Never thought it would happen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Never thought it would happen...

Sully -- I'm glad you are back into to it.

As far as Dime, I feel exactly the same way as you. I was never a big fan of Pantera because of the screaming vocals. I liked them but not enough to buy an album. The songs where Phil actually sang were good. I just knew of him from the guitar mag interviews and what friends told me about the person that he was. Dime could play like a mofo so I had a lot of respect for him as a player but also had respect for him as a cool person too.

When he was murdered it hit me hard and I really don't know why nor did I understand it. I bought CFH and it has been continously playing in my CD player ever since. I learned "Cemetery Gates" and recording it as a tribute, I have all the parts down I just need time to finish recording it. It was a week ot two after his his passing that I was playing the song with my eyes close and in a daze, I realised that tears running down my face, I wasn't trying to fight it and then I really began to cry (hey, I'm man enough now to admit it. A couple days later I went on to learn "The Sleep" (part of my delay in finishing Gates) and would like to record that one too.

Again I have no idea why it hit me so hard, perhaps when Randy went (my idol at the time) I couldn't cry, was too macho or stupid or whatever. I may have some guilt too becuase I had the oportunity to see them many times and never did [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I moved to Houston in 87 and event then on the local circute, they were the talk of the town and they were in Dallas but played Houston a lot
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      edit timed out, so heres the song I uploaded.
      Avoid The Light
      Its off the Dracula 2000 soundtrack, one of the last pantera songs I think, anyway its dime shreddin' up and not a well known track.
      enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pantera also has a track on the Heavy Metal 2000 soundtrack called Immortally Insane which is pretty good too.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It feels strange saying this, but I'm thankful you and Chuck posted your honesty about getting sick of guitars and playing. It made me do some serious thinking, career wise.

Since my little decision to stay in college and work towards a degree outside music, music has moved from being what I want to do for a living to just being my real passion. I'm getting alot more playing done, writting better music, and just plain having fun. Happiness really does have to come straight from the heart, and that creates some truely kick ass art.

I'm still going to record and sell my own CDs, but I really don't care if I make any money off it. Does zero income mean the music sucks? Hell no!

Glad to hear that Dime has inspired you to play again. If he heard that, I'm sure he's touched. Nothing about that should make you feel like a loser or poser. Rock on!

Comment

I can't even put into words what I wanna say. I've deleted my post 4x already. Pantera was a huge influence not only on my playing, but my life. If he inspired you to pick up the guitar again, then damned that's great. I'm sure he'd love it. No reason to feel anything negative about that. I picked up the guitar because of his playing and continue to play because of the inspiration his music gives me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I think if Dime were able to talk to you, he'd put his arm around your shoulder, clank beer bottles with you and say, "Man, it doesn't make a difference to me when or how you got into my music. What's important is that in some way it touched you and sparked something within you. Isn't that what music is all about?"

OK, maybe that would be me who would say that, but the message is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really an emotional guy, but that is fukkin beautifual man. I think he WOULD have said that. I never had the opportunity to meet Dime but there are plenty of people here on the board who have, you included Sully. I feel that once you have discovered a new "reason" to play, that's all that matters. For me playing is theraputic (sp?). I work 14 hours a day and sometimes i come home and i'm just spent. My brain hurts and i just wanna sit back and do a bowl and play for a while. Within 30 minutes i feel relaxed and able to go to bed with a smile. Ok, i'm not an idiot to believe the herb doesn't have something to do with that, but for me it's a package deal. The guitar is KEY to my happiness. I don't need a lot in life but music is definitely very high on my list. I'm glad you have found a new reason to play. I bet you have been smiling a lot more. String em up bro !!
            Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Very cool Sully, thanks for sharing that. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

dude...you take your inspiration where you can get it...period...does NOT mean you are a poser...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

i wish i could play guitar again. it seems so far away right now, it's like a butterknife going through my neck.
                  i really miss it but i have had no desire for a long time now. maybe something will hit me over the head and get my ass in gear.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    i wish i could play guitar again. it seems so far away right now, it's like a butterknife going through my neck.
                    i really miss it but i have had no desire for a long time now. maybe something will hit me over the head and get my ass in gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep your eye on the prize Tommy... There are many around this country pulling for you.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

I usually hate the "Me, too!" posts, but...uh...me too! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I was never a big Pantera fan, and I didn't get into Damageplan that much, either. I've just never been a fan of those kinds of he-man, tough guy vocals. But I've always respected Dime as an amazing and gifted player, as well as just an all around wonderful human being.

I saw Pantera on the Great Southern Trendkill tour, and they just didn't do it for me. I spent the whole night waiting on guitar solos, because that was the one part of the show that wouldn't disappoint me.

Now that he's gone, it has really opened me up more to what he was doing. I've since gone out and bought the CBFH and VDOP, and have been immursing myself into the wonderful heavy groves of the two brothers Abbot, and seeing amazing simularities between it and the work of one of my favorite bands, King's X. Dime may have been metal, but that wasn't what totally defined him.

I've found myself really inspired by his command of the instrument and complete over the top, almost out of control style a la EVH. Digging through old Guitar World lessons has been both illuminating and saddening at the same time. However, I have felt myself coming out of the year long rut I've been in, and my playing is improving in leeps and bounds. You never know where or when you're going to get inspiration--the most important thing is that you caught it. Dime would probably just say, "Well, glad I could f**kin' help, bro!" [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice story Sully. I'm glad you decided to pick up the guitar again. Keep playing. Keep listening. Dime loved playing probably as much as any guitar player ever did. His passion for playing is what inspires us all and surely is what snapped you out of your dorment state.

Comment

That's a great thing, Sully. I'm happy for you, and Dime would be too.

Comment

I knew you couldn't cut your arms off...good thing too as the resulting handicapp jokes would probably get someone the nutnoose. j/k [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good to hear yer playing again. (I'm still gonna send ya that tape too - possibly that will define 'poser' for you a little more clearly.) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are too busy hittin that young tail now to be worrying about guitar.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                              X