Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recreational reading or TËKKŸ's book club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recreational reading or TËKKŸ\'s book club.

Another thing. For some reaason my extended family thinks it's cool to give my Stephen King books as gifts cuz "He likes that weird stuff." No offence but I can't stand King's work and don't read horror!

Oh, I forgot to mention a couple of my favorite authors in my first posting so I'll just do the whole list here:

Ayn Rand, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Robert Heinlein, Mickey Spillane, Victor Hugo
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Basically anything with vampires in it i'll read it. Michael Romkey is excellent. Mrs. Tekky, Laurell is GREAT!!
      i just finished Cerulean Sins. Most excellent. Others i like are real life stuff. There is this guy who has travelled all over the world mostly on foot. He has written several books about his travels. Peter Jenkins is his name. I got the drive to go and hike 1000 miles of the Appalachian Trail with my Lab Sam after reading Walk Across America...
      Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

I've read "The Westies", it's a good read. I'll definitely look into the other suggestions but with it being so close to the release of Episode III, I'm anticipating that book coming out in April. (the Wal-Mart by Kristi is having some sort of Star Wars event on April 2nd and 3rd - I think that's because of the book)

L - The comic book store you're talking about is "Chicago Comics" it's a pretty cool place, and it's only a couple doors down from Chicago Music Exchange. (the Fender fanatic's wet dream)
        Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I used to read voraciously....King, Koontz, Rice, Harris, Ludlum, etc. Nowadays I'm more into the local newspaper, but Todd it seems we have common interests. Recently I've read Boss of Bosses, Angels and Demons, and Leo Gorcey Jr's autobio Me And The Dead End Kid (I'm a friend of Leo's).

Currently I'm reading The Dirt (Motley Crue). It's hella hard to put down!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get TommyLand after the Dirt
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I tend to get into one author at a time & try to read all of their stuff. I get addicted & I usually read in bed before I fall asleep, which can suck big time on weeknights, because I'll stay up all night if it's really good. Some of the authors I've really enjoyed:

Harry Crews
            Jim Thompson
            Faulkner
            John Dos Passos
            G.K. Chesterton (The Man Who Was Thursday, classic [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img])
            William Gibson
            Hemingway
            Tom Wolfe
            Hunter S. Thompson
            Nick Cave (And the Ass Saw the Angel [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img])
            Philip K. Dick
            Paul Auster
            Patrick O'Brian
            Joseph Heller
            Henry Miller
            Elmore Leonard
            David Sedaris

*Note to self: check out some female authors sometime, dumbass! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh... Just want to mention this to all the other fellow Star Wars geeks...

The book for Revenge of the Sith will be released April 2nd.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

I´m surprised no one have mentioned Chuck Palahniuk yet, the author of Fight Club, later a film by David Fincher. His books are amazing with Survivor at the very top.
                I also love "Glamorama" by Brett Easton Ellis and the mighty "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

And not to step on anyone, but Dan Brown... I have read his DaVinci book, and even if it´s both interesting and kind of exciting, he writes pretty dull. Very cliche and standard. It gave me a shock after a few pages, because I´m used to read litterature, not comics. Read the three books I mentioned first and you´ll see the difference.

Good thread BTW.

Comment

I felt a similar reaction to Dan Brown's books. I bought Da Vinci Code after hearing the big wraps it was getting. I thought it was quite clever, there were some cool twists & it was a fun ride, but I couldn't escape the feeling that I'd been here before. It kind of felt like back in school when my dad introduced me to Alistair Maclean, Desmond Bagley & Robert Ludlum. These guys were my introduction to "grown up" books. But as you read more and expand your range, discover exciting new novelists (or old greats), Maclean, Bagley, et al. don't seem as sophisticated as they first appeared to me as a youngster. I'm glad I started with those guys - the adventures in those books really got me into reading. The hunger for further adventure lead me check out many great authors, at a time when my peers thought reading for your own pleasure was uncool. So I'll stop short of looking down my nose & calling those type of novels "comics". They may not be high art or great literature, but if they get people reading (and it's amazing how many Dan Brown books I see on the train every day), then great. More people could stand to exercise their grey matter & bury their nose in a book every day.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I used to read all the time, and went through about 1 book a week. Not so much anymore, but I did read The Face by Dean Koontz last week. It's pretty good, and better than his older stuff. I've probably read 20 or so of his, and this is one of the best. I have read a ton of Stephen King, Terry Brooks, and Isaac Asimov. I like fantasy, crime, science fiction, and I've also read a handful of those non-fiction books on serial killers. Henry Lee Lucas, Edward Gein, Richard Ramirez - the Nightstalker, Jeffrey Dahmer, and a few others.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I felt a similar reaction to Dan Brown's books. I bought Da Vinci Code after hearing the big wraps it was getting. I thought it was quite clever, there were some cool twists & it was a fun ride, but I couldn't escape the feeling that I'd been here before. It kind of felt like back in school when my dad introduced me to Alistair Maclean, Desmond Bagley & Robert Ludlum. These guys were my introduction to "grown up" books. But as you read more and expand your range, discover exciting new novelists (or old greats), Maclean, Bagley, et al. don't seem as sophisticated as they first appeared to me as a youngster. I'm glad I started with those guys - the adventures in those books really got me into reading. The hunger for further adventure lead me check out many great authors, at a time when my peers thought reading for your own pleasure was uncool. So I'll stop short of looking down my nose & calling those type of novels "comics". They may not be high art or great literature, but if they get people reading (and it's amazing how many Dan Brown books I see on the train every day), then great. More people could stand to exercise their grey matter & bury their nose in a book every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could write english as good as I can read it, this is what I´d written. Several years ago I read all Alistar MacLean´s books, and I was thrilled by his knowledge shown in his books. I know I couldn´t read the books I read now at that point so I´m happy that I started out reading after all.
                      BTW, the comic coment was mainly because of lack of a better word..

Please enjoy your reading whatsoever folks, it´s stimulating, makes you more creative and expand your language.

Comment

The thing I like about Dan Brown's books are the twists. Just when you think you've got everything figured out, the throws a total curve at you and you're re-thinking everything.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Haven't been reading near as much as I used to, but just started Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Great book, after not reading the way I used to for awhile this one does good in keeping my attention.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Stephen King, and Patricia Cornwell are 2 of my favorites. Also like Sidney Sheldon, true crime, and musician related bios/stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife reads Patricia Cornwell stuff. What are you a girl or something? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I used to read all the time, and went through about 1 book a week. Not so much anymore, but I did read The Face by Dean Koontz last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zeeg, I think Koontz's only rel masterpiece has been Intensity. He has had some good books but that one really stands out. Of his newer ones The Taking is his best effort. Odd Thomas was ok, Life Expectancy was similar to several of his older books. However Koontz is still one of my favorite authors.

After reading this thread I picked the illistrated version of the DaVinci Code. I hope to knee deep in it after I put the guys down tonight.

Comment

Kristi got me the illustrated version of the DaVinci Code, the thing is like a textbook. I started it Friday and I'm already 150 pages in. It's pretty good so far.
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X