Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another baseball thread... but a serious one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: another baseball thread... but a serious one!

[ QUOTE ]
    I also don't think it fair to compare players of different eras either; the game was different back then than it is now

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right. AS time progresses, things become better (or worse). Coaching, construction of the bat, construction of the ball, grass/turf.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Those are things players can control, like running around a base, pushing on ARod while your still wearing your mask [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

and bitchslapping a ball out of a player's glove.

[ QUOTE ]
      As for bat speed, normally your looking for pitch. So if you're sitting on a change-up and the pitcher throws you a fastball, it ain't gonna make a bit of difference. You're still gonna screw yourself in the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of agree. if steroids buys you extra time b/c of your bat speed is higher, you could be able to make lemonade out of a lemon a little bit better than someone who's not on juice.

[ QUOTE ]
      As much as I don't like steroids, and those caught doing it, knowing it's illegal, I don't see how it gives an advantage in the hits/homeruns department. Like I was saying before, people like Sammy, Mark, Brady Anderson [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], can hit the ball 400-450 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, they can hit the ball that far... but what if they've been hitting the ball that far b/c of steroids? what if they normally are 300ft hitters? if you are stronger, you will hit the ball farther. it's really that simple.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i'd say it just a little bit different-lol,
        in the offseason, half the players were farmers or worked some other jobs just to live that year. my dad was born in 1913, he saw all the greats and told me thousands of stories. not to mention season tickets for the yanks for 14 years. from '75 when they played at the pig pen (shea stadium) while yankee stadium was being rebuilt through'89.
        some great years, and even more horrific ones . the only thing i did not like about the 80's was that we sucked
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

you know what cracks me up the most?
          there are some scientists and idiots out there that say there is no such thing as a curve ball [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          it's just an optical illusion according to them.
          i'd like to see them get in the box (batters that is) and try and tell me or hit a curve ball from barry zito.
          morons!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            yeah, they can hit the ball that far... but what if they've been hitting the ball that far b/c of steroids? what if they normally are 300ft hitters? if you are stronger, you will hit the ball farther. it's really that simple

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully, I couldn't resist throwing the Varitek dig in there. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I knew you or Solo would catch it.

As for the quote, I was using those players for example. But there are players that can hit that far, Mantle, Ruth, Greenberg and countless other players who can consistently hit it 400+, so why can't a player now, who has that capability to hit it that far, get credit for putting it over the fence on there own. It's really all luck anyway, with a couple of other factors thrown in there, like, confidence. You've seen a player in a slump and you've seen a player, who no matter what you throw at him, he can pick it up like a beach ball and hammer it for 8-9 games.

I just think too much emphasis of a players ability is being placed on steroids.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              the only thing i did not like about the 80's was that we sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

We were awful. Man the 80's sucked. I did like Bye Bye Balboni though. I even traveled to Boston (first time at Fenway) to watch him hit it over the Green Monster, but instead of Balboni, it was some 4'10 80lb SS, forgot his name, I think it was something like Alicea Rivera (little help Sully), that hit it over the wall. Yanks lost, as they did most of their games in the 80's. I guess it made the 90's dynasty that much sweeter though. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                some scientists and idiots out there that say there is no such thing as a curve ball
                it's just an optical illusion according to them

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know Tommy, remember when everyone said the world was flat [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

the world is flat, the new pointy charvel necks have that nice profile again-lol

Comment

Myself having been around steriods man they help and they will help you hit farther.. Not that all guys who hit far needed gear to do it. Tommy nailed it too a lot of these guys were just big farmboys back in the day too.. For instance though with Sosa you can see where his power went up. His eye didn't get better but he had an extra gear at the plate that has allowed him to get more pop on his bat. also the confidence factor goes hand in hand you can swing for the fences because you believe that you are stronger.

I think Steriods effect pitching more though and that subject is rarely touched.
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                    X