No announcement yet.

Competition over Lord Stanley's Cup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition over Lord Stanley's Cup???

Amateurs Want to Play for Stanley Cup

1 hour, 52 minutes ago

TORONTO - A group of amateur hockey players is taking the NHL to court to determine whether somebody can play for the Stanley Cup.

The 'Wednesday Nighters' filed a claim in Ontario Superior Court on Wednesday asking it to clarify the terms under which Canadian Governor-General Lord Stanley donated the Cup in 1892. The NHL season was canceled in February amid a labor dispute.

"The fact that the NHL has suspended its play this year doesn't mean that Canadians and others don't have the right to compete for the Stanley Cup," said Tim Gilbert, the groups' lawyer.

Gilbert said Lord Stanley's intention when he donated the Stanley Cup was to have teams compete for the trophy every year, and a labor dispute shouldn't prevent that from happening.

He hopes the court will force Stanley Cup trustees Brian O'Neill and Ian Morrison to find teams to compete for the Cup.

"We do not take this lightly," said Gard Shelley, an amateur hockey player in his mid-50s. "The Stanley Cup is the greatest sports trophy anywhere, ever. It is unique and a huge part of our culture and heritage."

The 'Wednesday Nighters' initially offered to play for it themselves — white jerseys against black — but eventually decided that competitive teams should play for it. They don't even use goalies in their league.

"This did start off as an amusing idea after Wednesday night hockey one night," amateur David Burt said. "I'm frustrated as most hockey fans are that the NHL and the NHLPA lost the season. I don't know which side of that issue I'm on. I'm just frustrated with the fact that there is no hockey being played. I don't think that's what Lord Stanley intended. I think he had a higher purpose for his donation."

Current Canadian Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson suggested in February that if the NHL won't award the Stanley Cup this year, then it should be the top prize in women's hockey.

O'Neill declined to comment Wednesday but said the claims would be contested.

In February, O'Neill said there was no legal way the trophy could be awarded for another competition under an agreement with the NHL. He said it would only be possible if the NHL decided it didn't want the Stanley Cup anymore, or if the league went out of business.

The 'Wednesday Nighters' application is scheduled to be heard by the court July 18 — well after the Stanley Cup is usually awarded — but Gilbert hopes to have the date moved up to sometime in May.

This could be just the second time the Stanley Cup isn't awarded. The last was 1919, when a flu epidemic forced the finals to be called off.
    Occupy JCF

Re: Competition over Lord Stanley\'s Cup???

Let's get a JCF team together & play 'em for it Tekk,my knees & hip are gone but I might be able to play the enforcer role!!LOL!!

Comment

sign me up!!!!!
      "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

I'm in....

Have skates, will travel... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

The funny thing is this, both the amatuer team and a JCF team could beat the Black Hawks 10 times out of 10. So, who are the real amatuers?..........

Comment

DOH!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

I read something about the "Free Stanley" movement a while back. They were trying to mount some kind of legal challenge to force a playoff for the cup. The NHL claims that they own it & don't have to honor the original charter.

http://www.freestanley.com/mission.html

Comment

total lack of respect for what it means to win the Stanely Cup. You have to earn the right to play for it, no other way.

having said that, I'm down to play for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm in too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

When's practice.....& where?? F*ck,I haven't skated in way too long!!LOL!!

Comment

Left wing, ready to rock.

blue and white jersey too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Can I coach? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I call Goalie [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I got sleeper, I mean center, I need to loaf a bit... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pat

Admin's, when do we receive our socks and sweaters? And I'm assuming we'll need to take the bus for the first year? or is there funding for our own charter?

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The staney cup was originally like the U.S OPEN in golf anyteam could enter and challenge for the cup.

Having said that if these bozos want to play for the staney cup they should have to play with the same rules and standards as they did in those days.The goalies should not wear masks and there should be 7 skaters aside not including goaies

Comment

Working...
                              X