Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recreational reading or TËKKŸ's book club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recreational reading or TËKKŸ\'s book club.

Tekky looking through it, it appears as though I may learn a little something about art.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Occupy JCF

Comment

I am currently re-re-re-reading "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Great stuff, he wrote about "The Matrix" when Keanu was still in short pants! Check out his books - they rock! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I´m surprised no one have mentioned Chuck Palahniuk yet, the author of Fight Club, later a film by David Fincher. His books are amazing with Survivor at the very top.
          I also love "Glamorama" by Brett Easton Ellis and the mighty "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

And not to step on anyone, but Dan Brown... I have read his DaVinci book, and even if it´s both interesting and kind of exciting, he writes pretty dull. Very cliche and standard. It gave me a shock after a few pages, because I´m used to read litterature, not comics. Read the three books I mentioned first and you´ll see the difference.

Good thread BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read all of Chuck's books and while they are pretty clever and good they are bubblegum but I can't stop reading him. Read stranger than fiction and you will see where he gets all his stories.. Good quick reads Survivor is a good satire he has such excellent ideas and great satire but parts of his books just don't mesh well Lullaby being a prime example to me... Still very good reads for the time you invest in it

Dan Brown he really is an alright writer but I don't get the love for him. Both Angels and Davinci were pretty much directly stolen from Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum except Emberto actually did research for his books that was accurate. I highly reccomend Focaults Pendulum though.. Granted the Davinci Code is written a million times better than The Davinci Legacy you can clearly tell how much he ripped off from that book. Dan Brown's book though makes for an excellent hollywood script which it is.

If you like Good Crime books my Favorite is James Ellroy most famous for LA Confidential. Really an excellent crime writer so brutal though but his books really are a great meshing of fact and fiction for great stories.
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I´m surprised no one have mentioned Chuck Palahniuk yet, the author of Fight Club, later a film by David Fincher. His books are amazing with Survivor at the very top.
            I also love "Glamorama" by Brett Easton Ellis and the mighty "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

And not to step on anyone, but Dan Brown... I have read his DaVinci book, and even if it´s both interesting and kind of exciting, he writes pretty dull. Very cliche and standard. It gave me a shock after a few pages, because I´m used to read litterature, not comics. Read the three books I mentioned first and you´ll see the difference.

Good thread BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

House Of Leaves is amazing! I have two versions of that one, the regular one and a larger format one with fold out cover art. Great book indeed.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I am way interested in house of leaves now

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I am way interested in house of leaves now

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, guess where my sig line is from.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

HP Lovecraft...my fave!

and The Bible...a fun book to read without the Christian Goggles on..

I rarely watch TV...I like reading and listening to music..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill you should check out Ellroy I would be interested on your take on his books

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If you like Good Crime books my Favorite is James Ellroy most famous for LA Confidential. Really an excellent crime writer so brutal though but his books really are a great meshing of fact and fiction for great stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Ellroy. My Dark Places is a great book, his recount of the real-life search for his mother's killer, decades after her death. The Cold Six Thousand was great too
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

If you wanna read a good crime story read anything by Mickey Spillane. He's by far my favorite mystery writer, his work is just so vivid and hard boiled you feel like your in there with the characters.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Just finished The Illustrated DaVinci Code. It was ok. It dragged in a few spots. The Art and the pictures of the Cathedrals were really worth the price of this book. I liked the premis, but his characters never became 3d for me. I would recommend this though.

I have noticed that we have skipped some of the classics. I would recommend Sir Auther Canon Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories to anyone. Classics everyone of them. Also Samuel Clemens Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn good stuff.

Comment

I did mention Mark Twain. I like his stuff.

I also like the odd old Ed McBain detective novel. Life in the 87th Precinct. Good gear. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I'd like to get into the classics. I've got a couple at home. I read The Odyssey by Homer and it took a couple months to get through it. Eventually I'll read The Illiad and some of the other classics that I have at home. (a Barnes and Noble special series)
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

philip k dick....

radio free albemuth
                                valis
                                ubik

get ready to change how you think about the world...

kurt vonnegut:

breakfast of champions

herman hesse:
                                siddartha
                                steppenwolf
                                glass bead game (not for faint of heart)

hesse will change your world too...

Comment

Working...
                                X