Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammer gets sentenced to 9 Years!!!

Spammer......

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] That's so freakin awesome!!!!!

Just line em up!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pat

Re: Spammer gets sentenced to 9 Years!!!

I agree with the prosecution, but the incarceration part I have a problem with. Shouldn't we just seize their property or fine them massively? Wouldn't that cell space be better served with someone who perpetrated a violent crime?
    Occupy JCF

Comment

awsome [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Any spammer with more than a couple of brain cells left has probably moved nearly all of their assets offshore to a jurisdiction that doesn't recognize judgments from US courts. In that light I think the jail sentence is fine because it's more of a shot across the bow of the spam industry than the beginning of a trend that's going to fill up our prisons to the extent that we'll be forced to release violent criminals to house spammers. That said it's also a futile gesture as the spammers will just move offshore and continue their operations.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Buba - "what are you in for?"

That dude - "spam"

Comment

I think rather than incarceration, they should have to buy one of everything a spammer sends them for the next nine years.

Comment

Fuggim.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Kind of ironic that the abc news site for this story gave me a popup ad. Hmm, maybe they should go to jail too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I understand and agree to a certain point something should be done about spammer/spam. Unfortunately, this is only the beginning of wasting mucho money on trials, investigations and etc. Why? This is one of those things that can't be fixed with just one effort or one penality being implemented.

Eliminating popups?
                  Alot of big businesses will be affected by this if it comes down to eliminating spam. Which I don't see happening. Its similar to cookies, the governement can't stop the use of cookies. IT businesses/world need to use cookies to custom tailor the needs of their consumers.
                  Popups, as annoying as they are are very useful to businesses. Mostly, it'll be the end users responsibility to use anti-popup software. It would nearly cripple IT businesses to pass law to stop popups. Don't get me wrong, I think to a degree it would serve useful if a law was passed to stop popups. However, the internet/IT businesses aren't there yet, it'll be awhile before we can get there.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

But with the ABC news thing/pop up, it's their property, "you" chose to go there, ( well sort of in this case anyway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) So basically, they can put anything they want up there. Look at local news portals, mopst of which require you to register with them before finishing a headline of some sort.

As for the incarcaration issue? There are laws in place, since this wasn't a violoent crime, he shouldn't do time? He stole bandwidth, thefts are considered offences that warrant jail time no? I know I probably paid close to $50k or more last year for bandwidth "directly" used by spammers, I could have one hell of a bike or a couple dozen custom shops instead... As for fining them, big deal, take something that means something to them, their freedom!

Just because a crime isn't violent, doesn't mean it shouldn't be punishable by jail time. While I agree, there are probably A LOT of people who should be jailed and aren't, I'm diggin the sh!t out of this!

Pat

Comment

I agree Pat. Bandwidth ain't cheap nor is storage space.

I hate any kind of spam and its nice to see this kind of stuff get some coverage.

I'm curious if anyone ever purchased anyting directly from a spam email. I sure as hell haven't.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm sure you are happy about it, honestly, I am too. But in reading that I'm also thinking about the murderers or rapists who get paroled more or less to make room for other offenders. These other offenders include spammers or someone who hasn't physically hurt someone.

What should be done to rectify the situation? I don't know, build more prisons? Instant death penalty with no appeals for rape or murder convictions where irrefutable DNA evidence is involved? I certainly don't have the answers I'm just opening a little bit of discussion on the matter besides, "YEAH THROW HIS DUMB ASS IN JAIL!!!"

(by the way, why don't you use the fixed avatar I sent you??)
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I'm sure you are happy about it, honestly, I am too. But in reading that I'm also thinking about the murderers or rapists who get paroled more or less to make room for other offenders. These other offenders include spammers or someone who hasn't physically hurt someone.

What should be done to rectify the situation? I don't know, build more prisons? Instant death penalty with no appeals for rape or murder convictions where irrefutable DNA evidence is involved? I certainly don't have the answers I'm just opening a little bit of discussion on the matter besides, "YEAH THROW HIS DUMB ASS IN JAIL!!!"

(by the way, why don't you use the fixed avatar I sent you??)

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys go to a completely different kind of prison than what people see in the movies. It's basically instructions to "not cross that white line over there", and they all sleep in a common sleeping area...no jail cell. The thought of having to toss Bubba's salad in the big house keeps these white collar criminals in line until the end of their sentence.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Thought I was using it Todd? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I agree with you bro, I really do, and I certainly don't have the answer. I just get a warm and fuzzy everytime I hear about these bottom feeders getting hammered for the sh!t that affects me directly and I sit here and can't do a damn thing about it, not enough to make a dent anyway. I guarantee I've got hundred's of mail servers manually blocked at border layer devices, and still get thousands a day, as do my clients...

Anyone want to go in the prison business? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

<font color="yellow">Cool topic....and unfortunately not as easy as it appears.

While I agree "a crime is a crime" and should be dealt with accordingly, it opens up a lot of societal (SP) issues.

It's been said by somebody that to determine any society, simply look at its prisons. Kinda a bold statement.

I don't agree with violent crimes, murder, rape, child molestation. I think perpetrators should be killed publically (possibly pay per view) to get the word out and to subsidise the lesser criminals stay's in jail. It's sad that when a criminal, to a certain extent, has greater freedoms and certain benefits that Joe Average citizen have (education etc.).

I don't think that internet spamming will ever be totally stopped or Federally regulated to be 100% effective. Spamming, to a big business, is still the cheapest and convenient means to advertise a product, service, or idealogy out there. Even with fines, it is cheaper than postage stamps.

Sort of like these companies who intentionally break EPA guidlines and get caught. It's simply good business at the end of the day financially.

What's the answer?? I dunno. I certainly feel bad for honest people like Pat and others who are harmed by this to benefit somebody else, that's definitely not right in the grand scheme of things.

Just random thoughts. </font>

Comment

Working...
                              X