Opinions on guitar shows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on guitar shows....

What are peoples experiences with guitar shows.

Any good ones in the Boston or NYC areas?

Thanks for your time.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Re: Opinions on guitar shows....

You can check out shows here:
    http://www.guitarshows.com/home_flash.html

I've only been to one out in Framingham in the fall which was kinda small. I hear the Philly show is huge, but have never been able to attend. I think Ebay is slowly making these things obsolete. What do other people think?
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree that Ebay is taking the dough from them and many other local types of shops as well. Basically killing the local guys.

Every guitar show I've been to here in Cleveland, the sellers were crying big time about lack of turnout and no one wanting to meet their prices.

On the other hand, so many of the sellers were asking outrageous prices for guitars that weren't anything special really, "it might be old, but it ain't no collectable", haha. If it was a Les Paul or Fender, it was way too much money. I hate to say it, but many dealers I checked out were trying to rape people and giving them misinformation. So, you have to be an astute and informed type of buyer really. Then you have the power.

The redeeeming part was that there would be some boutique amps that you woulnd't see anywhere around. It was a guitar show where I was able to play my first Bogner 101.

I have also gotten deals on (what they considered disposable) stuff that someone would unload just to their gas expenses for the weekend, so that can happen. If sales are bad, they will often unload stuff they don't deem as really valuable. Many are old schoolers that come here and the pointy guitars aren't a valued item. I got a mint BC Rich USA SS1 for like 75 bucks and a distortion pedal once! It was Pink and had to be refinished though, hehe...

On the other hand, sometimes you will see an RR1 displayed like it was the Holy Grail! hehe... Must be the shape as pointy strats seem to less valued. Unless they are Jacksons and then they suddenly all seem to become San Dimas's, haha.

Buyer beware. But worth the fun of seeing it all for sure.

Comment

Cool guys thanks for the input. Thats kinda what I figured, but I wanted a second opinion.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          You can check out shows here:
          http://www.guitarshows.com/home_flash.html

I've only been to one out in Framingham in the fall which was kinda small. I hear the Philly show is huge, but have never been able to attend. I think Ebay is slowly making these things obsolete. What do other people think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because that site is only for one lame ass promoter. You are doing the wrong shows.

There are good shows left, but you have to travel. Philly has alot of great guitars. Deals can be okay once in a while, but don't expect a screaming deal (last Fall i swear there was less than 30 guitars under $1K there). Small shows are good to try to nab a deal. One of those guitarshows.com shows in Hartford produced a clean Charvel star with brass trem. I bought it for Tracy, but it was a fair price, not a steal. Thats how it is at almost all shows these days. either they know exactly what it is worth, or they have it way too overpriced. Rarely are the great deals on collectable stuff still there.

Comment

Thanks for your input Jim and fair enough, so are ther any shows in the NE other than Philly (which I will probably not get to anytime soon.

Comment

No great shows. Just a bunch of small ones.

Comment

Every guitar show I've been to has been horribly disappointing. I don't think I would ever buy a guitar at a show, but I do occasionally buy parts.

Comment

Working...
                X