Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recreational reading or TËKKŸ's book club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreational reading or TËKKŸ's book club.

I spend a lot of time on busses or trains so instead of listening to music, I bring a book with me. During lunch, if I go somewhere alone, I'll bring a book with me. Even on Monday Nights when I have a burger and a few pints at The Dark Horse here in Chicago, I've got a book with me.

I revolve around a few subjects. I've admitted several times that I'm a Star Wars geek, so obviously read a lot of Star Wars books. But besides that, I'm also big on mob lore. I recently just finished reading The Godfather Returns by Mark Winegardner.

So, I'm curious, how many of you read for recreation?? What do you read? How often do you read?
    Occupy JCF

Re: Recreational reading or TËKKŸ\'s book club.

Good subject [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

At one time I would really get into an author and pretty much burn out on him. At one time I was really into Tom Clancy, then John Grisham. Back in the early 90's I was into Star Trek NG novels [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've read Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation" which was super. I also enjoyed "Lost Moon" by Jim Lovell. At the time I read this I was taking Calculus in college and I was really into the whole physics of traveling to the moon. Pretty nerdy huh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nowadays, I'm usually into a book or study on Christianity or raising kids. I just finished a super book by Robert Lewis call "Raising a Modern Day Night". If any of you have sons, you need to read this book.

Comment

I too get into certain authors. One of my favorites is Jean Shepherd. He is the writer and narrator in the movie "A Christmas Story". He grew up in Northwest Indiana where I'm originally from. I've read all of his books. Another author that I've recently gotten into is Dan Brown. Once I read "Angels and Demons", I was hooked. I've also read "Digital Fortress" and "Deception Point". Actually now I'm currently reading an illustrated version of "The DaVinci Code".
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Back in time Pre Wife and daughter , when I actually had time to read a book (not work related) I really got into
        Dean Koontz and John Saul.
        I used to love the freaky supernatural/psycho/horror genre
        tye books.
        Now it's all ABC's and colors and the itsy bitsy spider etc........ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I read a lot of science fiction. The last thing that blew me away was the Tad Williams Otherland series. If I have to sum up in three words (not really possible with these mamoth volumes), I'd call it African flavored cyberpunk. Even though the books are very long, they never bored me.
          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Tekky calls what I read Chick Lit, but it has lots of sex, violence, and the supernatural. The writer is Laurell K Hamilton. But I do like the Sci-Fi stuff too. And will be working on the Dan Brown stuff as soon as I remember to snag Todd's copies!

Comment

I have a degree in English and Journalism so yes I read a whole f-ing lot. My favorite authors are Ayn Rand (I collect everything she writes and anything related to her work), Terry Prattchet, Douglas Adams and Robert Heinlein.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

2 words- Kurt Vonnegut
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I read a lot of books. Heinlein is one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed the Otherland series mentioned above. Some other books I've recently read which I really liked are: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco and Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safren Foer (not sure on the spelling).
                  Oh yeah, I just finished reading LEMMY's autobiography. That is a fun quick read.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    2 words- Kurt Vonnegut

[/ QUOTE ]
                    What do you think of Vonnegut's later stuff? I haven't read much by him written in the last 10-15 years that I really enjoyed.

Comment

I have to say Dean Koontz is my all time favorite. I really enjoy King, Grisham,Clancy and lately Clive Cussler. Cussler's books don't really challenge the reader in anyway. They are an easy read which is nice after dealing with the triplets all day long.

Comment

like tekky, ive read almost all of the Star Wars books..

America : The book is great.

and im a big fan of tom clancy.

Comment

thurston,
                          i am referring to his older stuff like welcome to the monkey house and ice nine, etc. etc. i have not read any new stuff either.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I was into Dale Brown in the past. Still read Tolkien's books over and over andbooks about Tolkien's books

Comment

I love Sci-fi, history, espionage mysteries and such. Sci-fi authors include Heinlein, Asimov, Niven, Pournelle, David rin and Orson Scott Card among others. History and historical novels by pretty much anyone, the subject matters more than the author there. Sharon Kay enman stands out in that genre though. Mysteries by Clancy and Ludlum are great. I've been on a biography kick lately and have read Marcus Aurelius, Charles II, Edward II, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and U.S. Grant.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X