blues, Classical, lately if a song sounds good regardless of styling I'll listen.

Comment

I went from Kiss at a very young age to Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, to Fear Factory (early era), Carcass, Deicide, Cancer, Morbid Angel, etc. Also still listened to some milder metal in that death metal era like Testament, Metal Church, Voivod, Cyclone Temple, and the like. The 90's bands I liked were mainly Pantera and Alice in Chains.

Now I listen to a few bands I didn't really pay attention to years ago like King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Crowbar, and Obituary. I don't really care for the Children of Bodom type sound. I find myself listening to the older stuff instead.

Comment

They are not changed at all!More than ten years of fuckin good quality Metal! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I was a huge Genesis and Phil Collins fan when I was 5 years old. Also I listened stuff like Alice Cooper, Tina Tuner, Bon Jovi, Toto, Marillion, Scorpions etc. funny eh.
                            When I was 8-9 years old, my fav band was ZZ TOP, they are still my fav. I also listened various radio rock and pop. I always liked those guitar solos and Billy Gibbons was my idol. Thanks to him I started playing guitar when I was 14. At the same time I started listnening to Metallica. When I was 15-16, I listened to a lot of Metal: heavy (Maiden, Ozzy etc,) thrash (Metallica, Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax etc.) and even some death metal. Also I listened a lot of80's stuff like Whitesnake, Van Halen, Def Leppard etc. and instrumental guitar music (shredders and stuff) Vai, Satch, Yngwie etc. and blues. After that period I started listening more prog rock and prog metal bands, jazz, fusion,calssical then some Nu-metal bands, pop, rap, electronical stuff, new age, flamenco, eastern music and all that traditional and oriental stuff. Now I listen to almost everything except metal (that real heavy stuff, death, black, thrash etc.) and hardcore techno. Still my alltime favs are 80's hair and glam bands and some good prog stuff.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I started off listening to Bon Jovi and Pink Floyd
                              The my nan gave me a Black Sabbath Vinyl and i was hooked on them.

Then a friend of my dads gave me an iron maiden cd, loved it.

Then i got into Metallica, then i heard Judas Priest Painkiller, so the shredding got to me.

Then i started getting into heavier things like Carcass

It kept going on like this for a while untill i got into shred. Bands like Racer X etc

Then i got into bands like Children Of Bodom

Now recently i'm really into shred, death metal and the european metal stuff. But i'm also really getting into Blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jazz like George Benson and Charlie Hunter

IT's all good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                              X