Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comp help needed: Virus or bad Power supply ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comp help needed: Virus or bad Power supply ?

Reformating [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] i have 280 gigs of hardrive so i rather not delete anything.

My Specs:
    AOpen AK77-333 VIA KT333
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8Ghz)
    512MB DDR RAM PC2700
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Western Digital Caviar 80Gb 7200rpm 8Mb (Master)
    Western Digital Caviar 200Gb 7200rpm 8Mb (Slave)

Gonna test another RAM stick later today, hopefully it'll be OK then

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      This could be a vid card overheating problem to a bad hard drive

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually My Vid card fan died a week ago and it was restarting then too, but i got a real good and big fan for it now with an exhaust Looks like this and then the computer stopped restarting and worked fine until friday. I checked, all fans are working and temperatures are good
      CPU 50C / 122F
      board 40C / 104F

Comment

80GB for a system drive? That's a chance I learned not to take years ago [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        If it turns out that you do have to reformat, definitely pick up a 20 GB drive somewhere and use that for nothing but Windows - don't install any programs on it other than Antivirus, and set your email program to store its files on a different hard drive, along with anything else you'd otherwise have to remove from the C drive in DOS before another reformat.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Don't need another drive, just create a partition that size, if a format is needed, you'll only need to format that partition. the only downside to this is if the entire drive shoots craps... But that could be with anything, any drive, no matter what's on it. i'd keep critical data backed up in several places, different drives, machines, etc.

But, like Newc says, I wouldn't keep "anything" on the system partition, ever...

Pat

Comment

MAYDAY MAYDAY

Got a new 256MB DDR card and it's still shuting down [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Partition yes, that sounds smart... I'll be sure to do that later when this is fixed

Comment

Moboard or power supply...

Pat

Comment

A few years ago I bought 4 ram cards (256MB at a whopping $1 per Meg) and when I put them in my PC, the thing turned off when I did ANYTHING.
                I took them out and put the old stuff back in and it ran fine.

Make sure you're using the correct voltage RAM.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had one of my CPU's doing the same thing last month. Turned out to be spyware. Good goddamned spyware.

Norton could'nt do anything. Except lock up.

Locked up when trying to access any folders or the control panel.

The only way to access anything was to re-boot in safe mode. Which you should try Bob.

I keep most of my widows system files on a 20 or 30 gig hard drive. I re-formated and everything is fine.

Comment

Also could be your processor fan. Samething happened to my friends CPU. $2 fix.

Comment

I've already tried safe mode, it still restarts.

The Processor fan is working fine, it's pretty new and it's a real good one too.

I didn't check what PC2100 PC2700 and so on the RAM stick was, I'll try to check.
                      But i think Pat is right I'll see if i can test without getting a Power tester for now.

Comment

Go get a $30 power supply, plug it in to the board and your primary HDD, hang it off the side and boot it up, see what happens...

Pat

Comment

If it doesn't even POST (power on self test), it has nothing to do with Windows, spyware, etc. It's probably your mobo or power supply. At this point, take it in for a free diagnosis. Go to PC Club (or whatever) and tell them you want to buy the part that will allow your computer to POST successfully. Those guys love figuring out this stuff.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

The MoBo looked fine in sisoftsandra software and i'm pretty sure it's the power now,
                            I got alot of stuff in the pc and the power supply is still stock and the oldest part in the computer.

Just gotta figure out what power supply to get now

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              My computer shuts down when I open folders or a movie in media player or when i try to scan the computer with antivirus programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This problem certainly can be software related. I have had the same exact problem recently and it was spyware.

While the problem he is having may still be hardware related, I would try a different Video card, back up what I could, then re-format.

Comment

Why reformat if it's a simple bad power supply?

Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X