Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comp help needed: Virus or bad Power supply ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comp help needed: Virus or bad Power supply ?

I had almost the same exact thing happen to my work PC and it turned out to be the power supply.

Matt

Comment

Anything new on this Bob? It's like a movie with no ending... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Curious is all...

Pat

Comment

Hehehe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I just now installed a new power supply (350w)

Testing right now, so far so good...

Comment

It's just shutting down, not BSOD'ing? Just bang -> dead? How old is the powersupply, and what's the wattage??
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Start at the beginning of the thread 777...

Pat

Comment

Seems to be working pretty fine now!

KNOCK ON WOOD!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I was having a similiar problem, random shutdown and blue screens. It turned out to be a bad piece of memory. Thank god that Kingston has a lifetime warranty on their RAM. I just called them up and they sent me a new one within two business days and they are paying for me to ship the bad piece back. I did have to give a credit card so that they could put a hold on the total cost of the RAM, but I got my memory sooner and they paid shipping both ways.
                Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Glad you got it working.

Matt

Comment

It's running alot more stable now, but when i have alot of programs running it hangs or reboots, ran memtest again it froze at 34% second time it showed some errors. gonna try a different ram stick in the mornin see if it cures it

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Don't need another drive, just create a partition that size, if a format is needed, you'll only need to format that partition. the only downside to this is if the entire drive shoots craps... But that could be with anything, any drive, no matter what's on it. i'd keep critical data backed up in several places, different drives, machines, etc.

But, like Newc says, I wouldn't keep "anything" on the system partition, ever...

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple other advantages to having a second physical drive for your data:
                      <ul type="square">[*]performance - having the OS swap and page on one physical drive and having your data being managed on another is a huge win for doing any sort of audio/video editing.[*]portability - make it an external scsi/usb/firewire drive - grab your data and go - this is not necessarily a good idea if you are looking for maximum performance - it's a great idea if you want to have your music/photos/documents in a relatively small grab 'n go package.[/list]
                      For a single PC that is going to be used for digital recording and basic PC stuff I would go with two or three physical drives. Split disk 1 into two partitions - one for the OS and one for your apps. Disk 2 could be any number of partitions you feel like contending with - I'd just use one. Then add an external drive (that matches or exceeds the capacity of disk 2) for backup and portability.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Good point Tim, plus if your drive konks out on you, it doesn't matter how many partitions you have, all data will be lost.

Matt

Comment

UPDATE

new power supply, tried different RAM stick, tested graphic card in another PC, graphic card works well, the other things didn't help. Got a new MoBo ordered, hope it's the fix...better post before it shuts off

Comment

Dude re-format. Trust me.

Comment

By the time you get done you'll have enough parts to build another computer.

Whats next if the MB you get is not the solution? The Hard Drive. right? Are you going to tell me you are going to replace the hard drive next without even trying to format?

I hope you are formating right now.

Comment

Only other new part i got was the power supply and that was bad and old... but you are right, reformat is next after MoBo

Comment

Working...
                                X