Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 years of good, solid, metal education.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5 years of good, solid, metal education.....

That is cool. Wait till my wife sees what I start teaching the boy!
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Nice pics bro.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

ROCK ON!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I remember getting a "toy" (but still functional) electric guitar and amp for my birthday, I forget what year, but between 1 and 5 because I remember which house I got it at. I remember I would put all the tuners facing the same direction, for whatever reason. Bought a copy of Zep IV on cassette with my allowance in kindergarten. Been rocking ever since, I'm a junior in HS now. Both of my parents were AOR DJs back in the day, I guess it's in the blood. Meanwhile, my friend who never really listened to music "discovered" rock/metal with my help a month ago, and now can't egt enough Iced Earth and Maiden. There's plenty of routes to get there, but you're defintiely doing the right thing starting 'em young.

Comment

You're a great daddy for sure!I'll follow your steps one day! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome! You're one hell of a cool dad!
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Tom...those pics are awesome!....so damn cute!

I remember trying to get my daughter to play, and bought her a little beginner acoustic when she was 5....didn't take it it, but took to the drums instead. Go figure! Anyway...she dropped interest in the drums for a while (wasn't into much metal yet) now at 15, she's back into the drums, and listening to as much metal as she can get her paws on. Her biggest (drum) influence is Danny Carey from TOOL, and a damn good influence to have IMO!
                Now there's my new son Trev....maybe I can make a guitarist outta him yet!

Rock on Courtney! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool pictures!

Kinda off topic but how do you guys get your kids to play? Mine show interest then never want to actually learn anything. They had a guitar I built from ebay parts for a couple years, their hands really just got big enough though. This year for Christmas I got both my sons Ibanez starter packs from Mattsmusic.com, they just like to plug in and make noise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't pressure them, I have given them several lessons and they just don't seem to want to put in the practice time. They say they want to learn but really show no drive to practice. I figure I'll just let them come to me when they are ready I suppose.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

That's too cool tmdiamond! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I wonder what will happen in her teenage years... keep us updated!

Shawn have you tried to get them interested by bringing them to shows/ showing them videos and stuff?

Kids, depending on the age of course, are influenced much more by other kids. They might be more interested in the linkin park kind of stuff... And that's perfectly ok, they'll grow out of it soon enough. I suggest showing them how to play their favorite songs... even if the songs are crap. I think you have to be careful not to put off your kids' interest by forcing your taste on them.

2 cents from a 20 yearold. I know nothing.. just some ideas.

Comment

I just got to get her off the Hilary Duff kick and all will be ok. She tells me that she wants to be the kind of rock star that writes her own music instead of creating some over produced version of somebody else's song.

The best thing is that she "feels" music like no other kid I know. I was playing DT's Scenes From a Memory one day and the song with the black lady singing at the beginning came on....Petrucci is wailin' this melodic, melancholy lead section and Court starts crying. Asked her what was wrong and she told me that the music was sad sounding...That was good enough for me. Told me all I needed to know.

Comment

Vinny smokes on his drums...he's 10 now.

I bought him a mickey mouse kit when he was 5 and he took to it like a fish to water....he bent the kick pedal to that mickey mouse set all to hell....because he was using both feet on the same pedal...so he could double kick some blast beats...and he even did that well on that piece of crap!

Vinny is the shit man...he's good lookin' , Italian , Popular , has earned high honors in school...he's talented as hell...wayyyyyyy beyond me at his age....I'm so proud of him.

I done very well I guess...

and it hasn't been hard work at all...he's a great kid. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He makes me feel like a TRUE success!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

cool to hear that Bill, maybe he is the next Tony Royster jr.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

No dude...his hero is Nichloas Barker (Dimmu Borgir , Cradle of Filth , Old mans child)

and Gene Hoglan...especially his work in SYL!!!!

that is his favorite!!!

I met Nick and hung out with him...and he gave me a bunch of stuff to give to Vinny...he was very very nice!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X