Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

concerns about buying a 16 year old guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: concerns about buying a 16 year old guitar?

I have a 17 years old guitar.
    The Floyd keeps in tune PERFECTLY (it's a jackson licenced)
    The action is VERY low (about 2 mm) and there is VERY little buzz
    The paint is chipped. Yeah, nothing's perfect.
    The frets needed levelling.
    It plays like a wet dream.
    The electronics worked perfectly.

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with old guitars. They need some TLC but they're well work it if they're more expensive axes that are cheaper now. I had not played mine before and I certainly do not regret.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I agree, Ace, but if a guitar has been put through hell, it loses its soul. I played an old ('69) Gibson Hummingbird in a shop that they only wanted $650 for. It was dead. It sounded ok, but it had no "life" and defintely no soul.
      Then the guy tells me they had cut the neck off and reseated it. It was a good job, but it killed the guitar.
      Meanwhile, I've got a Japanese-made Gretsch Dorado acoustic that NEEDS to have the neck reset, and needs new strings, but it's got a tone that's out of this world, and a lot left to sing about.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Yes, I agree with what Newc said. Just like anything else with a soul, a guitar can die... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with many of the points made, i have a Fender Strat Reissue that is 7 years old, it has marks, rust, dings and scratches all over it, it plays like crap and is only good to use for blues and rock. But that guitar has more soul and history than my other guitars, i've played every thing and every where with it even though i don't really like playing it. Wierd huh.

That said, i like to have a new guitar so i can 'break in it' myself', i don't like guitars that have been around quite a bit and have the marks to show it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
        X