Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help

I am pretty good with computers but I am having a problem with a newly acquired IBM desktop. Here are the specs.
    IBM Netvista 2257-32U
    2257-32U Celeron 1.3GHz
    256KB 128MB 40GB
    7200RPM 48x CD-ROM 56K data/fax modem Windows XP Home Integrated 810e
    It was hanging up when XP Home would load so I decided to format the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro.
    I successfully formatted the hard drive by using a Win 98 boot disk to get me to the A prompt. So far so good.
    I ran Fdisk and it told me that the hard drive has been partitioned.
    Here is where I am stuck. When I put the Win XP PRO CD in the drive it does nothing. I downloaded the 6 XP pro floppys but when I install them I get an error at disk 4 with a corrupt file and it ends the install (I forget what it is)
    I tried a new set of disks and I get the same error. It is a .sys error.
    Anyway, should I go into the BIOS and change the boot configuration order so that it boots from the CD?
    Is my official licensed Windows XP disk bootable? I would assume it is?
    Did I leave out an important step? I haven't formatted a hard drive and installed a new operating system in a long time. This PC had XP home installed on it originally.
    Thanks in advance!!

Re: Computer Help

Ya man you should try booting from a cd. Floppies are quickly going the way of the dinosaur. Sounds like, if you tried downloading the software to two different sets of floppies and there is always a problem on disk four, there is a problem with the file. If you have an XP Pro cd, and you have not used it yet, you should be able to install it? (I think so anyways)
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Am I right in thinking that I need to change the boot order in the bios so that it boots from the D (cd) drive?
      Hopefully that is the solution. It's a nice box. My next door neighbor gave it to me because she couldn't figure out how to fix it(she also lost all the recovery and restore disks) and out of frustration she went out and bought a new one.

Comment

Yeh, Bios, Boot from CD.

I've seen that error tho, a lot. More than I'd like to admit actually.

Let us know...

Pat

Comment

yep...change the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot first from C: then whatever your CD Drive is (D

on XP Pro you'll want to throw additional stick of ram in there...128 meg is really not enough for XP Pro
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have another 128 meg that I will throw in tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I've got a computer that did exactly the same thing when I tried to install XP Pro the first time. I formatted the hard drive, tried the 6 floppy thing and got the same error (corrupt file around disk 4). I tried to get it to boot from the CD by changing it in the BIOS, but it never would (Windows XP Disk should though) I believe mine to be a computer problem. I ended up doing a basic install of Windows 98 (just enough to be in a windows environment) and then istalled XP and had it overwrite 98 like it was a clean install. Just a thought if you still have a 98 install disk hanging around.

Comment

Some hardware will not run with XP, home or pro, nature of the beast... Hopefully that's not what's up here. If so, I'm going to point to the board...

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Some hardware will not run with XP, home or pro, nature of the beast... Hopefully that's not what's up here. If so, I'm going to point to the board...

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer is 1-2 years old and came from IBM with Win XP Home Edition installed on it so I would guess that it should be fine running XP Pro.

Comment

Some PCs (such as Dell Computers) have a menu when you first turn the computer on that will allow you to boot to a specific device (CD, Hard Drive, Floppy, etc.). If yours does not have this, hit the key that will allow you to go into the BIOS and change your boot sequence to CD ROM then Hard drive.

Boot your PC with the XP CD in the drive and let XP do "its thing". Once it has done its thing it will ask you what you want to do. You want to install XP and it will look for previous versions of Windows installed. What ever it finds, I would recommend that you let XP reformat your HD (XP has the formatting feature built into the CD). That way there is no issues with your 98 formatting process.

Once you have done this, follow the prompts and you should have a PC up and running. I do this stuff all the time; actually 2 times last week to my PC when I replaced my HD.

Come back and post where you are if you still have issues or let us know if things are working for you. There are many people here that are knowledgable and willing to help.

Regards

Comment

Try starting up the xp disc in. That should take you to a prompt about a repair or new install. If not hold F8 as soon as you try to boot up, go into bios , and make sure you can boot from cd. If not , I would have to agree with Pat.
                      www.kiddhavok.com
                      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Did you plug it in? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

I tried booting up with the XP disk in the drive but it's not reading it. I will change the boot sequence tonight and check back in. Thanks..

Comment

go into the bios and boot from disc.

you really didn't need to go use the 98 boot disc to format it. Windows XP use NTFS which is loooooads better then FAT32 format. Its a lot safer and stable then Fat32.

Comment

John, everyone's suggestion to boot from CD is the best thing.

Important note:
                              I'm assuming here that you have already used the product key for your existing XP Pro machine and that it is not a volume license key. If that's correct then you are still not going to be successful with this installation for very long unless you acquire another valid Windows XP Pro product key. The XP Home product key that came with the machine will not work with XP Pro. You will be able to run for a period of time without activating the Windows installation but eventually you will need to come up with another product key.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X