Just got back from seeing GWAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back from seeing GWAR

They're playing pretty small clubs on this current "Mock the Vote" tour, so I didn't have to travel far to see them. Much of the commentary between songs was pretty pointed and angry, much more topical than what you see in their movies and videos. The costumes are better than ever. Oderus dedicated "Immortal Corruptor" to the memory of Dimebag and cursed CNN for having alleged that Dime was a drug dealer. They didn't do two of the very topical songs that I was expecting — "Back to Iraq" and "Saddam-a-go-go" — and didn't do two of their biggest classics, "Maggots" and "Gor-Gor," which I was also expecting. So it was kind of a short set, less than an hour and half, but maybe that had something to do with it being a week night. The whole band plays ESP/LTD guitars now, and all I could make out on the backline was a couple of Krank amps. Surprisingly, Flattus (Corey Smoot) took all the leads. Some of the celebrity victims were Arnold Schwarzenegger, Paris Hilton, Osama bin Laden, GW Bush, Michael Jackson and Laci Peterson (to the tune of "Have You Seen Me?").

Pissed me off that their merchandise flunkies didn't have any of the good swag items (I was specifically looking for the comic books), but it's a show definitely worth checking out if they're playing near you.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Re: Just got back from seeing GWAR

Gwar!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I saw them open for White Zombie at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC in the early '90s. I was up front, wearing a white Metallica shirt. By the time I left, the shirt (and myself, as well as my friends) looked camouflaged and like we had just come off a battlefield, and my contact lenses were stained a reddish-purple for a couple days later. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    What a wild show!!!!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I saw them at "City Gardens" in Trenton probably about 11 years ago. Besides being fantastic performers, thewy are actually a pretty good band, musically. I still have my t-shirt from that show at my mom's house somewhere-it is about 40 different colors! If they come around you, I definitely recommend seeing them, just to experience the craziness that is GWAR!

BTW, how's Slymenstra looking these days? She had a smokin' body back in the day.

Comment

I saw them back in the mid-90s--that was a FUN show! And I couldn't even name one of their songs--then or now.

Comment

They are in Lincoln at the end of the month. Friday night...GWAR show....oh yeahhh. Good Times. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

GWAR used to be a giant circus-like production, but here lately has become a really stripped-down five-piece metal band. Who happen to dress up like monsters from outer space, but you get my meaning. Anyway, the secondary characters — Slymenstra Hymen, Sleazy P. Martini, Sexecutioner, Techno-Destructo, Cardinal Syn, etc. — are all gone now. Which means they can't perform some really good songs and routines (Slymenstra's fire dance, for example), but they are still a great metal band. Most of the non-metal, humorous elements in their songs are gone since the development of their side project DBX, which is more of a silly punk band.

Comment

is Alabama Thunderpussy opening for GWAR this whole tour?

Comment

yeah they put on a great show.I saw them like 5 time in the 90's 2 times in NH and the other times in RI.At one of the shows my friend Scott had a contact lense knocked out by a piece of Oterus' brain
                www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Gwar shows rule! My friend got put through the giant meat grinder they used to have on stage. And I remember how cool I thought the steak bass was. Do any of you guys remember when they had another band on the side called Ex-Cops. They all dressed up in police uniforms and sang about abusing perps and shit like that. My old band used to do a cover of Sick Of You.

Comment

there like the mighty morphing power rangers of metal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, X-Cops... paddy wagon rape, great song! I've seen GWAR about 12 times. I got rid of all their stuff when I became a father two years ago. As a Dad, I need to forget that that kind of stuff exists.

Comment

I thought the Metal Church cover of Deep Purple's "Highway Star" was great, but it's got nothin' on the X-Cops version.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          GWAR used to be a giant circus-like production, but here lately has become a really stripped-down five-piece metal band. Who happen to dress up like monsters from outer space, but you get my meaning. Anyway, the secondary characters — Slymenstra Hymen, Sleazy P. Martini, Sexecutioner, Techno-Destructo, Cardinal Syn, etc. — are all gone now. Which means they can't perform some really good songs and routines (Slymenstra's fire dance, for example), but they are still a great metal band. Most of the non-metal, humorous elements in their songs are gone since the development of their side project DBX, which is more of a silly punk band.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of it without the great show? I mean, if these guys want to prove they are real musicians, dressing up as Oderous Urungus and Co. probably won't help them make their case... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Maybe the show got to be too expensive for the gate they could draw at smaller venues.

Comment

Working...
                          X