Thinking of going all digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of going all digital

With my music... Rip all my CD's get a wireless system for my house and get iPods for my wife and I. Take down all the racks and store the originals in the attic. Anyone else do this? With teh 40GB and 60 GB units out there and cheap wireless transmitters in the house I have a hard time justfying the Clutter. On top of it my component CD player just died. Just wondering what anyone else has done regarding this and if they were happy going all digital
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Thinking of going all digital

Yes! And I love it. Right now I'm carting 4182 songs in my iPod. That number goes up at xmas time. I ripped all my cds to the harddrive and have a wireless hookup to the stereo. No more cd's stored in the family room, no more switching out cd's all night when company comes over. Just set up a decent playlist with several hours of music and let it rip. Couldn't be happier with it after all was done. Did take awhile to ripp all the cd's though. Not bad if you're not in a hurry, just get a few done each night. A couple in the morning before heading to work, etc.

My kids have definitely gotten into music more because of this. Both my 6 and 3 year olds have their own "mixes". Funny stuff, my boys rock! (They call metal "Tough Music") [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

as soon as i can get an ipod, i'll be doing that, myself. there's really no reason to lug around CDs in the car, etc. i do have about 80% of my CD collection stored on my mac in itunes.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully - I didn't know you had a mac. I just got mine at the end of the year. Waited too long, shoulda converted years ago. The Airtunes modules are the coolest. Sometimes I'll unplug mine from the stereo and take it out the the garage to play through the radio out there.

In case anyone else is interested, the Apple wireless airtunes unit works with PCs too. A friend of mine hooked his up to a pc using a D-link wireless (it's standard 802.11).

Dave

Comment

I have a good portion of my CD's on my hard drive. I have too many CD's to fit them all on here, and a lot of them are really obscure, so my player doesn't recognize them and I don't feel like going through and entering in track titles for demos that people handed me two years ago. Also you lose some quality going from CD to mp3, but the convenience is awesome. I set up hours worth of playlists with everything from Bolt Thrower to the Grass Roots on it and just go about my business. One minute I'm listening to Fantomas, then Bowie, then some classical stuff, then some Liturgy...

Comment

just make sure you encode at very high bit rates or cymbals are going to sound like shit. I will never go all digital in my home. I believe in the clarity of cd's and/or records. You can get a couple 400 disc changers and a product from Escient that will organize all of them and present you with a nice interface. I do think digital is the way to go for commuting, whether it is on the subway or in your car, but I want my shit at home to sound good. I do not think my ipod hooked up to my stereo system sounds good.

Comment

the Apple lossless conversion is supposed to be pretty good... I have a 200 Gig backup drive so that shold hold all my music my masters though will be in storage..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Sully - I didn't know you had a mac. I just got mine at the end of the year. Waited too long, shoulda converted years ago. The Airtunes modules are the coolest. Sometimes I'll unplug mine from the stereo and take it out the the garage to play through the radio out there.

In case anyone else is interested, the Apple wireless airtunes unit works with PCs too. A friend of mine hooked his up to a pc using a D-link wireless (it's standard 802.11).

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I keep on wanting to go back to MAC but I just haven't.. I have been a user of both systems and when I was in graphic design I was running mac but I could never kick teh PC to the curb... Cost issues PC's are so freaking cost effective and if you buy high end motherboards I find no problem with stability...

Comment

yeah dave, i got a mac from a friend of mine in october. i'll NEVER own a pc again. ugh. as far as cost issues, go, tets, i hear ya. but i bought my g4 for $500. it's not the newest thing ever, but i put a superdrive in it, and i am not at a need for anything more at this time. i mean, sure, i'd love a g5, but that's okay. you could get a mac mini which start at $499 and upgrade the ram (it's 256mb) cant go wrong, imo.

but anyway, yeah. digital is good.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You running OS X on your 4?

Comment

yep. it's a dual 500mhz g4 with a superdrive and 1 gig of ram.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I am waiting to get a mini until after Tiger comes out, if I have any money by that time, which I seriously doubt I will.

Comment

I have all of my music (some ~200 GB of mp3 encoded between 192 and 320kbps) stored on my PC, which has a digital coaxial connection to my stereo system. The PC doesn't do anything but store and play music, it doesn't even have a monitor connected to it. I control the PC from my G4 12" iBook using the Windows Remote Desktop Client over my wireless network. Since the PC runs iTunes, I can also stream music to the iBook when I want to play it in another area of the house or on my headphones. It works really well, and I really wouldn't want to do it any other way.

Another thing I've been doing recently is listening to internet radio stations since the PC is connected to the stereo system. The quality of the stream isn't that great, but the music is so much better than anything on conventional or satellite radio stations that it's worth doing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Thinking of going all digital

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
                            With my music... Rip all my CD's get a wireless system for my house and get iPods for my wife and I. Take down all the racks and store the originals in the attic. Anyone else do this? With teh 40GB and 60 GB units out there and cheap wireless transmitters in the house I have a hard time justfying the Clutter. On top of it my component CD player just died. Just wondering what anyone else has done regarding this and if they were happy going all digital

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Dude, CDs are digital.

I will probably never buy an ipod, or any MP3 player. I never listen to any of my music outside my house, even if I bring something with me, so what's the point? At school, I concentrate on school work. At work, I work. And when I'm driving, I keep all my attention on that. It's much safer.

I am, however, copying all my rare, hard to find stuff to CD-Rs. That way I can listen to them without slowly wearing out my legal copies.

Comment

You really don't listen to music while driving? No radio I actually listen to a lot of talk radio. Seeing as most of us post while at work we do not have the dedication you do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then again I run my own company so it is alright the boss don't care

Comment

Working...
                              X