The Pixies ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pixies ?

Not to step on anyones toes who may like this sort of thing But I just don't get it.They were on Austin City limits season finale show Friday night out here in Phoenix.I tried to watch and understand where they were coming from musically but just couldn't.Are they serious or is this a joke on all of of us?How in the heck does a band like this get on Austin City limits?Maybe my group needs to contact them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: The Pixies ?

Combining jagged, roaring guitars and stop-start dynamics with melodic pop hooks, intertwining male-female harmonies and evocative, cryptic lyrics, the Pixies were one of the most influential American alternative rock bands of the late '80s. The Pixies weren't accomplished musicians -- Black Francis wailed and bashed out chords while Joey Santiago's lead guitar squealed out spirals of noise. But the band were inventive, rabid rock fans that turned conventions inside out, melding punk and indie guitar rock, classic pop, surf rock, and stadium-sized riffs with singer/guitarist Black Francis' bizarre, fragmented lyrics about space, religion, sex, mutilation, and pop culture; while the meaning of his lyrics may have been impenetrable, the music was direct and forceful. The Pixies' busy, brief songs, extreme dynamics, and subversion of pop song structures proved one of the touchstones of '90s alternative rock. From grunge to Britpop, the Pixies' shadow loomed large -- it's hard to imagine Nirvana without the Pixies' signature stop-start dynamics and lurching, noisy guitar solos. While the Pixies were touted as the band to bring indie rock into the mainstream, they simply laid the groundwork for the alternative explosion of the early '90s. MTV was reluctant to play their videos, while even modern rock radio didn't put their singles into regular rotation. Furthermore, tensions between leader Black Francis and bassist/vocalist Kim Deal, who wanted to incorporate her songs into the band's repertoire, crippled the band's progress. By the time Nirvana broke the doors down for alternative rock in 1992, the Pixies were effectively broken up.

Basically the Pixies are as to the early 90's as Radiohead and Wilco are to the early 2000's.

Comment

I love the Pixies bt you ask if they are a joke... Yes and No they don't take themselves to seriously and honestly I saw them on the reunion tour this year and was less than impressed. The were a good punk pand though... they were creative and had a ton of energy. Where i grew up there was a big Punk and Metal underground and I am pretty familiar with both scenes... some pixies stuff is really hit or miss though..
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]The Pixies are GOD !! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
        Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Well Superfly you are from Boston [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can listen to Monkey Gone or Dig for Fire all day long

Comment

They just have the coolest vibe. I saw them last year when they FINALLY came here. Was friggin great.

Comment

I sw hem a few times ight before the breakup just like Janes LOL Saw Frank a few times too...

Comment

Like the Femmes?

Comment

yeah one song makes me cry because of a funeal I went o in HS... I like them don't love them but American Music will always have a place in my heart... RIP Jackie...

Comment

Working...
                  X