Strangletooth, please respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangletooth, please respond

I tried to PM you but it didn't work out. I got the 2 x 256mb chips yesterday. I installed them and I assume
    they are not working because my computer beeps 3 times and stops. That usually indicates a memory mismatch or defective memory. I installed my 128mb chip back in and it fired up perfect. I tried both chips independently and neither would work. It is a IBM Netvista 2257-32U. I checked the label on the memory you sent me and it certainly looks like the correct stuff but neither chip will fire up. Thanks for all your help and sending my the memory was a VERY nice thing to do.

Re: Strangletooth, please respond

Hmmm, Let me look, but it could be a compatibility issue with the board. Those just came out of a working/retired server, so I'm certain they work...

Let me see what I can find.

Pat

Comment

Also, feel free to email me as well. Just remove the NOSPAM.

Pat

Comment

Thanks Pat. I appreciate it.

Comment

I'll just chime in here. This sounds like what happened to me the other day when I got 1GB of PC2700 333Mhz DDR-RAM for my computer. Earlier I had 256MB PC3200 400Mhz memory. When I had installed the new RAM and removed the old the computer just made long beeps and I was about to blow something up... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, I found on a forum somewhere using google that you had to set the RAM frequency yourself in BIOS. So I installed the old RAM and fired up the computer, went into BIOS and altered the DDR type to 333, then turned off the computer, installed the new RAM once again... and voila: everything worked fine!

Seems like it doesn't detect the RAM type automatically. Maybe you should give it a try! (I assume that it's DDR memory that you're talking about?)

Good luck!
          Anders
          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

this is what i have been doing for a living for 14 years, manufacturing and selling memory modules. i sell 'em by the thousands, maybe i can help. don't ask for technical help, but if you know exactly what your machine requires, i'll score it for ya at the real price. make sure you know if it is an "ecc registered, or ecc non registered" what speed it will have to be,pc100/133, ddr-2100,2700,3200 etc. etc. etc. if i had parts in stock at the moment i would send them for free. i did for bret-slo100, and a couple of others .
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

oh yeh, I'll bet it's an ecc/non ecc thing. I think all I have is ECC reg'd. And we're talking PC133 here, btw.

Thanx Tommy!

Pat

Comment

if the module does not work, take it out, throw it against the wall, and then re-install it and boot up the machine. usually works.

Comment

Is that how you remove the ecc? Always wondered how you got that out of there.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

no that is how you unregister it-lol

Comment

Here are specs directly from the IBM Instructional Manual.
                      Use 3.3 V, synchronous, 168-pin, unbuffered, 133 MHz, nonparity, synchronous
                      dynamic random access memory (SDRAM)
                      v Use 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, or 256 MB DIMMs in any combination
                      v DIMM heights of 38.1 mm (1.5 inches)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        oh yeh, I'll bet it's an ecc/non ecc thing. I think all I have is ECC reg'd. And we're talking PC133 here, btw.

Thanx Tommy!

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

When you said it came out of a server, that was the first thing that I wondered.

But then, the second thing I wondered involved the green alien chick Captain Kirk hooked up with, so you know that everthing that comes to my mind is suspect...
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

jg,
                          you need a "x64" non parity module. servers usualyy take "x72" modules which are parity. pm me i might have something lying around that you can have for free.

Comment

Working...
                          X