Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poison Ivy Treatments? (Not for the squeamish.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poison Ivy Treatments? (Not for the squeamish.)

Its worst on my arms, but what bothers me the most is what is on my face.

Here is what I've been doing so far:

1. Pop open blisters. Drain.
    2. Wipe down with rubbing alcohol.
    3. Make a baking soda and water paste, and rub it in. Let dry, then rinse.
    4. Top off with either calamine or hydrocortisone, depending on my mood.
    5. Eat benadryl.

Anybody have a favorite home remedy they'd like to share?

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Poison Ivy Treatments? (Not for the squeamish.)

nasty!

post pics!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Poison Ivy Treatments? (Not for the squeamish

Never ever had it thank goodness. I guess everytime you get it you become less immune to it and are more suspect to contracting it again
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

That is twisted! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll put the buffer to it...

Comment

My wife reacts to poison ivy if she is anywhere near it. My son and I can pick it up and eat it like a salad and it doesn't faze us.

If you use it early enough, the alcohol breaks up the oils that irritate the skin.

Last time my wife had it (and really bad), she saw some in the front yard, pulled it up and threw it in the trash. Then she came inside and washed her hands right away. She pretty much just spread it around her arms and made sure that every inch of skin was covered [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Good luck bro.

Comment

Just don't touch your pee-pee...I did that once when I was a like in first grade. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Just don't touch your pee-pee...I did that once when I was a like in first grade. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't true, bro - [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'm positive that you've never touched my pee-pee. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I'm crazy allergic to it, and had it on my arms for 7 weeks 2 summers ago. The only thing that got rid of it for me was pouring Clorox Bleach onto the open sores. OK, I actually liberally applied it with Q-tips. It was so worth it. After I started the Clorox it was gone in a week.

jim
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I raced mountain bikes for years and was constantly in the woods exposed to ivy and I'm very sensitive to it. So here is a solution that really works.

ANY time you think you may have been exposed to it, take a shower as soon as you can but use Dawn dish soap instead of regular bath soap. The dish soap breaks down the greasy fluid that the plant leaves on your skin.

Even if it doesn't get it completely, the outbreak will be much less severe. Trust me, this WORKS. The trick is getting to a shower as soon as possible after being exposed to those nasty f-ing plants.

Of course, this doesn't do you any good now that you're already all red, itchy, bleeding, and swollen. But next time it can save you the pain. Good luck.

Comment

Cold water, instead of hot, helps close the pores and wash it off, too. After rubbing alcohol. But too late this time.

I'll try the bleach. Last time I had it (the last time I tried getting all the plants out of the back 40 with roundup) I actually rubbed salt in it to dry it faster. Didn't seem to work any better than the baking soda. This time, I didn't know I was near it, or I would have suited up. I thought I had it all gone.

When I was a kid, never got it. I, too, could have eaten it like salad. In my 20s, never got it. Last three years? I get it without even knowing I'm near it.

Thanks, all...
                      K

Comment

Get in the ocean, salt water always seemed to dry mine up within a couple of days. When I get poison whatever it lasts two weeks no matter what other home remedy I have tried. Salt water and Steroids were the only thing that got rid of it faster.
                        I also raced mountain bikes and would get it regularly, I found that washing exposed areas with Fels Naptha soap significantly reduced the outbreak.
                        "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Hey Keith~ Not that you are going to be able to get this in time but this shit works wonders for poison ivy.

http://www.tetrasil.com/conditions/poisonivy.html

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            nasty!

post pics!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

According to Grandma, aloe vera and vinegar will cure just about anything. Give'em a shot.

Comment

I dunno, Brad, the last time I had it, it didn't go away for three weeks. So I prolly do have time to order it.

I just tried the bleach. Only a REAL supid sumbitch would rub bleach on their skin. But so far it sure feels better - must be my relief that the initial agonizing pain is over. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X