X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the WHA??

NHL plans new talks as fledgling rival emerges

March 16, 2005
    TORONTO, Canada (AFP) - National Hockey League officials, hoping to kickstart a comeback from oblivion by with some help from star prospect Sidney Crosby, will reportedly meet Thursday with union bosses.

The second negotiating session in a week following last Friday's talks is the first since backers of the fledgling World Hockey Association announced plans for a tournament May 20 to June 2 in Hamilton and Vancover, Canada.

Two sets of NHL players would be paid 20,000 dollars with a two million-dollar prize at stake for the winners under the plan, backed by NHL veteran Jeremy Roenick, with an eye to launching a 10-team league in October.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman shut down the league last month, making the NHL the first major North American sport league to wipe out an entire season in a labor feud.

Sides could not decide how to divide profits from a 2.1 billion-dollar industry but the league would like to make a deal before the planned NHL Draft, scheduled for June 25-26 in Ottawa.

Junior superstar Crosby, 17, is a near-lock to be the first player taken, having been compared to legend Wayne Gretzky by no less an authority than "The Great One" himself.

But without a draft, Crosby could play where he likes. That includes Europe, where more than half of the 700 NHL players went for the lost season, or maybe the WHA if it proves to have solid financial footing.

Crosby, who signed a five-year multi-million-dollar endorsement deal this week, said he would consider a WHA offer if the NHL remains at odds with the union, seemingly unwilling to become a replacement player if NHL owners take that route.
    Occupy JCF

Re: Return of the WHA??

Wow!! Hockey,any Hockey would be most welcome!! I can't take the thought of another long Summer & then more ridiculous contract bs!!

Let's hope this is good news Tekk!!

I got my B's shirt on bro!!

Comment

LOL!! Is Lucy screaming at you to at least put on a different shirt for an hour so she can wash it?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Crosby is hot sh!t on the ice, but I don't know how well his acne will go over in negotiations. lol. The kid really is something special, he plays our local junior team every few months and he's always a few strides ahead of everyone else. His puck handling skills are incredible and he's so damn fast.

I miss hockey.
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

He isn't scared of teh contact like ole Wayne though
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            He isn't scared of teh contact like ole Wayne though

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not going to start that debate over again are we??
            Occupy JCF

Comment

it will be sad if they have no CBA in place by the draft in June and lose Crosby to Europe. That kid is one helluva player and the NHL could use all the positives it can after this BS this year.

Hell they are so hard up for hockey news in Detroit they had a story about am Amish family playing pond hockey...for the love of the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm trying to get financial backing for the new AHL, Amish Hockey League..currently building horse drawn black buggies for team buses.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Hell they are so hard up for hockey news in Detroit they had a story about am Amish family playing pond hockey...for the love of the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm trying to get financial backing for the new AHL, Amish Hockey League..currently building horse drawn black buggies for team buses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go to games just to see the horse-drawn Zamboni... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have to think that NHL players probably would be contractually barred from playing for another North American league during the term of their contracts--even if they are locked out of the NHL or the league is using replacement players.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    LOL!! Is Lucy screaming at you to at least put on a different shirt for an hour so she can wash it?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No bro,I have enough of them for all week!!LOL!!

Shawn that is f'n hysterical!!LMFAO!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Maybe I'm wrong, but I have to think that NHL players probably would be contractually barred from playing for another North American league during the term of their contracts--even if they are locked out of the NHL or the league is using replacement players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some have already signed up for AHL, CHL, or ECHL teams. I believe Chelios and Hatcher are on the same farm team in Detroit.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

True, but those are farm leagues, not competitors to the NHL. Obviously, I don't know the fine print in an NHL contract, so maybe I should just stop talking out of my ass about this... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Not competitors? I'm not sure about anywhere else, but the Chicago Wolves are almost as big as the Blackhawks. That may be partially due to the fact that Bill Wirtz is running the Blackhawks into the ground.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

If the Boston Bruins aren't involved I'm not watching.

What the WHA and the NHLPA fail to recognize is that NHL fans have an emotional attachment to the teams not the players

How many times has a player you hated been traded to you're favorite team and you instantly like him.I've cheered for the same team for over 30 years and I'm not about to stop

Go bruins Go

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              How many times has a player you hated been traded to you're favorite team and you instantly like him.I've cheered for the same team for over 30 years and I'm not about to stop

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Chelios now!
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X