Miss me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss me?

> For most of the last 6 weeks,I've been taking a much needed vacation from work and machine shop school,and making the rounds again playing in pro-level pool tournaments. I'm only out around 100 bucks for the 6 weeks,including motel,gas,food,entry fees and gambling games,so I've done about as well as I could have expected having not played more than 2 days in a row for over a year. I still go thru withdrawal type fits though,knowing that at one time I was playing close to 60 hours a week,and a threat to beat any living human in a tournament format..and I miss it desparately. Back when I was still developing my game,my goal was to earn a spot as a Touring Pro on the now-defunct Camel Pro Billiard Series. My rug got jerked out from under me after qualifying to play on the tour full time,because RJ Reynolds canceled their sponsorship of the Pro Billiards Tour,after I had played in just 2 events. The PBT then bounced 300k worth of prize fund checks,and went bankrupt. The tour commissioner sued RJ Reynolds for breach of contract and another charge,won 855k,and vanished. Most of us have not been paid yet. I have found it's much easier to make a living working a normal job,than it is to have to bang heads with the best players in the world for a living,especially since only maybe 10 of them make any serious money doing it. The highest paid player in the world only makes about 250k a year at the game,and only then because of a 200k a year endorsement contract to play with their foreign-made mass produced cues. Only 3 more months of school,and I can start looking for a serious machine shop job. Cj Wiley,a well known pool player who now owns 2 upscale rooms in Dallas,was asked once if he would consider returning to active combat in the game. "Well,what would YOU do,I can stay here and run my poolrooms and make 3 million a year,or I can go back to playing for a living and make 20000?" The game has gotten SO competitive the last few years,and the expenses so out of hand I'd have to win 1500 a WEEK to break dead even. Do I miss being around the game? F***in A I do,but I'd rather miss it and have the bills paid,than be knee deep in it and broke. Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Re: Miss me?

What about teaching pool? Any money in that?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Instruction videos, clinics, etc...?
      www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Sounds worse than music.

Comment

> There CAN be money made teaching,but to be certified at it,there is a program you have to go through that is run by the Billiard Congress of America,which costs about 1500,just for the basic instructor course. The Master level course is closer to 10000,considering travel. You have to have a minimum of 6 full time students (with references)to maintain your basic level,18-24 for Master level. The BCA tends to NOT like people teaching out of their house or poolroom without their stamp of approval,and I've heard stories about them shutting people down over it. Another problem here is finding people willing to spend time learning the basic stuff,everyone wants to start out breaking the balls like a gorilla and running out,like a guitar player that can't tune up yet but wants to learn Metallica. Eventually,I will start my own custom cue shop using CNC technology for my inlay patterns. How does San Dimas Custom Cues sound? Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

I got a great idea for you: Infomercial

I get 10%
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What's up, Tommy? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought you were an actor?

Comment

You could always become a pool hustler... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Does anybody actually still do that? I imagine it could be a very dangerous line of work if you were found out.

Comment

Yea, you could get Muson'd! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

> Unfortunately,the royalties from my appearance in "Booty Call" are not coming in like they used to,and yes,pure "hustling" is a very dangerous and outright GUTLESS thing to do. If you are truly the superior player in a particular game,you are going to be the one doing all the playing anyway,so why act drunk or whatever or get your fools to raise the bet? Tommy D.

Comment

Working...
                      X