Software extortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software extortion

Ok, here's a new one, but it really doesn't surprise me.
    I've had Zone Alarm for a couple of years now but finally decided to drop it. I endured the popups about my subscription expiring until finally they stopped popping up, but never uninstalled it and just shut it down whenever Windows started up.
    Then I got Norton AV 2005 and started having problems with Outlook Express not sending or receiving. At first I thought it was a settings issue, but when I compared the settings in my desktop to my laptop, both were the same, and I could send and receive all I wanted to on my laptop which also has Norton AV 2005, though that is a retail version, and my desktop has the downloaded upgrade.

So for the past week or two, I've been doing everything I can think of to get OE to send and receive to no avail.
    Finally I figure it's because of the new version of Norton, so I go to Symantec to get a patch or update (since LiveUpdate said it couldn't connect after 5 attempts).
    I go through the online Help thing and type in "OE doesn't send or receive" and one of the suggestions was to disable firewalls, which of course had already been done.
    Just on a hunch, I uninstalled Zone Alarm, rebooted, and wouldn't you know that fixed the trouble. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I do NOT appreciate any program that is designed and was purchased expressly for the protection of my computer holding me hostage by disabling my apps when it's time to pay for another upgrade. It's extortion, and someone should have their testicles removed because of it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Software extortion

Nortan AV may be doing the same thing as McAfee AV. It sets up a local proxy for your remote mail server in order to be able to scan incoming/outgoing email for viruses. I had to disable this in order to send/receive email properly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

hahahahaha windowz sucks!!

and i'd especially stay away from microsoft internet-related products like "outlook" ........
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Opensource doesn't have such issues.
        Opensource is the way to go, in fact, opensource doesn't care what you do with their apps, complete freedom, as it should be.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
        X