Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metal for dummies

All Great bands mentioned of course..

well maybe this dude was an old metalhead that is just outta the loop...that happends.

Usually people that are really into metal already know all the heavy hitters..for the most part..all the mainstays..Preist , Maiden , Sabbath , Slayer , Dio , Ozz..

I would put some Halford's "Crucible" or Dickison's "Chemical" Wedding...stuff like that...really dynamic and top notch in every sense of the word...production , catchy hooks and melodies , polished vocals NOT screech , grunts or howls..

If he hasn't heard of Savatage by now..then we are NOT talking about a metalhead here...more like a person that enjoys "music" as ear candy or background music..the usual kind of humans..zombies. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd start slow..go with the mainstays ..

you can't go wrong with bands that nod to the old school , such as..

Primal Fear , Iced Earth , Brainstorm , Sinergy , Helloween , Gamma Ray , Jag Panzer , Symphorce , Blind Guardian , Nightwish , Symphony X , Kamelot , Dragonforce , Nevermore , Halford ...and a lot of the bands already mentioned.

This kind of stuff is pretty accessible ...to most people ...even to non metalheads..

well alot more than if you threw on some Dying Fetus..then they'll just laugh...or cry.

and stay away from showing them any GWAR videos... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Then rush right into Suffocation..while screaming..HOLD ON!!! j/k..

Comment

You won't even get two seconds of Suffoction on before they are making this face... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

I love that stuff for when I'm stuck in traffic ...with all my fellow Clevelandites...who just can't get enough of that Hippity Hop Parade bullshit!!!.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Let them listen to these bands:
          www.purevolume.com/aresletum
          www.purevolume.com/arianc
          www.purevolume.com/senecanc

Comment

Give 'em a Severed Saviour CD and tell them if they don't like it they're a fuckin' pussy. NO ONE wants to own up to being a pussy!!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Opeth- Bleak
              NEvermore- I, Voyager
              Decapitated - Spheres of Madness
              Death- Lack of Comprehension
              Carcass - Corporal Jigsore Quandary
              Soilwork- Bastard Chain
              In Flames- Jotun
              Nightwish -Wishmaster
              Dream Theater- Glass Prison
              Blind Guardian - Valhalla
              Iron Maiden - Murders in The Rue Morgue
              AT the Gates - World of Lies

Comment

Hey guys,thanks for the great suggestions.These guys are almost 20 and they already listen to '70 rock.They think that metal is too noisy blablabla.I tried to explain them that there are lots of subgenres in metal but one of them is such a dick!Anyway,I think that I'll begin Savatage,Fates Warning,Helloween,Racer X,Sympohny X and so on....just to show them that there can be lots of melody!If this does not work I'm going to give them with a shock therapy!!

Comment

A 19-year-old who's a dick? Nooooooooooo! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I know this is a tangent off topic but......just stick Bachs Brandenburg Concerto #5 in there for kicks. Consider it part of 'music appreciation'.

That harpsichord solo is about as 'metal' as the 1700's were. It flat out rips.

A little history courtesy of fuguemasters.com;

The Brandenburg Concertos were commissioned either formally or informally; it’s not clear which, by Christian Ludwig, the Margrave of Brandenburg. Bach worked on the set from 1718 to 1721. Upon completion he sent them off with the usual obsequious letter of dedication expected of composers to their patrons praising them for their " gracious and condescending interest in the insignificant musical talents" of the composer. There is no record of Bach having ever been paid for the concertos. The condition they were found in suggest that they were dropped off in the Margrave’s music library and never even played. The music library was auctioned off after Christian Ludwig’s death. Bach’s name did not even appear in the catalog of his collection. Lumped in with the works of some 70 other composers and sold as a lot; the 6 Brandenburgs sold for about 10 cents a piece.

Comment

Slayer - Reign In Blood and South Of Heaven. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X