Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always save your tracks! Fawkin' computers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always save your tracks! Fawkin' computers!

I've spent the last 2 hours composing a demo to hand out the band. I just put in a harmonizing solo and was getting ready to line that up (audacity likes to delay your recording a split second for some ungodly reason) and I got the popup of death, "Quit responding". Being as audacy is freeware, of course there was no autosave or anything like it. I about cried.

The stupid thing is that this is not the first time I've done this! You'd think I'd learn... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Always save your tracks! Fawkin\' computers!

Yeah. Couple of weeks ago, my band recorded a demo. The whole weekend, Friday-Sunday from noon until like 4am each day. We were just doing the finishing touches, correcting a guitar fuckup and adding one more line of backing vox, when the goddamned HDD decided to die. And by dying, I mean dying as in getting itself fucked up so thoroughly that it's probably a physical damage to the drive. 4 songs dead. Plus the whole album (13 songs) from the band of our friend who recorded us. Nowadays he's got a backup drive...
    We don't even have rough mixes. Just sad.

Comment

You can recover that data. There are hard drive recovery companies around. Keith Richards used such a company to recover his data in the exact same scenario.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i had to replace a maxtor 120gb a few weeks ago.......
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Yeah. Couple of weeks ago, my band recorded a demo. The whole weekend, Friday-Sunday from noon until like 4am each day. We were just doing the finishing touches, correcting a guitar fuckup and adding one more line of backing vox, when the goddamned HDD decided to die. And by dying, I mean dying as in getting itself fucked up so thoroughly that it's probably a physical damage to the drive. 4 songs dead. Plus the whole album (13 songs) from the band of our friend who recorded us. Nowadays he's got a backup drive...
          We don't even have rough mixes. Just sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that sucks. I'll quit bitching now!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You can recover that data. There are hard drive recovery companies around. Keith Richards used such a company to recover his data in the exact same scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

My laptop hard drive just died too (busted read/write head most likely). About $800 to recover the data... if they can recover it.

Comment

Physical damage is at least 600€ (1000$ or what) around here, money that nobody of us has right now. Might as well rerecord everything, which had been done in about 1 1/2 weeks for our friends' band. We'll need another 3 days I guess, and then it's time to get fuckin drunk. Again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Actually, the other band's songs sound better now than they did before. I hope that'll be the case for our songs as well. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X