Angel of Retribution: new Judas Priest out today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angel of Retribution: new Judas Priest out to

not a fan of the first single "revolution"...not a lot of melody. they should have made "judas rising" the first single. on the mellower side, i like the song "angel" a lot. great acoustic piece with killer vocals.

Comment

I think the album is pretty decent--not their best, but highly listenable. My primary complaint about the album is that some parts are a little too 'retro'--I would have preferred more Painkiller and less British Steel, if you get my drift.

Comment

I really like the album--no, it's not their finest--it is light years beyond the crap they released with Ripper.

Halford is the man and it is good to see him back where he belongs.
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I really like the album--no, it's not their finest--it is light years beyond the crap they released with Ripper.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Jugulator kicked ass!!! Demolition was kinda crappy. Nothing will ever beat Painkiller, though. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, that CD was a major dissapointment for me.

Halford and Travis shine brightly, the rest of the band is dated and lame. The guitar tone is often lame and sounds like what they did in the 70s and the hundred patched in mini solos are pathetic for a band of that stature. The lyrics aren't anything amazing either, but at least Typton has admitted publicly that he sucks at writing lyrics. I believe he wrote on this one as well.

I have it from a solid insider that Halford went bankrupt and then quickly signed with Priest for the CD and tour within a week or so. Most of his classic car collection has been sold of in Arizona in the last year as well. He alledgedly left a lot of people from the upcoming tour (musicians and crew) screwed when he went bankrupt as well. I'm surprised Roy Z still worked with him considering what I have heard. I hope they were wrong, but I sorta doubt it.

Sad that he went bankrupt doing something that was SO MUCH better than Priest... Very sad stuff. Hard to make a buck in this Biz nowdays.

Comment

I'd buy it, but I just blew all my money on technorecords and vinyls.

I'm turning into a friggin' Marty Friedman.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I just picked it up yesterday and have listened to it once so far. I like it. Initial impression is good, not great or a classic. But it's worth getting. If Revolution is the only song you've heard - don't judge it by that! I was standing in Best Buy, holding it, debating to buy it based on Revolution, but luckily I had read (maybe on here somewhere) not to base it one that song. I'm glad I didn't, the rest of the album is much better than that song (don't know why it's the single).

I'm with you toejam, Painkiller is the best! But this album is good and the CD/DVD dual-disk thing is cool.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I never got into Priest when I was a kid. I didn't know what the leather business was all about, but it just kinda creeped me out. So when Rob finally came out, I wasn't surprised.

Anyway, I only have two Priest albums — Sad Wings of Destiny (bought it for the cover art and liked the music okay, but not enough to get into their other stuff) and Painkiller. I remember listening to Painkiller once or twice back when, and not liking it. But with all the glowing mentions of it on this thread, I decided to give it another spin. Kinda cheezy in places (especially the lyrics and vocals), but I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit! You guys trying to turn me gay or something?? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I got it and like it.

Most of the songs are good. Revolution is pure lameness and should not be on the record.

The production is good except for the guitar solo tones. They're either too muddy, buried, or overprocessed. The solos themselves are very very weak. They're not memorable whatsoever. I expected more from Tipton and Downing.

The lyrics...mostly lame, but then again, what band actually does have great lyrics these days? Most lyrics by most bands are bad attempts at poetry relying too heavily on metaphors and cliches.

To me this record sounds like a cross between the last 2 Halford records with a bit of Panikiller. It's a mostly dark sounding record but it's not brutal like Crucible.

Comment

It seems now that Rob to Preist is waht Bruce was to maiden

they both are %50 of the band..and are both better on their own

BTW...I hear that Bruce's solo will be out soon...Roy Z is da man!!

The new preist record is good...It will take a few listens to start to absorb. Rob is the strongest part of the package IMO..

I was hoping for more of a Painkiller part II to be honest...but instead there is a lot of British Steel vibe...and even a Ram it down vibe at times..

but songs like Demonizer is definitely a throwback to painkiller and Rob's solostuff..

If you are a JP fan...yes should buy this..it is worth it.

But I sure like Resurection and Crucible much better to be honest

I knew this was going to happen..

I hope Rob will continue doing his own thing with Z...but now I doubt it.

and speaking of cover art...Sad wings of destiny is my favorite album cover in the world for the most obvious of reasons.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        sounded just like Jane's Addiction's Mountain Song!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, where were you when Sully posted a topic with both the Jane's song and the Priest song together for us to compare? For someone with no life and over 10,000 posts... tsk tsk tsk... [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't sleep tonight for fear of Nessie coming in and stealing my panties....
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Got AoR yesterday, gave it a first spin tonight. Yeah, it's overall pretty much a throwback sound. Like I said, I'm no hardcore JP fan. But speaking as a casual listener, this was pretty much what I expected a JP record to sound like. No real surprises.

But new Bruce Dickinson solo? Damn, I can't wait...! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              sounded just like Jane's Addiction's Mountain Song!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, where were you when Sully posted a topic with both the Jane's song and the Priest song together for us to compare? For someone with no life and over 10,000 posts... tsk tsk tsk... [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yeah, I did read that post, but I didn't listen to the new JP song at the time. The other night was the first time I saw the video/heard the song and then I realized what Sully was talking about. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] Tesla's Hang Tough has the beginning bass line that sounds just like Mountain Song, too.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                But new Bruce Dickinson solo? Damn, I can't wait...!

[/ QUOTE ]
                                I'm with you on that!! Chemical Wedding was/is one of my all time faves. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X